Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preface:
Overall, I like what I see in this game and I think it truly is an improvement over Bruneval.
The welcome improvements are (IMO):
- British units can perform 2 actions at game start vs. 1 for the Germans (this better simulates the "surprise factor" of a Commando raid), with Germans getting 2 after the Alert Level raises above 6
- British Officers benefits are streamlined
- the introduction of the "Assault" type of Combat, that leverages the balance of the game w.r.t. its predecessor, and actually enhances the "immersion" factor (German units are stronger at Ranged Combat, commandos are better at Assault).
- how the German units behaviour vs. alarm level is handled is probably more balanced (first regroup, then attack in force)
- No "chain reaction" of markers activation due to the passage of German Units through non-activated ZG (in this game, the Germans move avoiding non-activated ZG's)
- key Sequence of Play revision that now allows to remove "Job Done" markers from the British BEFORE the Germans attack (the game-killer for me in Bruneval).

Nevertheless I have a few questions before I can fully develop my judgement.

Possible errata:
- One of the German MG counters (and only one) has a MF of 3. All the others have 0. Is this intentional?
- There is a contradiction in the rule and in the Terrain Effect Chart on page 2. I think the maximum stacking level per LCA is 8 (as in the rules) and not 4 as in the table, otherwise you need to disembark Group 2 in two waves and the game starting conditions would not match.
- Movement lines are either Blue or Green (solid or dotted), there is no Yellow.
- There is no need to put the German MG and Officer counters in the Garrison draw cup as they are not pulled at random, only the standard infatry units are (and have different factors among them)

Clarifications:

Actions
The way the rules are worded seems to indicate that the British can either:
- perform NO Action
- perform 2 Actions
So the British units cannot choose to perform only 1 (one)?

British Mortar Unit:
I am struggling to understand how the rules are supposed to work for the British mortar to make it a worthwhile (and actually precious) combat unit.
If I simply apply the rule as written and understood, the mortar can attack at R=2 with:
6 (FT) + 1d6 -1 (R=2) -0/1/2 (depending on the turn due to the visibility modifier)

But ANY german unit under attack will defend with
FT + 1d10 + Protection Value of the area.

So basically the unit can defend itself as if the mortar was shooting from an adjacent zone?
Given the odds, this makes the R=2 range attacks completely useless than attacking from R=1, further complicated by the very likely possibility that the mortar is eliminated by a unit that theoretically cannot attack it at that range (R=2)!
Am I missing something?
I think that the easiest way to resolve the contradiction is to say that you can attack with the Mortar from R=2 and if the Attack Value is less than the Defense Value, the Mortar DOES NOT loose any step (but true only if at R=2)...

German Activation:
1) The rules state: "If it is adjacent, take a test for each situation in which a British unit or stack of units carries out an action in an adjacent GZ (including the movement that allows it to become adjacent) to a GZ".
Am I correct in assuming that if in Turn X I move adjacent to an A or B marker, but then in turn X+1 I do absolutely NOTHING (0 Actions) with that unit or stack or the first action I do is to leave the adjacent GZ with any or all units, I do not have to test the counter again (assuming I did not activate it on Turn X test, obviously)?

2) If I am moving a British unit/stack and each GZ I move into is adjacent to the same specific A or B marker, is it correct to roll for activation of that marker for each move I make? I think yes, but would like confirmation.

Movement
Is the following a legal move for the LCA?
1st Action: disembark (does it cost anything to the LCA? To me no).
2nd Action: move from the G1/2 D/E area to any other area not under fire from the pillboxes

Ranged Combat
I struggle to understand how a defender "Defense Value" should be affected only by those units that have not yet performed an action (as it is written in the rules).
Given how the SoP (Sequence of Play) is structured, how is it possible for a stack of units not to defend with all units when their "Job Done" or "Alles Gemacht" markers have all been removed at the end of the previous action phase?
I think it is a typo/creep-in of how the system worked in Bruneval, but it should not apply here, i.e. one basically defends with the top unit FT modified by ALL and any Stacking Levels he has with it, for ANY ranged attacked against that area.

Thanks!

PS= Can we expect that Bruneval will ever be updated to this game's standard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Ramaille
France
Meaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have performed some playtests to the game. I can try to answer some questions :

1) The german MG with 3 MF is the one coming in reinforcements and is marked R not G. 3 MF so it can moved or else it is useless...
2) The table states 4xLCA, so 4 units not stacking level. But still confusing I agree.
3) Yes no yellow (there was yellow in playtest versions)
4) German MG and officer should be kept out of the draw cup, as you suggested. I play also this way.
5) British units can perform 0 to 2 actions, of course.
6) The mortar has little chance of success. But it is mostly useful at R=2 where it cannot suffer casualty. The precision was given by the designer.
7) German activation : moving in any GZ will trigger an activation test each time you enter a new GZ even during the same movement action. Moving out does not trigger an activation test. Performing 0 actions will also not trigger activation test.
8) A unit disembarks from a LCA in a D/E GZ to a beach GZ. It can then move. These are separate actions. [EDIT: see my comment below]
9) Ranged combat : you are right. You always defend here with all stacked units.

With 3 plays (not counting playtests), I only got at best a half-success with no bad events occuring. Very tough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Olivier,

Many thanks for your answers, VERY helpful!

A few more after more plays:
Assault
At the end of each round of assault, can you reassign the units on the front column and in the support column?
Basically, picking up from the example in the rulebook, once you kill the last German unit in the front column, can you re-assign the Commando unit that took it out to the above rows?
Another example: if one of the front column units suffers a casualty, can you swap it with a support unit (on the same row or other)?
This would apply to both Germans and British were the only difference is that the British gets to choose the order.

Actions
Since Disembarking is an action, can you do this:
Disembark-Move into a Marker-Assault the units revealed by the marker?

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Ramaille
France
Meaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assault : At the beginning of every round, you reassign units like it was the beginning of a new assault. Your are free to reassign as you like so long as every unit has at least one opponent in front of it. The assault will take as many rounds to get either no more defender left or one stacking level to get a prisoner or an officer.

Action : This one is more tricky. Embark/disembark is considered an action. I especially asked the designer about embarking and it was clearly said that you cannot embark in the same move. You have to move to the beach GZ (1 action) then embark (second action). However, I played disembarking as part of the movement action, or else during the first turn you are stick to the beach GZ and the remain of the commandos must wait another turn in the LCAs. You cannot decide to disembark via C5 or C6. These are accessible via special events only.
I think it makes sense to wait for embarking. The LCAs must first spot you and make ready for the troops to embark. You do normally not need to wait during disembark however.
So this is my opinion which contradicts my answer above (part 8) and it would need a final decision from the designer.

Hope it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does help a lot!

Thanks again.

Have some GG for your help.

BTW: three full plays and no win for me cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PHILIPPE HARDY
France
LYON
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I missed all these exchanges, sorry I was busy ! Olivier gave the correct answers, thank you.
Nice to see that you have noticed the improvement since Bruneval.
I will have a deeper look at your comments for the next version for playing Ouistreham 1944 !
Kind regards
Philippe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.