GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,184 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: So help me god... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
...if a president who was not Christian was being sworn in, would they omit this bit, or replace it with something else.

Do you think Trump is actually religious, or pretending? What about previous presidents?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
...if a president who was not Christian was being sworn in, would they omit this bit, or replace it with something else.

Do you think Trump is actually religious, or pretending? What about previous presidents?
I've seen no evidence that he actively practices religion and from his history it doesn't seem like he makes any attempt to follow Christian morals or ethics as I understand them. When he says it, it seems ceremonial to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:

When asked about the Bible Trump could not remember a single verse. So he may be religious and he may be Christian but he does not read the Bible and when asked he said he had nothing to repent about and and gave a strong impression that he felt he was without sin and did not need God's forgiveness.

As far as the oath. I have no clue. They might drop it if they elect an atheist. It's going to be a long time before they elect a Hindu or Muslim. It will be out of even longer before they elect am atheist. I'm not sure if an Orthodox Jewish person would have issues saying those words. No she would have to come in on an Orthodox Jewish person would have issues saying those words. Moshe would have to come in on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew T
msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

I'm surprised we haven't had an executive order doing so yet. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
TheChin! wrote:
col_w wrote:

I've seen no evidence that he actively practices religion and from his history it doesn't seem like he makes any attempt to follow Christian morals or ethics as I understand them. When he says it, it seems ceremonial to me.

He claims to be:

Quote:
"I think people are shocked when they find out that I am Christian, that I am a religious person," Trump writes in "Great Again," a book published during the presidential campaign. "They see me with all the surroundings of wealth, so they sometimes don't associate that with being religious. That's not accurate."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignoring for the moment the unlikelihood of it happening (being elected, taking that action) it's a racing certainty that before the new President had left the podium there would be an eruption of claims that he or she was not the legal President. The court case might take very slightly longer to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Piquet
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today on French version of the frontpage for Wikipedia I discovered this:

Quote:
Some presidents of the United States, such as John Quincy Adams, Theodore Roosevelt or Lyndon B. Johnson haven't sworn on the Bible.

I had already heard that in the US the oath was mandatory but the nature of the book was decided by the person but I though it was a theory and everybody had always sworn on the Bible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merkel´s predecessor as Chancellor, Gerhard Schröder, was the first and so far only German Chancellor to omit that part in his oath. The sky has yet to fall. Of course it´s a different game in the USA, but still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. "so help me God" is not part of the oath - see U.S.Const. Art. II, Section 1, paragraph 8. George Washington added that on his own and subsequent Presidents have followed his practice.
2. The Constitution specifically allows the President to affirm rather than swear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
1. "so help me God" is not part of the oath - see U.S.Const. Art. II, Section 1, paragraph 8. George Washington added that on his own and subsequent Presidents have followed his practice.
2. The Constitution specifically allows the President to affirm rather than swear.

And affirmation is for more than just atheists. Quakers for example do not swear oaths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
actuaryesquire wrote:

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
col_w wrote:

When asked about the Bible Trump could not remember a single verse.

It would have been ironically awesome if he quoted Mark 10:25.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
actuaryesquire wrote:
So, then 'moi' would have "sworn" OATH affirmly upon: "Thesaurus for DUMMIES" whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:

This country requires at least a pretense of faith to get elected. Trump's religious is Trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

col_w wrote:

Since the Teavangelicals of the Religious Far Right made themselves the go-to faction of the Republican Party for Trump -- offering him an ideological lifeboat of sorts to keep his political viability afloat -- Donald Trump is beholden to them and at times attempts to display an aura of religiosity because he's playing political chameleon and trying to blend in with that faction.

Unfortunately, however, the Teavangelicals of the Religious Far Right are dominated by both Dominionists and Christian Supremacists. I very much doubt that Donald Trump knows what they're genuinely about. In either case, they ingratiated themselves not only into his inner circle but the Dominionists now control his administration.

So, it would take a political divorce of sorts for him to untangle himself from their tentacles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrspank wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
col_w wrote:

When asked about the Bible Trump could not remember a single verse.

It would have been ironically awesome if he quoted Mark 10:25.

That would be rich!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.