Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
As I was planning on reading the rules to Six Day War: 1967 I found the solitaire rules by Bart Brodowski, I thought to myself, "He's right. This war is perfect for a solitaire game."

Then I thought about all the games in my collection that have solitaire systems like

The Barbarossa Campaign
Carrier
RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940
Crete 1941

to name a few. I know there are some other games (like the D-Day series) but then I thought what other wars, campaigns, or battles would be great for a solitaire experience that have not been covered by a game as yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Würzburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I would claim that any war where one side is heavily outnumbered and certain to be destroyed would make for a good solitaire game, given a good set of rules. Or any battle where one side does not have enough to do to justify a second player (Fredricksburg for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mukden Incident and subsequent war for Manchuria, 1931-1933.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lawrence
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
Hey! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
ElFluppe wrote:
I would claim that any war where one side is heavily outnumbered and certain to be destroyed would make for a good solitaire game, given a good set of rules. Or any battle where one side does not have enough to do to justify a second player (Fredricksburg for example).

Agreed, but it's not always so clear-cut as to why one side was "certain" to lose. In many cases (Fredericksburg, for example), the one-sided nature of the battle wasn't guaranteed by the circumstances. Burnside's choices, the inaction of the forces on the Federal left, etc., made that battle what it was, but those were pre-ordained in the same fashion as, say, the assault on the Alamo.

As another example, SPI's Agincourt is a fine solitaire game if you play it as a programmed reenactment (which it has rules for), but if you don't compel one side to behave in a fixed fashion, you suddenly have situations that aren't nearly as one-sided as they appeared to turn out historically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CraftyShafty wrote:
ElFluppe wrote:

Agreed, but it's not always so clear-cut as to why one side was "certain" to lose. In many cases (Fredericksburg, for example), the one-sided nature of the battle wasn't guaranteed by the circumstances. Burnside's choices, the inaction of the forces on the Federal left, etc., made that battle what it was, but those were pre-ordained in the same fashion as, say, the assault on the Alamo.

As another example, SPI's Agincourt is a fine solitaire game if you play it as a programmed reenactment (which it has rules for), but if you don't compel one side to behave in a fixed fashion, you suddenly have situations that aren't nearly as one-sided as they appeared to turn out historically.

I think a bigger problem is finding a topic that hasn't been covered by a wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Westie wrote:

I think a bigger problem is finding a topic that hasn't been covered by a wargame.

There are many topics not covered by solitaire games. More not covered by good solitaire games. And there is always room for a few different similar games (eg solitaire games on the same battle).

Also solitaire games can work, as mentioned above, for topics that do not work for non-solitaire games.

I think for a topic to be easy to do an ok solitaire game on, you want something with one side having no real decisions, or where they historically acted very predictable (or not at all). An army putting up a very rigid defense with no large counterattacks for instance, like in Red Beach One: Tarawa. Or some ww1 battle where the attackers are on a very strict timetable they refuse to alter no matter what the defenders do (not sure if there is a solitaire game like that?).

But perhaps it is more fun to manage to make a good solitaire game out of some topic that seems is very difficult to do, like Ambush! or Fields of Fire. So I think you can go outside of the most obvious easy topics as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting question that I, in my solitaire wonderings, have posed myself quite a few times.

So far, I have been tinkering with the following:

WWII Italian 'Human Torpedoes' (for as much as I hate the name since it is farthest from the truth). I have designed a game around it since it is a showcase example of one side acting and the other just 'reacting' (or not at all depending on the raids you consider). I still need to find the commitment to put it through some Alpha testing. Talking about perspiration vs. inspiration...

Operation Bollebank from the Yugoslavian civil war and UN intervention (Small Danish armored Task Force vs. Serb-Bosnian militia). In this case it is a classic situation of a small force vs. overwhelming foes (but the latter lacking a coherent strategy). The challenge here is to find the right mechanics that simulates the constraints posed by the rules of engagement on the Danish force (the player).

Entebbe Raid by the IDF Commandos. I think the Raid on St. Nazaire system could easily be adapted to this, but I have yet to collect information on it.

