GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,144 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Am I a miniatures gamer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: minis [+] [View All]
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there competitors to HeroScape?

What games are there that have painted miniatures like HeroScape or AT-43? I have no desire to deal with a measuring tape like AT-43, and I don't like the time-warp mishmash theme of HeroScape. I don't like the collectibility of A&A or SW minis. What recommendations would you have? (Yes, I am being rather picky.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Non-collectible, pre-painted minis that use a board?

I'd say Heroclix/Horrorclix, if you only shop the secondary market and don't buy boosters, but you could do that with SW/D&D minis if you wanted as well.

Tanhauser appears to maybe fit the bill, but the Enlgish version isn't available just yet.

If the minis were painted, I'd say Descent would also satisfy you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of Miniatures games have painted Minis if you get somebody ELSE to paint them

For example. I recently grabbed a Bloodbowl team + extras + postage for $50 USD from a guy in Belgium. surprise

Back in the day when I was playing ancients/medievals, I got a professional to paint my morphable Arab type army (Lots of Camels and crappy archers ) That cost me about $660 AUD (and about 250 more to provide the lead) Sounds alot, but when you look at something that will look great and has phenomenal replayability (as opposed to fad collectible games) It's definitely money well spent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Prepainted, non-collecty, no measuring?

Nuthing comes to mind at all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, there's always the Super Hero version of HeroScape, but I don't know if thats a competitor to HeroScape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Escanaba
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion would be to buy Heroscape for the figures, then download some free miniatures wargame rules off the 'Net. There are rules for all sorts of skirmish games for free that could utilize the Heroscape figs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlefield Evolution is non-collectible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbobb wrote:

Navia Dratp! You can get a complete set cheaply now (there are only about 50 miniatures), it has a board and the gameplay is very good!

Do you like Shogi?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jachimowicz
United States
Millersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe that you are a true miniature gamer until you either own more unpainted miniatures than painted ones OR you own more unpainted miniatures than you will possibly complete in the lifetime you have remaining.

I know you aren't interested in painting, so that may put you in the category of 3-D boardgamer?

For games with pre-painted figures, I'd recommend Wings of War miniatures. No tape measure, no dice, scalable and a moderate level of realism.

Chris J.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't like the time-warp mishmash theme of HeroScape.

There's D&D Heroscape now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battleground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantin Goss
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In all honesty, you're NOT a miniature gamer. You like confrontational games with a modular board and miniatures on it. Just like i do. And the problem is that there are not many alternatives on the market.

You might want to try the following though:

1. Doom + Doom expansion
2. Space Hulk
3. Claustrophobia
4. Dungeon Twister Prison
5. Battlelore

They all come with miniatures and customizable/modular boards and are confrontational. It's not quite the same as Heroscape but it's at least the next best thing. I know what you're longing for but there just isn't anything there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Young
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbobb wrote:

Tanhauser appears to maybe fit the bill, but the Enlgish version isn't available just yet.

Tannhauser
's been out in English for 3 years. It's always been lacking a little something, however, but shows great potential. Fantasy Flight just completed a major overhaul of the game after listening to comments like mine, and has reworked the rules from the bottom-up. I'm getting my copy on Wednesday, and the initial water-cooler buzz is very positive so far.

Anyway, it's got nice painted minis, a board with line-of-sight pre-printed, removing the need for measuring. It's expandable with additional minis, but not 'collectible' in the sense that you know exactly what you're getting. These are all good things.

The theme may or may not work for you. You say you don't like the time-warp aspect of Heroscape. If you don't like the non-realistic nature, Tannhauser is in trouble: it takes place in a world where World War I never ended. As the fight became more desperate, each side was forced to reveal its deepest government secrets to stay competitive. For example, the US really did have aliens land at Roswell, and now reverse engineers their technology to make new battlefield weapons. If, however, the thing you don't like about Heroscape's time-warp is that it's too free-wheeling and roughly-defined, Tannhauser's theme should be great: it's got pages of backstory, clear 'rules' for how the world it's set in operates, and a distinct feel.

This might be perfect for you. I've always wanted to love it, myself, but found the base rules missing something important but hard-to-identify. I'd wait a week and see exactly what reviews start coming in for the new rules. The next printing (second edition?) will have the new rules bundled with them, but I haven't looked into when that will be.

Quote:
If the minis were painted, I'd say Descent would also satisfy you.

Yeah, Descent is awesome. But not painted. Play it first, if you get the chance: I've never really felt like it was a minis game, just a game that happens to includes lots and lots of figures. That said, it's always a good time around here. But, again, not painted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Young
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nova2001 wrote:
kingbobb wrote:

Tannhauser
's been out in English for 3 years.

Whoa! Looking back up top... this thread is 3 years old. How'd this end up on today's front page?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mattlokk
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaissance Man wrote:

ummm... this game includes NO miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Song of Blades and heroes can be played on a hex, and with that you can use the pre-painted minis from other 15mm or 28mm lines. The hex map will remove the need for measuring, and the ruleset is pretty light, which makes it pretty easy to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.