Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Post what you've watched in 2017 in this thread. And if you're feeling frisky, add me on Letterboxd to see what I watch and review.

So far, I've watched:
(2017) The Bye Bye Man
(2016) Kathleen Madigan - Bothering Jesus
(2015) The Good Dinosaur
(2015) April and the Extraordinary World
(2015) Demetri Martin Live (At the Time)
(2009) Coraline
(2007) 5 Centimeters Per Second
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Baskin
Prometheus
Sunshine
Deepwater Horizon
Ben-Hur (2016)
The Girl with all the Gifts
Death Race 2050
The Rezort
The Taking of Deborah Logan
Cell
The Canal
Hell or High Water
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
La La Land

Torn between 3 and 3.5 stars. Gave it the benefit of the doubt because I moved to LA last year and I'm becoming a total homer for it.

X-Men Apocalypse

This benefitted from low expectations. The reviews were so toxic, I expected it to be unwatchable. Instead, I found it on the right side of fair. The Quicksilver scene was amusing, but the strategy of "let's copy the best scene from the last movie, only with more CGI" is not the right way to go through life. They got away with it this time.

Florence Foster Jenkins

Probably the most British movie to take place in New York. Excellent performances all around. I was really impressed to find all of the scenes of Simon Helberg playing piano and Meryl Streep singing was done live. Both are that talented. (In Streep's case, talented at intentionally singing very poorly.)

Westworld (TV series)

The season finale is 90 minutes long, so I'm totally counting this. A worthy successor to Game of Thrones, right down to the gratuitous violence and nudity. Excellent performances all around. Just don't think about the plot too hard (there's no reason for that one host to have the maze tattooed on the underside of his scalp). Maeve's plotline is so mind-meltingly stupid (mostly when Felix and Sylvester are involved), but Thandie Newton is so good you just kind of go with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:

How was this? I thought the book was great and I'm not a fan of the zombie genre. The trailer looks very faithful to the source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
La La Land

Torn between 3 and 3.5 stars. Gave it the benefit of the doubt because I moved to LA last year and I'm becoming a total homer for it.

X-Men Apocalypse

This benefitted from low expectations. The reviews were so toxic, I expected it to be unwatchable. Instead, I found it on the right side of fair. The Quicksilver scene was amusing, but the strategy of "let's copy the best scene from the last movie, only with more CGI" is not the right way to go through life. They got away with it this time.

Florence Foster Jenkins

Probably the most British movie to take place in New York. Excellent performances all around. I was really impressed to find all of the scenes of Simon Helberg playing piano and Meryl Streep singing was done live. Both are that talented. (In Streep's case, talented at intentionally singing very poorly.)

Westworld (TV series)

The season finale is 90 minutes long, so I'm totally counting this. A worthy successor to Game of Thrones, right down to the gratuitous violence and nudity. Excellent performances all around. Just don't think about the plot too hard (there's no reason for that one host to have the maze tattooed on the underside of his scalp). Maeve's plotline is so mind-meltingly stupid (mostly when Felix and Sylvester are involved), but Thandie Newton is so good you just kind of go with it.

Why are your ratings out of 4 stars and not 5?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot one:

Hail, Caesar![\b]

Not their best written effort, but the performances are uniformly excellent. Also, the musical number "No Dames" is worth the price of admission alone.

agentkuo wrote:
erak wrote:
[b]La La Land

X-Men Apocalypse

Florence Foster Jenkins

Westworld (TV series)

4 is the standard. Look at Ebert, Leonard Martin, James Berardinelli, etc. In fact, I can't stand a five-star scale. It's like converting Celsius to Fahrenheit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Weird--I read and liked the book, and had no idea there was a movie.

Iron Man (2008) - just showed up on Amazon Prime. Still fun, though much less singular in tone these days.

Goliath (2016 Amazon series) - very good. A few subplots felt unnecessary, but it did a surprisingly good job of depicting a bunch of people with various damage without reducing them to their tragedies or suggesting they couldn't still do great things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
I forgot one:

Hail, Caesar![\b]

Not their best written effort, but the performances are uniformly excellent. Also, the musical number "No Dames" is worth the price of admission alone.

agentkuo wrote:
erak wrote:
[b]La La Land

X-Men Apocalypse

Florence Foster Jenkins

Westworld (TV series)

4 is the standard. Look at Ebert, Leonard Martin, James Berardinelli, etc. In fact, I can't stand a five-star scale. It's like converting Celsius to Fahrenheit.

