GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,409 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Jordan Garcia
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
My gf who is my primary gaming partner has been wanting a farm game. I know about Agricola and Caverna, yet I'm not sure we have the table space for them, and I know the set and clean up times for both can be lengthy.

All Creatures Big and Small has caught my attention as something to fill that niche, but it's pretty much unavailable anywhere right now.

So today I read more about the family version. I read that it's a more streamlined edition. Keep in mind, we've never played any of these Rosenberg games, and I was thinking the family version would be a good game to fill that farming desire without being too overwhelming or as demanding as the others.

So, would this version be a good place to start?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't really comment on the different ones you've mentioned but another option with similar weight might be At the Gates of Loyang which is from the same designer. I play this with my mum so know it plays well with two players and doesn't take up much space on the table and set up is pretty quick and simple.

Edit, you can pick up these games second hand from the listings on the BGG market place if you look for a seller in the same country, some people even sell them new or nearly new so worth a look
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say definitely give Agricola a try. I've played quite a few games of the family variant.
Agricola isn't NEARLY as table-consuming as Caverna, and even less with only two players.
Another cool looking farm-themed game is Fields of Green. Though I'm not sure it's been released yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 each for Loyang and Agricola. The setup time for both is less than 5 minutes, once you're used to doing it. Agricola feels very similar to, but is more versatile than, ACB&S and we have felt that there is more replayability with Agricola than with ACB&S (although ACB&S is good for a less-than-30-minutes "Agricola fix" if you don't have enough time for a full game of Agricola).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
I really wanted to try Agricola: Family Edition, but the way the special buildings came out the same time bothered me. I knew it would be too similar (like ACBAS without expansion). So we jumped right to Agricola (Revised Edition) and can't be happier. With that said, if you haven't played a lot of these types of games it could be a bit much for you guys.

Family edition would certainly let you know if you liked this type of game. And of course you could sell it and get the Revised Edition later if you liked.

Loyang is a much heavier game than Agricola Family Edition (and I feel heavier than Agricola Revised Edition too).

There's quite a few farming games to look at if you do an advanced search and choose the farming category. Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
I really wanted to try Agricola: Family Edition, but the way the special buildings came out the same time bothered me. I knew it would be too similar (like ACBAS without expansion). So we jumped right to Agricola (Revised Edition) and can't be happier. With that said, if you haven't played a lot of these types of games it could be a bit much for you guys.

Family edition would certainly let you know if you liked this type of game. And of course you could sell it and get the Revised Edition later if you liked.

Loyang is a much heavier game than Agricola Family Edition (and I feel heavier than Agricola Revised Edition too).

There's quite a few farming games to look at if you do an advanced search and choose the farming category. Have fun!

Yes, I suppose it completely depends on what makes a game overwhelming for you. I avoided caverna because there were too many options without direction for my very AP prone mum and she gets totally overwhelmed by sprawling games with icons as she finds this difficult so kind of ruled out agricola so I went for gates of loyang as it was easy for her to learn how to play as everything is what it is and no real icons and options are limited (at least at first). On the other hand, it can be somwhat of a brain buster in the later part of the game trying to think what order to do your farming/ selling in etc to get the most in return - in fact I took longer than my AP mum who seems to have no problem at all and for once, she was sat waiting for me lol!!

A very simple farming game we like when we're in laidback mode and only have half an hour is Carcassonne: Over Hill and Dale but not sure if this is what you're looking for exactly.

Another farming(ish) game we both which is a lot simpler and very smooth but still thinky and a little more interactive than most is Seeland - you can play mean or not mean and it's very easy to learn and set up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, Agricola and Gates of Loyang.

All Creatures Big and Small is by far our most played - 25 recorded plays, and probably at least that again not recorded.

It's just so, so much quicker to set up and play. So we actually get round to playing it. Plus, with the expansions, we've found replayability to be excellent. I'd recommend you pick it up now if you can (it's under €25 in European stores, and international shipping can be quite reasonable if you shop around). Or just wait for the reprint.

Also note that the standard Agricola game comes with rules to play a simpler "family" version, if you want to. I'm not really sure what you get that's different in the new "family" version.

Another thing to consider: Gates of Loyang is *best* with 2 players. Agricola is better with more players.

Edits: Spelling and clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, bear in mind theme.

Agricola is purely about farming - animals and vegetables.

Gates of Loyang focuses on vegetables only, and includes markets for selling vegetables.

All Creatures Big and Small focuses on farming animals. No wheat or carrots here!

I've avoided Caverna, simply because I'm not interested in building caves or levelling up my dwarf abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davymast wrote:

Another thing to consider: Gates of Loyang is *best* with 2 players. Agricola is better with more players.

