GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,755 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Trump has already raised taxes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Basically, yeah.

Who regards this as sound policy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Because more expensive home markets would be more affected by the increase, the reversal certainly hits liberal America harder. Counties like Santa Clara, Alameda, and Santa Cruz, California, and Honolulu and Maui, Hawaii, would see the biggest increases, from $1,253 to $1,448 annually."
Well, the deplorables in the middle Class should expect to take a few casualties in this conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
While then Mnuchin "repossesses" theirs in order for them being "in the marked-up market" yet again NOW! It's "*G-O-L-D*", Jerry! Even for them's UNNEEDED more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
On the other hand, if you can afford to buy a house in:

Quote:
Because more expensive home markets would be more affected by the increase, the reversal certainly hits liberal America harder. Counties like Santa Clara, Alameda, and Santa Cruz, California, and Honolulu and Maui, Hawaii, would see the biggest increases, from $1,253 to $1,448 annually.

You can afford to shell out a few more bucks. I know Republicans were not happy with the cut. Trump's playing with his team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
He reversed an Obama action announced last week that hasn't gone into effect yet?

Off with his head.

Sounds a bit extreme, but OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
mbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
On the other hand, if you can afford to buy a house in:

Quote:
Because more expensive home markets would be more affected by the increase, the reversal certainly hits liberal America harder. Counties like Santa Clara, Alameda, and Santa Cruz, California, and Honolulu and Maui, Hawaii, would see the biggest increases, from $1,253 to $1,448 annually.

You can afford to shell out a few more bucks.

I've never understood this reasoning. It's obviously a bad inference, right? At least for something that's a very expensive luxury (yachts, say), you can both expect that you're in a fairly non-price conscious bracket, and you might not be too sympathetic if they couldn't get one. But even there, an increase in price will make SOME difference.

But part of the problem with areas that have high real estate prices is that people are usually stretching MORE to have a house, not less. Housing isn't a luxury, and if prices have been increasingly quickly for years, it can seem better to borrow to the limit of your ability in order to acquire an asset you expect to appreciate rather than paying very high rents which don't net you any equity. And those are the only options--you have to live somewhere, so you can't just stay out of the real estate market entirely the way you can with the yacht market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey hey! Trump supporters are now for higher taxes.

Me, I'd be like.. "what? I'm a homeowner. Why did you make it one of your top priorities to raise my taxes?" if I was still paying my house off.

It's amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Hey hey! Trump supporters are now for higher taxes.

Me, I'd be like.. "what? I'm a homeowner. Why did you make it one of your top priorities to raise my taxes?" if I was still paying my house off.

It's amazing.

Orrrrrrr, it could be conservatives think govt shouldn't be in the home loan business at all, but if they are they ought to turn a hefty profit.

Other than that, I know nothing of this topic. Please enlighten me how it is a tax? Is it a tax in the sense it is a fee and not a tax in the least?
It's insurance. For a $200,000 home, it would have been a $40 per month cut. Not an insignificant amount for new home owner. Nickels and dimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see much here.

The Federal government helps low-income people get mortgages by providing insurance. The rate they charge is subject to debate; lower rates make it easier for people to buy homes but increase the risk of default. There's only (IIRC) been one bailout of the program, during the financial crisis, but 1>0.

The Obama administration cut the rate last January, in response to improving solvency in the fun, and then again now. Given that it's been on schedule I don't see any reason to see this as a last-minute shenanigan, but at the same time I don't see anything surprising or concerning that Trump essentially said, "Put that change on hold; we'll review it ourselves and decide what should happen."

I don't know nearly enough about the program even to have an opinion about whether the rate change is a good idea or not, but I don't see anything problematic about what happened. And I think calling it a tax increase is a stretch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
And I think calling it a tax increase is a stretch.
Perhaps, but it's additional revenue going to the government.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Please enlighten me how it is a tax? Is it a tax in the sense it is a fee and not a tax in the least?

First, can you explain the difference you see between a tax on x and a fee for x? I confess, I've never been clear on the distinction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Please enlighten me how it is a tax? Is it a tax in the sense it is a fee and not a tax in the least?

First, can you explain the difference you see between a tax on x and a fee for x? I confess, I've never been clear on the distinction.
It's so you can fake out the Supreme Court. ACA conversation on its way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrooman wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

Even if we were talking about a literal tax, if the outgoing administration issues a cut and the incoming one puts it on hold before it even ones into effect, I wouldn't say that the new President raised taxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Vrooman wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

Even if we were talking about a literal tax, if the outgoing administration issues a cut and the incoming one puts it on hold before it even ones into effect, I wouldn't say that the new President raised taxes.

That's fair. Would you say he basically raised taxes, or effectively raised taxes, or don't you think those qualifiers go far enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.