18 Posts

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Advice on teaching new people Myth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mogens Iversen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I am going to teach some new people Myth and try to let them understand why I love this game. I only have the base game at the moment and was planning to introduce them to the game by gradualy building up to the Lucy quest chain as the first quest is easy enough and descibed in several videos which they can see up front. Would rather not go the Stone of Life way at the moment as this requires either printing or bringing a tablet along to a board game session. Would like to hear any advice from the community here,

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: This is all off the top of my head, so YMMV.

First, explain the basis of the game and its point. "This is a cooperative game where we are working together to vanquish the forces of darkness. Our options are open, but we need to moderate what we do, because every so often the Darkness will get a chance to retaliate."

Then, talk about the hero board. Use of of the novice hero nameplates as an example to point out movement and vitality. For anything class-specific (faith, etc.) note it but say you'll come back to it later when you explain each class. Point out the item slots, action card slots, and the Vitality and Threat tracks -- now is a good time to mention that damage raises Threat, leaving empty card slots lowers Threat, and getting to 10 Threat (or sometimes even 8!) is bad, mmkay?

Next, explain the anatomy of a card. Talk about range and damage (if it's an attack), AP cost, action vs. reaction vs. interrupt, etc. When you point out AP is a good time to mention when a Darkness cycle happens, but you'll get to that later. Finally, talk about movement modes, and assure your new players that this is one of the stranger concepts of this system, and if they don't get it right away, that's OK, you'll help them out along the way.

Now's probably when you want to set up the first tile of whatever adventuring you're going to be doing. If you're following a story (which it doesn't sound like), explain that you're setting up the tile following what the Story says; if not, explain tile legends, quest cards, and have them involved in the decision as to how to populate the tile. Explain treasure drops and why having more enemies is not necessarily a bad thing.

Let the players loose on the first Hero Cycle, encouraging them to play with their cards visible to everyone and explain tactics and who should do what when. (Mention Loitering at this point.) When someone goes to play an Action, remind them that they can only play one of those per Hero Cycle, and point out what (if any) cards in their hands that will mean they can't play, and mention that they can only keep 1 card from one HC to the next, so is that really what they want to do. When you all decide the first HC is done, talk them through each step of the Hero Deck and Refresh Phases, even if they aren't relevant.

When you get to the first Darkness Cycle, talk them through it very slowly. Read the Threat Penalty, even if nobody is at 10, and if you're using the TW10kL deck, mention that there are two cards in that deck that lower the Threat Penalty threshold to 8 for that DC. Show them how you're deciding where the monsters move and how they break up to follow scouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you already look through the tutorial released in the latest patch? Not sure if it requires more than the base game, tho.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/megacongames/myth-journ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Myth easier to teach as you play. For new players I always start with a quick explanation of some of the "moving targets" of the game that impact your ability to act as a team and succeed. I always begin with a quick mention of Deck and Hand Management. I then explain the very basics of Threat, how you gain and lose it, as well as why it is important. Then I set up the board, place the initial monsters and have the players draw their first hand of cards. At this point I explain AP and the Darkness level. I find that a basic understanding of the above points in the game of Myth can really help new players along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristabelle Du Bast
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Did you already look through the tutorial released in the latest patch? Not sure if it requires more than the base game, tho.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/megacongames/myth-journ...

I have been learning using the Stone of Life module and started before the tutorial was published. It seems perfect as a first Module adventure. Just print it and the 3 cards and you are good to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Put it on your table and select a team and play for 5-6 tiles. It will help get it straight before you try to introduce a new player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Solo
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy the new Dark Frontier game on kick start er right now. And play that with them first. Gets them into the theme, and concept. Gets them used to the name of the heroes and minions. Its a good place to start!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mogens Iversen
Denmark
flag msg tools
pha3drus wrote:
Buy the new Dark Frontier game on kick start er right now. And play that with them first. Gets them into the theme, and concept. Gets them used to the name of the heroes and minions. Its a good place to start!

Nice try, but I'm already backing there and the game session is in two weeks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the most important concepts to teach the new player:

The open play style that allows them to play a card,... wait until later in the hero cycle to play more after others have played cards.

