Subject: Noob Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael R

Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read the rulebook and I have some basic questions.

On page 9, for Exploration, the rules say that the hex "can be placed only to the spot that you explored". But then right after it says that the hex "must be oriented so that at least one of the Wormholes on the hex connects wit one of the wormholes on one of the hexes where you have a disc or ship".

The second part makes it sound as though you can place the hex in any eligible spot, but the first part says you must place where you explore.

The example it gives even shows two different places the hex could go.

So do I have to indicate which spot I'm exploring before drawing the tile? Or can I just figure out where I want to put it?

For Influence, the rules say "the hex influenced has to have a Wormhole connection to the he. Where you have a disc or Ship".

What if you are influencing a hex with just a ship that is not connected another hex with a disc or ship? Can you still place a disc on on that hex?

Does the "pinned" rule apply to ALL ships in the GCDS hex? I.e. can no ships fly through the center hex while it's there?
The rules say it "engages all the ships in the central hex".

I believe the example on page 17 shows a player taking the influence action to first move an influence disk from one hex to another that is adjacent to one with one his existing discs, and then removing that existing disc, leaving the newly placed disc unconnected to any of his other hexes. Is that right? Moreover, is that legal?

If player has a ship in a hex (no discs present), and then players B and C mov ships into that hex, followed by player A to bring enforcements, what order would the combat be in? Would player A be first or last, since he had a ship there originally but also brought one in at the end?

Can you retreat with just some of your ships? Or do you have to retreat with all of them?

"At the end of the Combat Phase...your ship is in a hex without an influence disc, you may place a disc there." Silly question: is this referring specifically to ships that were in combat? What if I have another ship that was not in combat in a hex with no influence disc?

In the FAQ: Using the influence action, I can move an influence disc from a hex to its neighbor through a wormhole connection. May I move the disc that created this connection in the first place?
A: No. if you move the disc, there is no longer a connection.

Can someone please break that down for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McBamf wrote:
So do I have to indicate which spot I'm exploring before drawing the tile? Or can I just figure out where I want to put it?
You have to indicate which spot you're exploring before drawing the tile. However, if you have discs or ships in more than one hex that is adjacent to the spot, a wormhole only has to line up to one of them.

McBamf wrote:
Does the "pinned" rule apply to ALL ships in the GCDS hex? I.e. can no ships fly through the center hex while it's there?
The rules say it "engages all the ships in the central hex".
Yes, that's what "engages all the ships" means.

McBamf wrote:
I believe the example on page 17 shows a player taking the influence action to first move an influence disk from one hex to another that is adjacent to one with one his existing discs, and then removing that existing disc, leaving the newly placed disc unconnected to any of his other hexes. Is that right? Moreover, is that legal?
Yes. Each half of the Influence action is taken independently, so as long as the board is in a legal state to take your second disc manipulation, it's legal.

McBamf wrote:
If player has a ship in a hex (no discs present), and then players B and C mov ships into that hex, followed by player A to bring enforcements, what order would the combat be in? Would player A be first or last, since he had a ship there originally but also brought one in at the end?
The order is the order in which players established "residence" in the hex. So B and C would fight first (with the defender being whichever one of them moved ships in first), then the winner would fight A (who would be the defender in that fight).

McBamf wrote:
Can you retreat with just some of your ships? Or do you have to retreat with all of them?
You must retreat with all your ships of a single type. So your Interceptors can leave while your Cruisers stay, but you can't have (for example) an injured Cruiser leave while another Cruiser stay.

McBamf wrote:
"At the end of the Combat Phase...your ship is in a hex without an influence disc, you may place a disc there." Silly question: is this referring specifically to ships that were in combat? What if I have another ship that was not in combat in a hex with no influence disc?
That qualifies. You're reading too much into the rules here: the rules simply state that the ship must be there at the end of the combat phase, they don't say that the ship had to have been in combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McBamf wrote:
For Influence, the rules say "the hex influenced has to have a Wormhole connection to the he. Where you have a disc or Ship".

What if you are influencing a hex with just a ship that is not connected another hex with a disc or ship? Can you still place a disc on on that hex?

Yes, you can. Nowhere it says that your hexes have to be connected in any way all the time. You can send a single ship to another edge of the galaxy and influence many hexes there.
Quote:
In the FAQ: Using the influence action, I can move an influence disc from a hex to its neighbor through a wormhole connection. May I move the disc that created this connection in the first place?
A: No. if you move the disc, there is no longer a connection.

Can someone please break that down for me?

E.g. you have a disc on hex A (no ships there) which is adjacent to a hex B. Your only way to influence B with INF action is through wormhole between A and B. Also you want B more than A. So somebodys idea was to just move a disc from A to B.
FAQ says it's illegal, because you first take a disc from A, which immediately prevents you from influencing B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your answers. This helped a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.