Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: [Amazon US] 7 Wonders base set $30.90 - *Be Cautious* rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Soukup
United States
Winona
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.amazon.com/Asmodee-SEV-EN01ASM-7-Wonders/dp/B004...

CSI: $39.99
MM: $42.49

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Croft
United States
Smithfield
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Amazon US] 7 Wonders base set $30.90
Buyer beware. I bought this last week when it was $31.80. It arrived with all eight corners of the box damaged. And there were printing errors on a few of the cards. Some of the age 2 cards were a different shade of blue, and a seige worshop card was missing the number for how many players it's used for. The shrink wrap was ridiculously thin too. Don't know if it was a careless production or a knock off attempt but I am very disappointed. It shipped by amazon prime. It's being returned.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.M. Diller
United States
North Street
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Amazon US] 7 Wonders base set $30.90
kelmarcos wrote:
Buyer beware. I bought this last week when it was $31.80. It arrived with all eight corners of the box damaged. And there were printing errors on a few of the cards. Some of the age 2 cards were a different shade of blue, and a seige workshop card was missing the number for how many players it's used for. The shrink wrap was ridiculously thin too. Don't know if it was a careless production or a knock off attempt but I am very disappointed. It shipped by amazon prime. It's being returned.


Wow that sounds like a knock-off, except I didn't realize that was a thing for hobby games?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Croft
United States
Smithfield
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Amazon US] 7 Wonders base set $30.90
jmdiller wrote:
Wow that sounds like a knock-off, except I didn't realize that was a thing for hobby games?

shake Me neither, and there are 4 other recent, poorly starred reviews all claiming similar experiences. Makes me believe it wasn't just an unlucky copy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Soukup
United States
Winona
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Amazon US] 7 Wonders base set $30.90 - *Buyer Beware*
Added *Buyer Beware* on title. Thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bingo Longholes

Providence
Rhode Island
msg tools
badge
Avatar
Re: [Amazon US] 7 Wonders base set $30.90 - *Buyer Beware*
kelmarcos wrote:
Buyer beware. I bought this last week when it was $31.80. It arrived with all eight corners of the box damaged. And there were printing errors on a few of the cards. Some of the age 2 cards were a different shade of blue, and a seige worshop card was missing the number for how many players it's used for. The shrink wrap was ridiculously thin too. Don't know if it was a careless production or a knock off attempt but I am very disappointed. It shipped by amazon prime. It's being returned.


I'm just amazed that on top of everything else, each and all eight corners were damaged. Poor thing never stood a chance, did it? Thanks for the warning!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Re: [Amazon US] 7 Wonders base set $30.90 - *Buyer Beware*
The direct from Amazon listing is $32.19.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hardin
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Amazon US] 7 Wonders base set $30.90 - *Buyer Beware*
jmdiller wrote:
kelmarcos wrote:
Buyer beware. I bought this last week when it was $31.80. It arrived with all eight corners of the box damaged. And there were printing errors on a few of the cards. Some of the age 2 cards were a different shade of blue, and a seige workshop card was missing the number for how many players it's used for. The shrink wrap was ridiculously thin too. Don't know if it was a careless production or a knock off attempt but I am very disappointed. It shipped by amazon prime. It's being returned.


Wow that sounds like a knock-off, except I didn't realize that was a thing for hobby games?


Its a HUGE business overseas. I couldn't tell you how many knock off games I came across while living in China that looked like the real deal only to have crappy, or missing components. Hell I even have a copy of Saboteur I bought in a Toys R Us in a mall in Shanghai that I'm convinced isn't a sanctioned version. Makes me think even the Toys R Us was fake...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Leamons
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fear The Fin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Amazon US] 7 Wonders base set $30.90 - *Buyer Beware*
kingarthur1976 wrote:
jmdiller wrote:
kelmarcos wrote:
Buyer beware. I bought this last week when it was $31.80. It arrived with all eight corners of the box damaged. And there were printing errors on a few of the cards. Some of the age 2 cards were a different shade of blue, and a seige workshop card was missing the number for how many players it's used for. The shrink wrap was ridiculously thin too. Don't know if it was a careless production or a knock off attempt but I am very disappointed. It shipped by amazon prime. It's being returned.


Wow that sounds like a knock-off, except I didn't realize that was a thing for hobby games?


