Subject: Fluffy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluffy the aberration states "May only be killed with :feet: :feet: :feet: "

Gelatinous Cube states "Only :magic: deals damage to it"

The different wording makes it seem like Fluffy's defense value is irrelevant in defeating it. Is that the way Fluffy should be played?
If so, why does Fluffy have a defense value?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. It's as though his defense value should just be asterisk so you have to look at his ability sheet for the note. Then he would be immune to cards or abilities that lower his defense value. Or is it intended to mean "May also be killed with Feet, Feet, Feet"?

I also noticed other inconsistencies regarding immunity to Bow or other attributes. For example we have Ghost - Immune to "Bow" vs Skeleton - Immune to damage from "Bow" symbols. Why are they worded differently? Are we to read anything into it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weber
Germany
Ilmenau
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
I also noticed other inconsistencies regarding immunity to Bow or other attributes. For example we have Ghost - Immune to "Bow" vs Skeleton - Immune to damage from "Bow" symbols. Why are they worded differently? Are we to read anything into it?

Maybe they differentiate between Bow symbols and Bow dice here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Clark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tuckerotl wrote:

The different wording makes it seem like Fluffy's defense value is irrelevant in defeating it. Is that the way Fluffy should be played?

I believe it's worded differently because nowhere in the rules does it mention that Steps can be used to wound anything, but it does mention Magic being used that way. I think that you could lower either monsters defense with a treasure card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Check out the Board Game Beacon Blog: Click here then click on "Blogs" in the menu bar
badge
Follow me on Twitter: @BoardGameBeacon
mbmbmbmbmb
While using magic or elixirs to attack vulnerable monsters they count as ranged attacks, but I'd be inclined to count defeating Fluffy with 3 step symbols as a melee attack (i.e. he always gets to perform his payback).

I think thematically, using 3 steps possibly means you're either stamping Fluffy to death or chasing him around the room to catch him. Either way you'd have to get up close to him to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrWorm331 wrote:
tuckerotl wrote:

I believe it's worded differently because nowhere in the rules does it mention that Steps can be used to wound anything, but it does mention Magic being used that way. I think that you could lower either monsters defense with a treasure card.
Further compare to other monsters though:
Belly'aal (a 3 toughness monster) states: "May be killed with " (potions, but anything with a ":" followed by a "p" will show as an emoticon for most users, e.g., otion: )

Spear Beastman states: "May be killed with :magic: :magic: :magic: "

Since the number of potion symbols needed to kill Belly'aal is different than Belly'aal's toughness, this seems to imply that the sets of symbols presented as alternate ways to kill these monsters are not linked to toughness (and any effects that alter these monster's toughness do not affect the number of symbols necessary to kill them using these alternate methods).

I still cannot understand why Fluffy has a toughness value.

I do not see why "Only :feet: deals damage to it" would not have been used if they meant to have the number of symbols affected by and relevant to the toughness value (especially since they did use that wording for the Gelatinous Cube).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.