The Battle of Five Armies» Forums » Rules

Subject: Regular Dwarves vs Wargs: Which effect should be applied first? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rafael Verginelli
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hello, people!
First of all I want to apologize if I write any effects a little bit wrongly: I have the brazilian portuguese version of the game and I'm not sure about how the rules, effects, names are written in the original version.

But the thing is: there was a battle between a FP army containing Regular Dwarves and a Shadow army with Wargs. During a certain round, FP used Regular Dwarves Unit Card ("When applying damage, remove one Regular Dwarf to remove 3 damage tokens") and the Shadow used the Wargs Unit Card ("In the end of the round, your opponent is forced to apply Damage until there's a maximum of one Damage Token").
My doubt is: I don't know which effect I should apply first!

The book of the rules says that: "When the effect of two Event Cards is to be applied at the same time, the defender side is resolved first".
But it says that only for the Event Cards, not Unit cards, and depending on which effect I decide to apply first, it changes the battle result:

Shadow (defender) will be eliminated for sure, no units left after the battle, but if I apply Warg's effect first, the army of the FP is reduced from 5 units to 2.
If I apply the Regular Dwarves effect first, I remove only one Regular Dwarf to remove 3 damages and the rest of the units will be alive, with 4 Damage Tokens (4 units for 4 damage tokens, so no need to eliminate more units).

Does anybody knows how to proceed in this situation?
Thank you, guys!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Ramus
msg tools
designer
Deus Vult
badge
Gloria in excelsis Deo
mbmbmbmbmb
Simultaneously, meaning you'll eliminate the Regular unit to remove 3 damage and then keep aplying damage until there's a maximum of one Damage Token. In effect, like the first option you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Verginelli
Brazil
flag msg tools
I see...
So in this case we should make the possible to apply both effects, right?
For example, if I had applied the effect of the Warg's Unit Card first, it wouldn't be possible to apply the effect of the Regular Dwarves Unit Card.
Then the correct way is to apply the Regular Dwarves Unit Card first.
Is that the criteria?

Thank you very much!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Ramus
msg tools
designer
Deus Vult
badge
Gloria in excelsis Deo
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafa Vergil wrote:
I see...
So in this case we should make the possible to apply both effects, right?
For example, if I had applied the effect of the Warg's Unit Card first, it wouldn't be possible to apply the effect of the Regular Dwarves Unit Card.
Then the correct way is to apply the Regular Dwarves Unit Card first.
Is that the criteria?

Thank you very much!!

Yes, apply both effects. You're welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't really a conflict here at all. The Warg maneuver forces the Free Peoples player to apply Damage until only one token remains, and the Dwarf Regular maneuver allows that player to remove three tokens by taking a Dwarf Regular as a casualty. The result is that the Free Peoples player must apply Damage until only one counter remains, but in the course of doing so may take a Dwarf Regular as a casualty to remove three tokens.

Does that make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.