LRDG operations in North Africa (yes, there already is a game on the topic, but it does not do it justice at all...). The topic has two distinct 'solitaire' traits that a good game would need to capture: 1) charting the uncharted desert; 2) stealth and reconnaissance (non vis sed artes). Of course one would also eventually add the occasional fight. I think an adaptation of The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 system could work here, but I still need to study the topic more.

Anyhow I am all ears for other ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
As I was planning on reading the rules to Six Day War: 1967 I found the solitaire rules by Bart Brodowski, I thought to myself, "He's right. This war is perfect for a solitaire game."

Then I thought about all the games in my collection that have solitaire systems like

The Barbarossa Campaign
Carrier
RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940
Crete 1941

to name a few. I know there are some other games (like the D-Day series) but then I thought what other wars, campaigns, or battles would be great for a solitaire experience that have not been covered by a game as yet?

Solo > Solataire, unless you are playing a specifically solitaire game. Speaking of 1967 War, you should have a look of my playthrough using a hybrid of original and Bart's solo rules combined, which works out so much more fluid than the solitaire rules. I learnt the hard way.

The solitaire combat and movement rules take forever as correct me if im wrong but you have to roll on up to two tables for every individual Arab unit per hex. The game plays so much better as Israel v Arab than the original format. I'll,probably commit blasphemy here but I always find Joe Miranda's rules to be all over the place. Fantastically great designer though!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Hoepper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Westie wrote:
CraftyShafty wrote:
ElFluppe wrote:

Anybody familiar with the post-WWII African civil wars? I bet there are hundreds of conflicts not covered. Just think of Ethiopia (Ogadewar 1977/1978, civil war with Eritrea). Another example is the invasion of Uganda into Tansania. Additionally in Somalia many conflicts are/were fought with the participation of troops from Kenia. And I am by far from being an expert on this part of the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DG has already used the same system they did with Crete 1941 on Invasion Afghanistan: The Soviet-Afghan War, and have other games using that system planned for Operation ENDURING FREEDOM (Afghanistan), and special forces operations in Vietnam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
_viper_ wrote:
...Entebbe Raid by the IDF Commandos. I think the Raid on St. Nazaire system could easily be adapted to this, but I have yet to collect information on it.
There is a solo scenario for Entebbe in Raid!,
and L.O.S. rules unlike any other game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe mcgrath
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
As a solitaire war gamer, I love the premise of this thread.
- Raid on St Nazaire is on of my all-time favorite games, and I love the idea of using that system for an Entebbe Raid game. Othe commando raids that could be happily adapted to this system: Zeebrugge (WWI), Bruneval, And Vaagso/ other Norweigen WWII raids
- I also love Where There Is Discord, on the Falklands War, and think that system could be adapted to the Pedestal Convoy to Malta in August of '42
- I badly want a solo game on 'The Great Seige' of Malta by the Ottoman Turks in 1565 (I admit it - I have a Malta fetish).
- Lastly, I think the Russian attack on Grozny in 1999 would make a great solitaire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
navigator37 wrote:
As a solitaire war gamer, I love the premise of this thread.
- Raid on St Nazaire is on of my all-time favorite games, and I love the idea of using that system for an Entebbe Raid game. Othe commando raids that could be happily adapted to this system: Zeebrugge (WWI), Bruneval, And Vaagso/ other Norweigen WWII raids
- I also love Where There Is Discord, on the Falklands War, and think that system could be adapted to the Pedestal Convoy to Malta in August of '42
- I badly want a solo game on 'The Great Seige' of Malta by the Ottoman Turks in 1565 (I admit it - I have a Malta fetish).
- Lastly, I think the Russian attack on Grozny in 1999 would make a great solitaire game.

Not a solitaire game, but there's Into a Bear Trap: The Battle for Grozny, January 1995.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I don't know if there are any games about the WWII Battle of the Marianas also know as the Marianas Turkey Shoot but that would be a good solitary setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
A new game just out Islamic State: Libya War does a nice job modeling a conflict using a solo system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.