Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has come up in a few threads so I figured I'd post it as it's own thread.

Here are the instructions on how to replace the permanent stickers with removable stickers so you can reset the game.

1) Print out the Sticker Sheet PDFs Josh provided in the Files section onto 8.5x11 removable label paper (http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/580826/Avery-White-Rem...) using a color printer (laser is obviously better than inkjet - I have the Dell C1760nw available for about $100 online)
2) For each page of stickers that you printed, cut out and peel each of the labels from their backing paper and stick them on to a regular sheet of paper - these serve as transfer sheets
3) When playing the game, when you need to place a sticker on the map or a card, peel it from the transfer sheet and stick it where it needs to go.
4) When resetting the game, peel off all the stickers from the map and cards

You can skip steps 2-3 and just leave the stickers uncut, you just need to cut them while playing the game. That's no big deal I guess but since we are all waiting anyway, might as well prepare it now and not slow down the game.

The stickers are kind of small, so to cut them, I recommend either a set of small precise craft scissors or an exacto blade.

Also, you can use permanent label paper instead of the removable label paper to make the stickers but then you have to print the map and sleeve cards so you don't permanently label the game's original materials.

Edit: The printer is the Dell C1760nw not the C1760cw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webster
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
Totally NOT a Cylon!
badge
Keep watching... he eventually makes it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this.

I'm curious how well in practice this works though. Will the card stickers stay on through repeated shuffling? Will they still come off clean after staying on for a long duration?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My ex-wife used these extensively around the house. They would stay on for years and come off cleanly. The only time they ever left a residue is if you stick them on a very smooth surface like glass. In that case a bit of Goo Gone on a paper towel would do the trick. When placed on card stock, poster paper, hanging folders and regular paper it would stick forever and come off without leaving anything behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Fiji
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, for cards, stick it on the card itself and then sleeve them. That way they don't get caught when you shuffle. (For when you need to remove a random card from your hand.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rawlinsusmc wrote:
Also, for cards, stick it on the card itself and then sleeve them. That way they don't get caught when you shuffle. (For when you need to remove a random card from your hand.)

That may not even be necessary. The labels are pretty thin and very small for the cards. I don't see them getting caught when shuffling. But we'll know for sure once the game arrives. I suppose I could stick one on a card for one of my other games and see how it behaves when shuffling. Although I haven't printed out the card enhancement stickers yet. And I plan on cutting those out during game play as opposed to pre-cutting them and using a transfer sheet. They just aren't going to be purchased that often I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rawlinsusmc wrote:

I'm not sure, but I think I saw it mentioned somewhere else that the only cards in Gloomhaven that get stickers do not get shuffled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
rawlinsusmc wrote:

I'm not sure, but I think I saw it mentioned somewhere else that the only cards in Gloomhaven that get stickers do not get shuffled.

Yaw, your character's ability cards get stickers through enhancements, and those cards aren't shuffled except during a short rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aflorin wrote:

Here are the instructions on how to replace the permanent stickers with removable stickers so you can reset the game.

1) Print out the Sticker Sheet PDFs Josh provided in the Files section onto 8.5x11 removable label paper (http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/580826/Avery-White-Rem...) using a color printer (laser is obviously better than inkjet - I have the Dell C1760nw available for about $100 online)
2) For each page of stickers that you printed, cut out and peel each of the labels from their backing paper and stick them on to a regular sheet of paper - these serve as transfer sheets
3) When playing the game, when you need to place a sticker on the map or a card, peel it from the transfer sheet and stick it where it needs to go.

You can skip steps 2-3 and just leave the stickers uncut but then you have to cut them while playing the game. That's no big deal I guess but since we are all waiting anyway, might as well prepare it now and not slow down the game.

Also, you can use permanent label paper instead of the removable label paper to make the stickers but then you have to print the map and sleeve cards so you don't permanently label the game's original materials.

And experience with this type? Seems to be a much better deal and so can't find a difference between the 2 items really except that you get 25 instead of 10 for a few bucks more.

http://www.officedepot.com/mb/a/products/365572/Avery-White-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambit001 wrote:
aflorin wrote:

You can skip steps 2-3 and just leave the stickers uncut but then you have to cut them while playing the game. That's no big deal I guess but since we are all waiting anyway, might as well prepare it now and not slow down the game.

And experience with this type? Seems to be a much better deal and so can't find a difference between the 2 items really except that you get 25 instead of 10 for a few bucks more.

I'm sure they are the same. Same company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aflorin wrote:
Gambit001 wrote:
aflorin wrote:

I'm sure they are the same. Same company.

Yeah just tried em, printed, cut using a silhouette machine, so I don't have to hand cut, and they seem really good. Stick well, come off when I want them to but don't come off by sliding my hand across it over and over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambit001 wrote:

Yeah just tried em, printed, cut using a silhouette machine, so I don't have to hand cut, and they seem really good. Stick well, come off when I want them to but don't come off by sliding my hand across it over and over.

First I heard of a Silhouette - just saw a video of it. That is pretty cool! Pricey though. I just went with a small detail scissors from Michaels. Or an Exacto knife would work also but I prefer the scissors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aflorin wrote:
Gambit001 wrote:

First I heard of a Silhouette - just saw a video of it. That is pretty cool! Pricey though. I just went with a small detail scissors from Michaels. Or an Exacto knife would work also but I prefer the scissors.

Well my SO is a crafter and runs her own small business etching on glass and the silhouette helps her create the designs and cut the stencils needed to add the etching to the glass, so we already happened to have one lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambit001 wrote:
aflorin wrote:
Gambit001 wrote:

Well my SO is a crafter and runs her own small business etching on glass and the silhouette helps her create the designs and cut the stencils needed to add the etching to the glass, so we already happened to have one lol.

Nice. Mine worked at a NASA campus until recently but she wasn't exactly in astronaut training. Only thing I ever got was some pens with space logos on them - not even the zero-G pens either. Which I suppose would have only ever come in handy falling off a building - you know, for that last message. Gotta be quick though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you take the board and make a copy at your local printer? Or buy an extra board ? If so u can print a set of stickers out and your good to go

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
noahshu wrote:
Can you take the board and make a copy at your local printer? Or buy an extra board ? If so u can print a set of stickers out and your good to go

A copy of the map is already in the files section for just that purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey OP! How is this working out for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormbringerGT wrote:
Hey OP! How is this working out for you?

Extremely well.

The trickiest part was separating the backing paper from the label after cutting it out but the point of an Exacto knife did the trick.

I cut the achievement stickers as we need them as they are easy since they are mostly straight edges. No one has purchased enhancements yet but I don't foresee any problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was a great idea, and the removable ID labels are a great discovery. Thanks!

Then we started playing, realized we also needed a sheet to check whether we had completed scenarios and found treasures, printed one of those from the file section, and then realized that having the sheet almost completely obsoletes the map!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Frazer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The Silhouette cutter looks neat. I'd probably buy one if I wasn't anxiously awaiting delivery of a GlowForge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very interested to see how these stick to shuffled cards. I can see some cool applications with this, assuming they don't fly off during shuffling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I thought this was a great idea, and the removable ID labels are a great discovery. Thanks!

Then we started playing, realized we also needed a sheet to check whether we had completed scenarios and found treasures, printed one of those from the file section, and then realized that having the sheet almost completely obsoletes the map!

If you are using multiple parties that don't share a campaign, then yes, you won't need them. You can just use the sheet. Alternately, you can print out second copy of the map and attach it to some poster board and use 2 sets of stickers, on for each map. You will still need to track everything else in a sheet though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.