After that; the Action/Reaction/Interrupt explanation is key; along with what is a Full Move, Half Move, Aggressive Movement,... and how they affect your abilities to do or boost card abilities.

Then basic dice pool building, etc.

Most important is that you have a good grasp on monster movement and activation and how different types of monsters activate, etc. You can teach this as you go, but you have to have it down yourself very well prior to playing with the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is something of a contradiction in Myth. On the one hand, in order to make the most of "free form" adventuring, or so-called Adventure mode, you need to be experienced since you need to evaluate what threat you are giving yourself (something you usually rely on the scenario to do). On the other hand, there is no way to GET experience without playing, which means at first you are making decisions blindly and probably badly. That means your first games might be too hard or too easy.

That's why the proposed teacher sitting down with the game solitaire and playing through several tiles, trying varying layouts, different choices, 1 lair, 2 lairs, etc., is such a good idea. By the time you've done a bunch of tiles, you have the beginnings of an instinct on how to populate the tiles to give you the right level of challenge and that is a great thing when you're teaching a new player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mogens Iversen
Denmark
flag msg tools
carbon_dragon wrote:

That's why the proposed teacher sitting down with the game solitaire and playing through several tiles, trying varying layouts, different choices, 1 lair, 2 lairs, etc., is such a good idea. By the time you've done a bunch of tiles, you have the beginnings of an instinct on how to populate the tiles to give you the right level of challenge and that is a great thing when you're teaching a new player.

I might not have stated that clearly enough, but I have been through that process and was more looking for advice on the actual teaching. The advice is very much solid and much appreciated though (please note English is not my native language)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Explain movement, action/reaction/interrupt, and AP. Play the first several hero cycles with hands face up on table. Encourage discussion and thinking out loud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kalimaa wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

I might not have stated that clearly enough, but I have been through that process and was more looking for advice on the actual teaching. The advice is very much solid and much appreciated though (please note English is not my native language)

That's hard to explain. I think generally sitting there reading the rules is bad. I tend to try to explain the rules by the sequence of play and then walk the player through the game from the start. I then look through the manual looking for stuff I forgot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mogens Iversen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Just an update as the gaming session was yesterday. Only managed to play three tiles in more than 3 hours as a lot of discussion was going on with regard to strategy. Went with a party of all a's Archer, Acolyte and Apprentice. Homework for the group was to see the two playthroughs of rescue my daugther by MCG and the UrbanMyth channel (thanks for that btw).

First tile (4x6) just a grubber hunting pack of 8 in order to learn combat mechanics and hopefully get a treasure or two (yeah gold ), no sweat whatsoever

Second tile (12x12) with the Lucy quest and a hunting pack of 4. No sweat again as we were able to take out the lair before first activation.

Last tile (6x6) in order to encounter a trap and get a merchant in order to spend our gold. Got avatar of winter, a grubber lair and a crawler hunting pack of 4. Lair went down before it could activate and then it was a struggle with the avatar. Acolyte and Apprentice went close to dying and Archer did not get damaged much.

Btw how do you manage threat on an Apprentice? I was more or less tanking the entire tile, not the best job for a glass cannon. Next time we would probably try the Wagonscross mod or the Stone of life module for a bit more structure. The lack of structure was no problem though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The apprentice can't go all the time. He has to use fewer actions and let his threat abate. The soldier wants threat and is usually included in any party although you have to avoid 8+ threat with everyone since that has a good chance of a threat penalty.

"Adventure" mode or free form adventuring is Myth's forte so don't feel bad about not having structure. Really you provide that yourself. Though MCG is working on adventures due to player demand, it's not a natural part of the game. But by all means play what is fun for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sitting your Apprentice behind a Glacier's Grip is the first thing that comes to mind. Maybe kiting the monsters around a little bit while they're stuck in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah; you need a disciplined player to man the Apprentice. There are so many great cards that you can play, and it will tempt you to go "beast mode" which usually ends badly (threat penalty).

Because of how this hero is able to generate so much threat; I usually recommend adding the card that allows you to reduce your own threat level to your deck at the first opportunity to add a novice card (I believe this is "Diminish").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mogens Iversen
Denmark
flag msg tools
thanks for the advice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.