United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I don't have the game, but between Imperial Assault and Wizards of the Coast's old SW skirmish game, surely all the leaders in SWR are represented in 3D somewhere?

So who's been crazy enough (sure seems like it would be a pain, since vital stats are on the cardboard standees!) to attempt this??? Anyone???

[and before I even finish writing my post... I find this highly thumbed image! But has he tried it yet?!?!]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
If my memory serves me correct there was a thread here on BGG with someone who had replaced them all with the associated Lego minifigure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a miniatures player through and through, but I think this particular game would work better with the cardboard standees because of the info. I cannot fathom a good way to add that info to the miniatures without some compromise that make them much less useful than the cardboard. The bases are just too small... at least for my eyes. Again, I love minis and wish it was a no brainer to make the change but it is very convenient having those stats easily seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I saw somewhere (maybe on BGG? can't remember) where someone else was using those same Star Wars miniatures from Wizards of the Coast, but they had put some little colored gem stickers on the bases so that the same info from the cardboard standees was present. You could also use tiny circle stickers, or even paint colored circles on the bases.

The miniatures definitely look a lot nicer imho.

EDIT: Here we go:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil J.
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I also own, and love, Star Wars Miniatures and Star Wars Rebellion, I don't see a need to use figure replacements for Rebellion leader stands. I personally like the artwork on the stands, but more importantly without a reference of the leader's skill icons and tactics values on the board why add confusion by replacing stands with figures?

Edit: ninjaed. I will say using gems to represent the skill icons on the figures in the photo above is an intriguing idea. Perhaps one could do similar with tactics values?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow - I really like the figure/gem idea!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaius wrote:
I personally like the artwork on the stands, but more importantly without a reference of the leader's skill icons and tactics values on the board why add confusion by replacing stands with figures?

I'm inclined to agree - I think the game has enough practical and visual appeal with the current leaders, I don't feel the need to 'upgrade' them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Gaius wrote:
While I also own, and love, Star Wars Miniatures and Star Wars Rebellion, I don't see a need to use figure replacements for Rebellion leader stands. I personally like the artwork on the stands, but more importantly without a reference of the leader's skill icons and tactics values on the board why add confusion by replacing stands with figures?

Edit: ninjaed. I will say using gems to represent the skill icons on the figures in the photo above is an intriguing idea. Perhaps one could do similar with tactics values?

Agreed. It also makes them really stand out on the board, which is nice when retrieving.

The LEGO one was really cool though, as are these minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

ron42na wrote:
Wow - I really like the figure/gem idea!!

I agree with this. But also, for players who haven't yet earned their Star Wars Geek Badge, there are situations in the game where its necessary to be able to refer to the Leaders on the board by their name, which is where the standees help tremendously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
But also, for players who haven't yet earned their Star Wars Geek Badge, there are situations in the game where its necessary to be able to refer to the Leaders on the board by their name, which is where the standees help tremendously.

Um... what... what the hell??

If people sit down to play this or ANY game with me and don't know who the heck MON FREAKIN MOTHMA is they are gonna get a bottle smashed over their head!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:
But also, for players who haven't yet earned their Star Wars Geek Badge, there are situations in the game where its necessary to be able to refer to the Leaders on the board by their name, which is where the standees help tremendously.

If people sit down to play this or ANY game with me and don't know who the heck MON FREAKIN MOTHMA is they are gonna get a bottle smashed over their head!

LoL! I'll tell you what... when I'm able to tell the difference between Moff Jerjerrod and Admiral Ozzel by sight, then I'll send my Star Wars Geek Application to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
Mattr0polis wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

LoL! I'll tell you what... when I'm able to tell the difference between Moff Jerjerrod and Admiral Ozzel by sight, then I'll send my Star Wars Geek Application to you!

Ozzel had a mustache. He also came out of lightspeed too close to Hoth, believing surprise was wiser....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Linnemann
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was me!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1671303/pimping-rebellion-l...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.