GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,304 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island» Forums » General

Subject: Rumored Difficulty Putting Me Off rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pixxel Wizzard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I like co-op games a lot, and I lean toward ameritrash almost exclusively. This game might be right in my wheelhouse, however, everyone talks about how brutal it is and how difficult it is to win. This gives me pause. I like a challenge and don't have to win every time, but rarely ever winning isn't much fun either.

So, what do you think? Is this a game for me? Are there any ways to modify the difficulty if I find it too hard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wood
United Kingdom
Lytham St Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can modify the difficulty by adding Friday and/ or the Dog which gives you extra actions. I haven't beaten the game yet (after three or four attempts) but it's such a great game you don't actually mind (well I don't anyway.) Don't be put off - it's brilliant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a phenomenal game. And like most games there are a few things you can do to make it easier. And of course you can always use house rules like any other game.

To be honest though, after playing a few times and learning I rarely lose any more. With each new scenario I play, I learn something new that I carry over to the next scenario.

You should go on YouTube and watch it played a few times to ensure that you might like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kamin
Poland
Cracov
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree, game is that good, You don't mind loosing, but You starting to thikn what can You do better wich gives You extra power for another play. Maybe You like SF more, than wait a little. Portal just anounced First Martians, which they say to be Robinson on red planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Thompson
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard but not impossible.

With a few changes you can adjust the difficulty.

Like said before you can add Friday or the dog. If you are really struggling you could add a third starting item to give you a leg up.

Its a really great game and wonderful theme. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys coops and/or solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Winning coop games is boring.

Losing coop games a bunch before you get to that win is the fun part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Martin
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No doubt this is a difficult game, but to me its acceptably difficult and has a few options to adjust the difficulty that make sense thematically. To expound on its difficulty level I relate my experiences with Robinson vs Ghost Stories.

First, I know this is about difficulty, but Robinson is also a more complex game overall. For me, this same complexity really allows for a rich story to be told within the mechanics.

With all that said every time I play Robinson, I always feel like I have chance to win - right up to the end when you freeze to death or whatever else the island throws at you. Alternatively at no point when I played Ghost Stories did I ever feel like I was going to win, even over several plays. To me that kind of uphill climb is unacceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.S. Barker
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have doubts about the game, watch Ricky Royal's video series first.

Ricky Royals play-through:
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/22180/robinson-crusoe-advent...

Then, install Vassal:
http://www.vassalengine.org/download.php

download the RC mod:
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Robinson_Crusoe:_Adv...

Keep the rule-book handy which you can download from the file section:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/83030/rules-english-porta...

Other than time, your out zero investment, you can determine if the game is for you by making an informed decision based on your own experience. In the end if you like it, you can purchase with confidence, or simply save your money for another game.

Everything I linked to is for the first edition game. So please keep that in mind.

Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Idziak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Judging from your description it's not a game for you. It's more difficult than average co-op and definitelly is not ameritrash. While it's very thematic, game mechanics are more euro style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree this is definitely a euro game with a strong theme. As for difficulty... Ive never been completely destroyed in this game. When ive lost its not like i had no chance of winning. Its all about the decisions you make and how risky you want to be. This can turn around very quickly in RC. One round you feel youre doing ok and the next round it can totally turn on you.

Like many people here said i have never played a bad game. Theres always a story to tell whether win or lose and its always entertaining. I cant see myself getting rid of this game anytime in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nuke_morningstar
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
badge
No Clear Mind
mbmbmbmbmb
The design of the game is very intelligent, you can do various things to change the difficulty. You can add extra actions, you can customize the threat card ratios a little (more adventures or less adventures), you can add an item card or two. There are multiple (and different type of) ways to alter game difficulty. It gives me nerd chills thinking how smart the mechanics of this game is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The difficulty is my favorite aspect of the game. I don't find it to be a discouraging difficulty like some other games. I actually feel motivated to try again when the game beats me, and I've yet to feel cheated by some event card draws (which is something that can happen with this type of mechanic).

I think because the game is a good blend of puzzler, euro, adventure, and co-op, it overcomes some of the shortcomings of pure co-ops; in terms of the difficulty needing to be jacked up so the players don't easily win all the time.

The game is hard, but in a puzzle way, it's something that when you lose, you're still learning - much like mage knight. Multiple plays, although similar, are never the exact same, so your strategy will never be sound, but you will develop the skill to be proficient enough to give yourself a good chance of winning, and that's what I appreciate most about the game's difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.