Hmm, interesting...and snobby. I'll be sure to rate my movies on a 4 and a half star scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Films, TV or video?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hateful Eight (2015)
Die vierte Macht (2012) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1709122/
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (1979)
Phoenixsee (2016) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5002850/
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
Smiley's People (1982)

https://www.icheckmovies.com/profiles/dr+no/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
zombiegod wrote:

How was this? I thought the book was great and I'm not a fan of the zombie genre. The trailer looks very faithful to the source.

Very good. Aside from altering some of the races of the main characters, it is pretty faithful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Films, TV or video?

I was going for Movies/Films, but there's no reason you can't also talk about shows and videos you watched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
erak wrote:
I forgot one:

Hail, Caesar![\b]

agentkuo wrote:
erak wrote:
[b]La La Land

X-Men Apocalypse

Florence Foster Jenkins

Westworld (TV series)

Hmm, interesting...and snobby. I'll be sure to rate my movies on a 4 and a half star scale.

Snobby? I doth protest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
agentkuo wrote:
erak wrote:
I forgot one:

Hail, Caesar![\b]

agentkuo wrote:
erak wrote:
[b]La La Land

X-Men Apocalypse

Florence Foster Jenkins

Westworld (TV series)

Snobby? I doth protest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Netflix/TV - A Series of Unfortunate Events - Season 1

Pretty good/creepy adaptation of the books. Neil Patrick Harris is absolutely perfect as the villain. Some of the other actors have not been as great. I'd prefer less intrusion by the narrator - that's just my personal idea. The baby steals the show!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Films, TV or video?

I was going for Movies/Films, but there's no reason you can't also talk about shows and videos you watched.
That would be too many to list.

I saw rouge 1, it was OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished watching Ravenous (1999), and boy howdy was it amazing!

Here's my review if anyone's interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Netflix/TV - A Series of Unfortunate Events - Season 1

Pretty good/creepy adaptation of the books. Neil Patrick Harris is absolutely perfect as the villain. Some of the other actors have not been as great. I'd prefer less intrusion by the narrator - that's just my personal idea. The baby steals the show!

I'm really enjoying it. The Boudelaires are the only ones who I feel aren't quite great, but every other character delivers a fantastic performance. I especially love Gustav and Jacquelyn, and I have to say, despite adding new characters, they feel right at home in the story. I also like that the Boudelaire's parents are alive, blatantly, in the show. I think that's a nice touch. So far I've watched the first 3 episodes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmb
Just saw 10 Cloverfield Lane and loved it! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Denney
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am rewatching: The Outlaw Josey Wales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GaMed wrote:
I am rewatching: The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Great flick. I first saw it after watching Cold Mountain and thought "this is what Cold Mountain was trying to be".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sunkencheerio wrote:
Just saw 10 Cloverfield Lane and loved it! cool

I liked it a lot, but I felt it was a little too fast-paced in the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just watched Cloud Atlas

Ambitious as hell, and does a much better job than the book at connecting the stories. (I found the book's pyramid structure too clever by half, and one of the characters within agrees with me.)

You can tell the actors had fun playing so many different characters, often of different ages, races, and genders (Hugo Weaving is particularly amusing as a hulking sadistic nurse in one storyline and an evil carnival spirit in another). That said, a lot of the race-switching makeup s more distracting than convincing. Halle Berry's old Korean man looks like a pile of rubber, though that character gets about 10 seconds of screen time. The white actors in yellow face is more distracting than the Korean actors in whiteface. Halle Berry in whiteface, however, actually worked. Also, thank god Sonmi was actually played by a Korean, rather than their original choice of Natalie Portman.

I can see how people either loved or hated the movie. It worked for me. It couldn't possibly match their ambition, but the Waschowskis and Tykwer put a lot of care and love in the film and it translates to the screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Just watched Cloud Atlas

Ambitious as hell, and does a much better job than the book at connecting the stories. (I found the book's pyramid structure too clever by half, and one of the characters within agrees with me.)

You can tell the actors had fun playing so many different characters, often of different ages, races, and genders (Hugo Weaving is particularly amusing as a hulking sadistic nurse in one storyline and an evil carnival spirit in another). That said, a lot of the race-switching makeup s more distracting than convincing. Halle Berry's old Korean man looks like a pile of rubber, though that character gets about 10 seconds of screen time. The white actors in yellow face is more distracting than the Korean actors in whiteface. Halle Berry in whiteface, however, actually worked. Also, thank god Sonmi was actually played by a Korean, rather than their original choice of Natalie Portman.

I can see how people either loved or hated the movie. It worked for me. It couldn't possibly match their ambition, but the Waschowskis and Tykwer put a lot of care and love in the film and it translates to the screen.

FIFY cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
So far I've seen Rogue One, enjoyed it a lot, and i've been working my way through the Lethal Weapon movies on Hulu, currently halfway through number 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.