Yes, i would agree with this, I wouldn't like to play gates of loyang with more than 2, I think it would start to drag out too much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if it helps, the main reason I've ruled out agricola standard and family versions for now is the issues with the cards. My daughter would love to play along and build a farm in the family version but this version does not include the cards which can give direction as to which strategy or actions to take so wouldn't work for my mum as she just gets lost if too many options or too open. Playing the standard version with the cards would be too much for my daughter and from what I could see, it would have a lack of interaction for just two players but may consider it again later when daughter is older and have a third player lol.

If someone could tell me my assumptions are incorrect, I would love to hear as still indecisive regarding the standard with cards in two player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cox
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archon313 wrote:

...Agricola isn't NEARLY as table-consuming as Caverna, and even less with only two players...

(The emphasis was mine)

What? Agricola can be played with only two players? I always thought three was the minimum???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cox
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davymast wrote:
Also note that the standard Agricola game comes with rules to play a simpler "family" version, if you want to. I'm not really sure what you get that's different in the new "family" version.

Agricola's family version streamlines and simplifies by removing some of the occupation (I think) cards. There's also an alternate action(?) (task?) board. That board where players take turns doing one thing - such as gather stone - then the other player does one other thing, etc etc - THAT broad is different in the family version (I think).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kukailimoku wrote:
Archon313 wrote:

...Agricola isn't NEARLY as table-consuming as Caverna, and even less with only two players...

(The emphasis was mine)

What? Agricola can be played with only two players? I always thought three was the minimum???

It's solo-able. Box says 1-5 players. It's great with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cox
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
Also, if it helps, the main reason I've ruled out agricola standard and family versions for now is the issues with the cards. My daughter would love to play along and build a farm in the family version but this version does not include the cards which can give direction as to which strategy or actions to take so wouldn't work for my mum as she just gets lost if too many options or too open. Playing the standard version with the cards would be too much for my daughter and from what I could see, it would have a lack of interaction for just two players but may consider it again later when daughter is older and have a third player lol.

If someone could tell me my assumptions are incorrect, I would love to hear as still indecisive regarding the standard with cards in two player?

Generally.
Family game removes occupation cards and has a different action/task board. There are still cards- for improvements. Such as hearth, which allows conversion of some raw sustenance either into more quantities of food (bread) or different materiel (i.e. improvement X allows stones to be converted into food). Etc. I made up those specific examples but I think you get my point. There still is cards galore in family version, just not any occupations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cox
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YellowJack wrote:
Kukailimoku wrote:
Archon313 wrote:

(The emphasis was mine)

It's solo-able. Box says 1-5 players. It's great with 2.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that moving to Agricola Family Edition from Agricola will get you the reduction in complexity you are looking for. If you want an Uwe Rosenberg game, about farming (well, growing stuff), but think Agricola is too complex, then I would be looking at Cottage Garden

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cox
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
I don't think that moving to Agricola Family Edition from Agricola will get you the reduction in complexity you are looking for. If you want an Uwe Rosenberg game, about farming (well, growing stuff), but think Agricola is too complex, then I would be looking at Cottage Garden

wait a minute.... are we all talking about the same game? Id "Agricola Family Edition" the same things as the regular Agricola game with the extra family rules? Or is the Family Edition a whole 'nother boxing? I have a copy that has alternate/extra Faimly rules for simplification and easier play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moy Uba
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Kukailimoku wrote:
lacreighton wrote:

wait a minute.... are we all talking about the same game? Id "Agricola Family Edition" the same things as the regular Agricola game with the extra family rules? Or is the Family Edition a whole 'nother boxing? I have a copy that has alternate/extra Faimly rules for simplification and easier play.

yeah the family edition is the same as the family version in the zman release of agricola. mayfair sells it as a stand alone and it's not included in their editions of the regular full version of agricola. you also have to buy an expansion to play with five players. it's a total cash grab. you literally have to buy three seperate boxes, costing around £95, if you want the same thing you got in the zman edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to throw in Walnut Grove, it's by far my favourite farming game and while it's out of print in the US, you can easily get the EN/DE version in Germany (and I'll gladly help anyone having trouble finding it, it's such a great game, more ppl should get the opportunity to play it!). It's not overly complex but still gives you lots of decisions, doesn't play too long (totally possible to finish a 2-player game in 45 minutes) and has lots of set-up variation. I absolutely adore the game and cannot recommend it enough! :)

I'd recommend watching a few playthrough videos for agricola and everything ppl recommended that interests you to get a better impression of how much table space the games take and if the general play style suits you guys. Rahdo & slickerdrips are 2 youtubers who play almost exclusively 2-player, I often use their videos to get an idea weither the game's for me and my husband or not.

Good luck on your search and hope you enjoy whatever game you decide on getting lots! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Burkart
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to suggest something totally different: Fields of Green.

It's a drafting and tableau-building game with a farm theme. I haven't played it, but I own and have played the space game it's based on, Among the Stars, and it's quite good. I don't know how well Fields of Green captures the experience of farming, but it's a simpler game than Agricola or Caverna, so it might be worth looking into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.