Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua C
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I grabbed an older (90s) handmade board from a thrift store recently for 10 bucks. It's in good condition, except that the finish is really rough and the pegs are wooden.

Is there something I can do to put a proper finish on the board? Waxing perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
It depends what it looks like and how rough it is. Adding more varnish and resurfacing it is probably the best way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua C
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to post pictures tonight. It doesn't look bad honestly, but the texture doesn't seem right. It's kind of "tacky", so the discs don't slide very smoothly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clembo2021 wrote:
I grabbed an older (90s) handmade board from a thrift store recently for 10 bucks. It's in good condition, except that the finish is really rough and the pegs are wooden.

Is there something I can do to put a proper finish on the board? Waxing perhaps?

Aren't most pegs wooden these days? I got mine a while back, which has latex tubing pegs, but thought that was passé.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Aren't most pegs wooden these days? I got mine a while back, which has latex tubing pegs, but thought that was passé.

The pegs are wooden, but on most boards I've seen they have rubber or plastic sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua C
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure. I'm pretty new to the whole Crokinole thing. These pegs seem to REALLY deaden the discs though when it hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huff
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a restoration expert, but I personally would get a very high grit sandpaper (1000 grit or higher) and sand the playing surface by hand. Wipe it off and seal it with something like polyurethane. Maybe two or three coats, and sand between each one. After that, polish it with carnauba car wax to really slicken it up. As far as the pegs, just look for some plastic tubing that can go over them. That should make them bounce more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Selle
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
clembo2021 wrote:

On the boards used for tournament play the pegs are made of metal and covered with rubber tubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.crokinole.com/

http://www.crokinolegame.ca/crokinole_accessories.htm

Both of these guys will take care of you. Both sites have supplies, instructions, everything you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
clembo2021 wrote:
I'm not sure. I'm pretty new to the whole Crokinole thing. These pegs seem to REALLY deaden the discs though when it hits.

There are all sort of different peg types. Mine are solid brass with nothing on them. Bare wood pegs would be the most traditional and are still pretty common, but they have to be oak, maple, or some other sort of hard wood to work right. Since this is a homemade board it could have pine or some other soft wood for the pegs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.