GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,302 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on Shortcut card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean K
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
What happens to enemies engaged with the investigator who is targeted by the shortcut card? Do they follow the investigator to the new location? Or do they stay behind (automatically engaging with any investigator still there)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon George
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't say they disengage, so any enemies in their threat area should stay in their threat area.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
For comparison, look at the Cat Burglar card, which does explicitly tell you to disengage.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed that, but that makes sense. At least there's no AoO.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogganbuck
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
raddoc wrote:
What happens to enemies engaged with the investigator who is targeted by the shortcut card? Do they follow the investigator to the new location? Or do they stay behind (automatically engaging with any investigator still there)?


Spoiler (click to reveal)
Can Shortcut get around the effect of Arcane Barrier, which makes you discard 5 cards to move in or out of the location?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Finklestein wrote:
raddoc wrote:
What happens to enemies engaged with the investigator who is targeted by the shortcut card? Do they follow the investigator to the new location? Or do they stay behind (automatically engaging with any investigator still there)?


Spoiler (click to reveal)
Can Shortcut get around the effect of Arcane Barrier, which makes you discard 5 cards to move in or out of the location?


I'd say no, since that card references moving into/out of the area and not the Move action.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katharine
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can you clarify the difference between a Move action and Shortcut for the purposes of Arcane Barrier. Basically, why wouldn't it work?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
My general understanding up until a dew days ago is that a 'move' / movement is an effect on the board, where you take an investigator from one location and place them on another. If any card speaks of 'move' ('when you move into', 'as an additional cost to move out of', 'cannot move', etc.) it is talking about 'movement'.

A move action is just a thing that players can choose to do at the cost of one action which causes movement.

So, since the card just mentions 'when you move' it includes not just movement from your move action, but any movement.


That said! I think there's some ongoing talk with the designers regarding how Arcane Barrier's additional cost should be applied. There was/is discussion on some Discord channel concerning Duke's engage ability and the additional cost for engaging the Rougarou. The eventual final verdict there (it was given one way, then reversed I believe) is that Duke's ability does *not* have to pay the additional cost to engage the Rougarou because Duke's ability is not considered an engage action (it doesn't contain the action designator engage). This possibly suggests (whatever that's worth!) that an 'additional cost' is intended for effects stemming specifically from actions (be they 'normal' actions or abilities with action designators), and not effects caused by more general abilities.

Was anyone there for this discussion and wouldn't mind clarifying to see if I've understood it (and its implications) correctly?

Which is all to say, I'm a bit confused about additional costs at the moment.

An FAQ is hopefully going to clear this up but it's uncertain when the FAQ will drop.


(edit: I'd written 'taunt' instead of engage when discussing Duke's ability. Fixed.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh, Duke doesn't have an ability that let's him engage, as far as I know.

Anyway, FFG has a standing policy that designers not comment on forums, so I'd be surprised if anything there was considered official. I think your initial impressions are correct.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Noaloha wrote:
My general understanding up until a dew days ago is that a 'move' / movement is an effect on the board, where you take an investigator from one location and place them on another. If any card speaks of 'move' ('when you move into', 'as an additional cost to move out of', 'cannot move', etc.) it is talking about 'movement'.

A move action is just a thing that players can choose to do at the cost of one action which causes movement.

So, since the card just mentions 'when you move' it includes not just movement from your move action, but any movement.


That said! I think there's some ongoing talk with the designers regarding how Arcane Barrier's additional cost should be applied. There was/is discussion on some Discord channel concerning Duke's engage ability and the additional cost for engaging the Rougarou. The eventual final verdict there (it was given one way, then reversed I believe) is that Duke's ability does *not* have to pay the additional cost to engage the Rougarou because Duke's ability is not considered an engage action (it doesn't contain the action designator engage). This possibly suggests (whatever that's worth!) that an 'additional cost' is intended for effects stemming specifically from actions (be they 'normal' actions or abilities with action designators), and not effects caused by more general abilities.

Was anyone there for this discussion and wouldn't mind clarifying to see if I've understood it (and its implications) correctly?

Which is all to say, I'm a bit confused about additional costs at the moment.

An FAQ is hopefully going to clear this up but it's uncertain when the FAQ will drop.


(edit: I'd written 'taunt' instead of engage when discussing Duke's ability. Fixed.)


Your understanding of move is correct. Anything that moves you, uhhh, moves you. So things based on you moving trigger.

I honestly have no clue what you're talking to about Duke though. He has a fight and an investigate. I assume you're referring to the fight, which requires someone to be engaged with the Aloof enemy in order to fight it. Duke's investigate ability triggers Attacks of Opportunities, not because of the move associated with it, but because the action in an Investigate - which makes you take AoOs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Crap, forgive me. I typed all that oit much too fast and completely mixed two things together.

The matter regarded a player using Taunt against the Rougarou. And the designer ruling was that, because Taunt does not have an engage designator, the additional cost doesn't apply.

I had Duke in my head because I recall someone citing the Taunt thing as reason to be unsure about whether Duke's movement has to pay Arcane Barrier's additional cost.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, no definitive answer yet but it sounds like the FAQ is coming sooner rather than later.

Quote:
I’m going to hold off on answering this question for the time being, as we are currently examining “additional costs” and hope to resolve this issue (and issues like it) in an upcoming FAQ. Sorry for the delay, but keep an eye out for it!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Thanks for the heads up. Definitely looking forward to the FAQ.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.