Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Scholtz
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy just the other day, looking forward to getting it to the table with my friends!

A question: I got the impression from reading the rules and looking at reviews that players tend not to have open negotiation. You plan what you're going to build, think to yourself what the other players might have in their hand or what they might do to frustrate or help you, and then open it up, but you don't have open negotiation with other players and make deals, like "ok, if you help me build this, I can help you build that" and freeze out other players or whatever. That seems counter to the "collaborative" side of the game.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, as with any game of this sort, it's up to the players what they want to do and how far they want to push table talk. But the game has no mechanism to track these outside negotiations, and to me, it's more interesting to play without the open negotiation (but I hate games like Cosmic Encounter, so take what I say with a grain of salt).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Scholtz
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game a couple of times now, and so far I've found that there's not much incentive to negotiate in the beginning because the players' positions and investments are open ended, but in both games I played (a 4 and a 5 player game) some teaming up started to happen with the last 1-2 structures. A couple of players would attempt to freeze out the others if the two of them could go it alone and it was mutually beneficial. (if you mathed it out, it was usually more beneficial for one player or the other, but we play by instinct for such a fast game)

I'd be curious how more open negotiation early on in the game would affect later rounds, people owing favours, etc.

A very subtle game, still figuring out how to play well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.