Subject: Evasion, Fight, Readiness rules clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Porkins Womble
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
Hi all.

I have an enemy on my location, and it's engaged with me. (Not in a sexy way.) It is not a Hunter.

For my first Action, I attempt Evade, and my roll is successful.

According the rules (pp. 11):

Quote:
Any time an enemy is evaded ... the enemy is exhausted ... and the engagement is broken. Move the enemy from the investigator's threat area to the investigator's location ...

and, at page 12:

Quote:
An investigator may fight any enemy at his/her location, including: an enemy he or she is engaged with, an unengaged enemy at the location, or an enemy engaged with another investigator who is at the same location

From this, it appears that my enemy is now both exhausted, and disengaged from me.

Question: what is its "Readiness" status? I presume it is "Unready". Is this correct?

From my reading of the rules, it appears that I can take a Fight Action against the same enemy. And that it will not become engaged with me until it is "Readied".

Which means I can then attack it again. And, if not destroyed, the enemy will remain exhausted and unengaged, and will not act during the Enemy Phase.

Question: is this interpretation correct? Or have I missed something?

(To me, this seems odd: it implies I can Evade on my first action, and if successful, I can then fight the enemy on subsequent actions, and not be in danger of reprisal after my investigator's turn has finished.)

Which brings me to retaliation. According to the rules (pp. 18), the Retaliate keyword only applies to "ready" enemies. Thus, if I attack an unengaged, exhausted enemy (with the Retaliate keyword), no retaliation occurs.

Question: is this correct?

Thanks, and cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcio Ferreira
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
from my point of view you are correct in your assumptions.

Actually I hadn't thought about strategy of evading an enemy to make him exaust and thus preventing him from attacking during the enemy phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A card is either Ready or Exhausted. There is no Unready status.

Other than that, you got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Michels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you have everything right to me. Evading can be a key to dealing with some of the nastier enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be helpful to think of Evade as the only time the Enemy ever misses, since their Attacks automatically do damage. It's still fighting you, and will Engage with you (or someone) again soon, it just didn't hit you this round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Porkins Womble
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks all! I shall continue to dodge and weave, and then strike! It's not cowardice, it's tactics!

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I've learned something! I didn't know that you can attack an enemy that is not engaged. That only counts for aloof enemies. My evade-heavy investigators should have more success in defeating monsters now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's important to pay attention to abilities and effects regarding engagement. Yesterday, I had a weaker fighter engage a certain monster because it had a bonus when engaged against an investigator with low sanity, which my stronger fighter had. The Machete only adds damage if the enemy is engaged with you and is the only one (you get the +1 skill regardless though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soulblight
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heilz wrote:
Oh, I've learned something! I didn't know that you can attack an enemy that is not engaged. That only counts for aloof enemies.

And remember that you don't have to be engaged with an aloof enemy to attack it. The aloof enemy just needs to be engaged with an investigator at your location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.