Its a HUGE business overseas. I couldn't tell you how many knock off games I came across while living in China that looked like the real deal only to have crappy, or missing components. Hell I even have a copy of Saboteur I bought in a Toys R Us in a mall in Shanghai that I'm convinced isn't a sanctioned version. Makes me think even the Toys R Us was fake...


Don't you mean "YUUUGE"? It is January 20th, after all.
7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Amazon US] 7 Wonders base set $30.90 - *Buyer Beware*
Kinda feel like if you're going to put a Buyer Beware on it, then you should list which one of the Amazon's 3rd parties to beware of. There are 4 which are the cheapest with only 10 cents difference.

Just helps people know which one to avoid if they're interested in buying it y'know?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
HODL
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Amazon US] 7 Wonders base set $30.90 - *Buyer Beware*
kingarthur1976 wrote:
Its a HUGE business overseas. I couldn't tell you how many knock off games I came across while living in China that looked like the real deal only to have crappy, or missing components. Hell I even have a copy of Saboteur I bought in a Toys R Us in a mall in Shanghai that I'm convinced isn't a sanctioned version. Makes me think even the Toys R Us was fake...
With 7 Wonders, it sounds like they finally got smart about what games to counterfeit. I remember a couple of early targets - Saboteur and The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow - seemed like really odd choices. One day they're going to figure out that there's a million dollars to be made by counterfeiting Glory to Rome black box. The quality on the original printing was so dodgy, no one would be able to tell.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hardin
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:
kingarthur1976 wrote:
Its a HUGE business overseas. I couldn't tell you how many knock off games I came across while living in China that looked like the real deal only to have crappy, or missing components. Hell I even have a copy of Saboteur I bought in a Toys R Us in a mall in Shanghai that I'm convinced isn't a sanctioned version. Makes me think even the Toys R Us was fake...
With 7 Wonders, it sounds like they finally got smart about what games to counterfeit. I remember a couple of early targets - Saboteur and The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow - seemed like really odd choices. One day they're going to figure out that there's a million dollars to be made by counterfeiting Glory to Rome black box. The quality on the original printing was so dodgy, no one would be able to tell.


I came across several counterfeit copies of Catan, as well as had all of my wooden pieces removed from my legit Catan copy in my checked bags in Pudong Airport. Funny enough they left the hard to get fish expansion in the box, but stole my damn house and roads... lol.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
HODL
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kingarthur1976 wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:
kingarthur1976 wrote:
Its a HUGE business overseas. I couldn't tell you how many knock off games I came across while living in China that looked like the real deal only to have crappy, or missing components. Hell I even have a copy of Saboteur I bought in a Toys R Us in a mall in Shanghai that I'm convinced isn't a sanctioned version. Makes me think even the Toys R Us was fake...
With 7 Wonders, it sounds like they finally got smart about what games to counterfeit. I remember a couple of early targets - Saboteur and The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow - seemed like really odd choices. One day they're going to figure out that there's a million dollars to be made by counterfeiting Glory to Rome black box. The quality on the original printing was so dodgy, no one would be able to tell.


I came across several counterfeit copies of Catan, as well as had all of my wooden pieces removed from my legit Catan copy in my checked bags in Pudong Airport. Funny enough they left the hard to get fish expansion in the box, but stole my damn house and roads... lol.
WTH? And I thought domestic security was random.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hecox
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Game Reviewer
badge
Help, I can't stop laughing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The company selling the game is called "AYC UNDERWEAR LLC".
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bingo Longholes

Providence
Rhode Island
msg tools
badge
Avatar
cunning stunt wrote:
I remember a couple of early targets - Saboteur and The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow - seemed like really odd choices.


I think Saboteur was or is popular in Asia, where supporting the 'genuine version' is a personal-- but not always popular-- choice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Croft
United States
Smithfield
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, was at work when I first replied back. 7 Wonders came up in my hot deals and wanted to put it out there right away, since the price is quite good.

My copy was sold by Green Boat. Which is unfortunate because they have 100%, with like 900 reviews. Not someone I'd expect to receive a bad copy from.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lam
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
kelmarcos wrote:
Sorry, was at work when I first replied back. 7 Wonders came up in my hot deals and wanted to put it out there right away, since the price is quite good.

My copy was sold by Green Boat. Which is unfortunate because they have 100%, with like 900 reviews. Not someone I'd expect to receive a bad copy from.


