Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
75 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Is it a reward for killing the guy who invented the 10x10 challenge? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AND WHY DO YOU HAVE TO PUBLISH IT?
yuk

January you can forget the whole Geeklist forum.
cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. That's a fad that can just die please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

To each their own. If the challenges add excitement, motivation, or fun for someone, then I see no reason to begrudge them that method.

I don't participate in any of the "challenges" because for me that's taking a step towards turning my game time into work.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's terrible that some people are having communal fun with our hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
You know it's not mandatory, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you even care that people are doing this? It's easy enough to ignore the threads, so just do that. Now could we just get back to complaining about the site redesign...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's annoying, but death seems a bit harsh.wow

Perhaps a more appropriate punishment would be something my dad used to say: "That guy should be shot with goat s**t."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
The 10x10 challenge is something positive and should be celebrated.

rocksnrolls wrote:
Why would you even care that people are doing this? It's easy enough to ignore the threads, so just do that. Now could we just get back to complaining about the site redesign...

Or how people rate games. That stuff is serious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the OP I also hate monopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on you can't be serious! 10x10 is just awesome!

Join us! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
For those saying how easy it is to ignore the geeklists--you're right! It's as trivial as our complaints, even if hyperbolic. It's also just as easy to ignore this thread and allow us to vent our frustration, no matter how trivial.

BTW, anyone know how to remain subscribed a game's GLs but not get a notification every time that game is included on someone's dumb 10x10 GL?

Yes, I said dumb. Grow some skin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have your tried if blocking the 10x10 challenge geeklist works?

(If it works you get rid of over half of the participants. Then you'll have only 170+ participant geeklists left.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm meh on the 10x10 posts. It's the very existence of the 100x1 that annoys me.

This hobby is full of people who play a game only a few times. So I can see why the 10x10 can be seen as celebrating games you love. But the 100x1 speaks to the worst of the hobby. And it's the part that hinders my chances of getting to play games I love when everyone else just wants the hottest off the presses before they move on to the next game and then the next game etc. etc.

A 100x1 challenge is putting a badge of honor on what is already a bad habit in the hobby. You play a 100 different games in a year? Great for you. If you had fun, that's what counts. But why should you celebrate it or brag about it? It feels very very childish. The 10x!0 does not. I might not appreciate the 10x10 lists, but it least they honors board games instead of short attention spans, gluttony and/or wasting money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the Geeklists on the front page are 10x10. In fact, I've seen so few of them this year I forgot it was even a thing.

Create your own damn Geeklist!

Actually, join in on this one... The Chain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet if you killed that person somebody would make a geeklist in memory of them and it would get loads of likes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be awesome if the 10x10 folks started their own guild. That way they'd have a place to post and enjoy each other's reports, without those who find them aggravating ever having to see them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
I'm meh on the 10x10 posts. It's the very existence of the 100x1 that annoys me.

This hobby is full of people who play a game only a few times. So I can see why the 10x10 can be seen as celebrating games you love. But the 100x1 speaks to the worst of the hobby. And it's the part that hinders my chances of getting to play games I love when everyone else just wants the hottest off the presses before they move on to the next game and then the next game etc. etc.

A 100x1 challenge is putting a badge of honor on what is already a bad habit in the hobby. You play a 100 different games in a year? Great for you. If you had fun, that's what counts. But why should you celebrate it or brag about it? It feels very very childish. The 10x!0 does not. I might not appreciate the 10x10 lists, but it least they honors board games instead of short attention spans, gluttony and/or wasting money.

At least you're not judgemental… shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West Burbs
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here at BGG, the penalty for doing anything that I disapprove of is death. Or it should be, and if you disagree with me, then may your demise be quick. And don't complain about player elimination, because you're not in the game anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
travvller wrote:

At least you're not judgemental… shake

Damn straight I'm judgmental!

Because these bad habits harm MY chances to play good games.

Do you know how many times I've been able to play games like Puerto Rico, Goa or Container? PR: 0. Goa: 0. Container: 2x. The reason why I don't get to play these older games is because without fail whenever I go to a gaming event the majority of people only want to play the hottest new games. And you know what? A lot of those games really really suck. A lot of them are Kickstarter games that were never fully play tested which makes it even more annoying.

Basically this is just your way of saying, "It's rude to call out other people's bad habits." So be it. It is a bad habit. Far too many gamers are only attracted to the new and shiny and quickly move on after 1 or 2 plays. It is gluttony. And it's rampant in this hobby and it makes it close to impossible for those of us with very limited time to play actual great games. Why should I be okay dokie with 100x1 geeklists which celebrate the very thing I dislike and ruins the limited time I have to play games outside my home?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:

To each their own. If the challenges add excitement, motivation, or fun for someone, then I see no reason to begrudge them that method.

I don't participate in any of the "challenges" because for me that's taking a step towards turning my game time into work.

~V

Yep, pretty much this for me. I think it's great for those that enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG needs a non-moaning challenge.

I'm going global with my 3x10x10 geeklist later.

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A guy did not invent the 10x10 challenge. It was a gal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
when i get home, i'm so tired. just roll over, please, i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it a reward for killing the guy who posts threads only to complain about minor things?

AND WHY DO YOU HAVE TO POST IT?
yuk

January you can forget the whole General forum
cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:

Do you know how many times I've been able to play games like Puerto Rico, Goa or Container? PR: 0. Goa: 0. Container: 2x. The reason why I don't get to play these older games is because without fail whenever I go to a gaming event the majority of people only want to play the hottest new games. And you know what? A lot of those games really really suck. A lot of them are Kickstarter games that were never fully play tested which makes it even more annoying.

You need to work on finding a decent gaming group rather than going to gaming events. My group get repeated plays of the games we like frequently. But that didn't happen by chance; the group was deliberately set up to cater to that. (Hence it's invite only. Elitism is underrated).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enough problems painting 1x100 mini's. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.