Hide
4 Posts

Flamme Rouge» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Belgian Spring Classic - A Pave Race report with pics! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Twort
msg tools
So we set out to play a Belgian "Spring Classic" style race - a Cobbled and hilly route to test even the hardiest of riders.

We used my Pave designed sections and the rules Pave Sections Clicky

3 players, Green,Red and Blue. I used some of my Pave sections to make the following layout:

a,n,S,r,cc,BB,aa,X,P,F,k,d,L,H,j,c,Z,w,R,G,U

The race started with a bang as Green decided to make an early break. The first Climb of the day up the Cobbled hill was a few km's down the road, so the plan was to mount an early attack.

Caught off guard, Red and Blue responded and closed up the gap - all the riders were aware it was going to be a gruelling race.

At the cobbled climb, the single lane allowed the pack to hang on to the coat-tails of the Green riders. The fresh legs soon being drained by the unforgiving Pave and the steep gradient. Riders were already getting exhausted.

Again the Greens decided to hit hard,the sprinter racing off the front of the pack, his Rouleur blocking the chasing pack on the tight Cobbled single lane section. Reds were struggling and the Blue's dug deep to try and stay in contention - the Blue Sprinter sitting at the back conserving energy. It was too much too early for the the Red Sprinter, who was tiring and getting dropped.

As they next climb approached, the Blues worked well together, reeling in the Greens who were starting to suffer.

The Hill gave The red team a chance and amazingly, with a big push and well timed sprint, they rejoined the back of the bunch!

A swift controlled descent from the Green team gave the Rouleur a chance to build a gap, but the Blues were keeping them in their sights. Despite the valiant effort from the Red team, the push had taken it's toll and both the riders were tiring fast.

The final 2 bends were Pave and then into the Sharp mountain climb finish - getting control of the bunch and holding the line would be the key.

The Blues hit hard, sprinting through the cobbles and with a perfectly timed push, positioned both riders at the base of the climb. Taking the 2 lanes blocked the way for the Greens, who didn't have quite enough in the tank to jump into the lead, having to settle for the slipstream.

All Green could hope for was that the Blues had given too much, but on the last Sprint for the line, The Blue Duo managed to hit the level 5 effort to get them over the summit and the line. They had taken the first win of the Spring Classic season!

Worked great, Intense and Tiring racing!

We finished the game with 3 exhaustion cards left - so didn't run out. We would have run out with 4 players, but we simply recycled the Exhaustion cards as we played them into 2 separate discard piles, which we could have drawn from in the event of none left if the draw pile.

Karl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Søren Andersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great report, Karl!
My condolences to the red Sprinteur who must have been suffering quite a bit all alone in the back there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Twort
msg tools
SchackTAG wrote:
Great report, Karl!
My condolences to the red Sprinteur who must have been suffering quite a bit all alone in the back there

He was really Struggling! Could never get back on the pack and blew all his energy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Batista
United Kingdom
Brighton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Amazing race there. Really keen on getting this game. Your reporting was excellent. Are you a fellow cyclist by any chance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.