If it was fulfilled by amazon, that could be the problem. In the last couple years, they have started mixing stock together from all people selling with fulfilled by amazon. So everyone ships their product in, they all get mixed together in the warehouse. Someone buys from one of these people, they grab a random game from the box of games and send it out to you.

Everything Amazon does is to stream line the process. Everyone complains about customers buying from 'obvious scammers' when they should really be complaining about Amazon. The 3rd party sales are now a huge chunk of their business and very profitable. They don't seem interested in stamping out scammers out of fear it will impact the growth of this important piece of their pie. At some point Amazon will get serious, but only when its obviously costing them more than the 3rd party sellers. Because as a 3rd party seller, what are you going to do, quit amazon? Since there isn't a viable alternative they don't care. As a business, you will cut off your nose to spite your face.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
bjjarm wrote:

If it was fulfilled by amazon, that could be the problem. In the last couple years, they have started mixing stock together from all people selling with fulfilled by amazon. So everyone ships their product in, they all get mixed together in the warehouse. Someone buys from one of these people, they grab a random game from the box of games and send it out to you.


I'm not sure how true this is. I recently had a fulfilled order canceled because they couldn't find the item specific to that company in their warehouse. There were many other in stock fulfilled by amazon listing and the item was quickly shipped when I reordered from one of them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S S
msg tools
mbmbmb
Amazon fulfillment allocation is strange FWIS -

Let's say companies A and B both have a specific game warehoused at warehouse X and company C has the same game at warehouse Y -

If a customer buys a game specifically from company A they might be sent a game originally warehoused and sent in for company B.
But if a customer buys a game from company C and then it is no longer in stock they will be told of a shortage because there are no more locally housed games of that type at warehouse Y.

When an order goes to be shipped the item ISBN/UPC/ASIN is checked and then the condition (new, like new, very good, good, etc). The item's condition should be verified at the point shipping, but beyond that it is a crapshoot.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lam
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
cormor321 wrote:
bjjarm wrote:

If it was fulfilled by amazon, that could be the problem. In the last couple years, they have started mixing stock together from all people selling with fulfilled by amazon. So everyone ships their product in, they all get mixed together in the warehouse. Someone buys from one of these people, they grab a random game from the box of games and send it out to you.


I'm not sure how true this is. I recently had a fulfilled order canceled because they couldn't find the item specific to that company in their warehouse. There were many other in stock fulfilled by amazon listing and the item was quickly shipped when I reordered from one of them.


http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/08/amazons-chinese-counterfeit-p...

Relevant quote: "Furthermore, Amazon's commingled inventory option bundles together products from different sellers, meaning that a counterfeit jacket could be sent to an Amazon facility by one merchant and actually sold by another."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hardin
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
May be getting way off track here folks and bordering on discussing retailers territory. (I'm of course as guilty here as the rest)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, she knows it's a multipass. Anyway, we're in love.-Korben Dallas
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fascinating and informative discussion. I didn't know, and now I do!thumbsup
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Washington
msg tools
badge
That's no moon....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bjjarm wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
bjjarm wrote:

If it was fulfilled by amazon, that could be the problem. In the last couple years, they have started mixing stock together from all people selling with fulfilled by amazon. So everyone ships their product in, they all get mixed together in the warehouse. Someone buys from one of these people, they grab a random game from the box of games and send it out to you.


I'm not sure how true this is. I recently had a fulfilled order canceled because they couldn't find the item specific to that company in their warehouse. There were many other in stock fulfilled by amazon listing and the item was quickly shipped when I reordered from one of them.


http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/08/amazons-chinese-counterfeit-p...

Relevant quote: "Furthermore, Amazon's commingled inventory option bundles together products from different sellers, meaning that a counterfeit jacket could be sent to an Amazon facility by one merchant and actually sold by another."


While this is true in a worst case scenario, It's not the norm. All FBA (fulfilled by Amazon) items have a special unique barcode that is supposed to cover the factory SKU barcode on the product and allows the system to keep track of vendor owned product (this is important from a legal asset reporting standpoint). Sure, sometimes the barcode sticker can not completely cover the original barcode and thus items can get mis-scanned or the FBA barcode sticker can fall off, but again, this is far from being a normal occurrence.

Source: 2 years as a QC Lead in an Amazon facility.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.