CulBlu Vlogs
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How would you rank the games in the Tiny Epic line of games??

So I recently made a video covering the tiny epic games with one another. I compared just the base game of the four current ones (Kingdoms, Defenders, Galaxies, Western), and my final opinion can be found in the video linked below.

I made the video because I just wanted to provide my two cents on how I would order the games, and provide some insight as to why.

So what order would you rank them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We really like Tiny Epic galaxies. It got a lot of play time at the table in 2016, and on Tabletop on Steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Agreed... Galaxies is the best so far. Next would be Kingdoms then Defenders. I haven't tried Heroes Call or Western yet, although I hope to play the latter today
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CulBlu Vlogs
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fh13 wrote:
Agreed... Galaxies is the best so far. Next would be Kingdoms then Defenders. I haven't tried Heroes Call or Western yet, although I hope to play the latter today

Oh man, oh man, if you like Galaxies, then you have a high chance of liking Western! Galaxies use to be my fav of the series, but then western came along and offered so many more awesome options.

Both still good games through

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Best is Galaxies, wort is a tie between Defenders and Kingdoms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have Galaxies and Western. I prefer Galaxies between those two.

In an interview, Micheal Coe of Gamelyn Games mentioned that Sail to India was the inspiration for the Tiny Epic series. It is also a good game in an even smaller package.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CulBlu Vlogs
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Phogg wrote:
I only have Galaxies and Western. I prefer Galaxies between those two.

In an interview, Micheal Coe of Gamelyn Games mentioned that Sail to India was the inspiration for the Tiny Epic series. It is also a good game in an even smaller package.

Oh nice, I didn't know that about Sail to India was an inspiration. I enjoy that game a ton

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I AM DEAN
msg tools
ampoliros wrote:
Best is Galaxies, wort is a tie between Defenders and Kingdoms.

Kingdoms itself is a little meh. It gets much better with the expansion. Still not as good as galaxies though. I'm still undecided on Western. I feel like that there are too many other worker placement games I'd rather play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Could anyone explain why they feel Galaxies is the best? I read the rulebook and was underwhelmed by what I read, but everyone here seems to be saying it's the best one, so I'm curious why.

Also, could anyone who has played TE Quest chime in with how that fits into the rankings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest to go a step further and not only read the rulebook but play the acutal game.
It really is fun ,bit off a race to get the right planets, keep looking to improve your civ and be ready to follow when your enemy does something you need. Its one of the few game where the others layers turn is as improtant as yours. For me its simple zany fun, fast to setup fast to play
.Even solo. It might not be the most epic of games but it delivers well and always welcome to the table. the expansion was an instabuy without knowing what it would do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Kingdoms and Quest and between those two I like Quest a lot better. I would have preferred if Quest had some variable player powers (they could have printed them on the backs of the player boards, allowing the players to choose from the "standard" build vs. the "specialized" build, like Eclipse did with its alien races).

This surprised me because Quest looked gimmicky. I only kicked it because my kids saw the item-meeples and flipped out. I expected the game to be lame but I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. I do think it might play itself out after a few more games, but in the meantime it's the current hotness at our house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan

McSherrystown
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it is a toss up between galaxies and epic quest. I have only played epic quest once so for but we loved it. I have not tried western yet. Planning on bringing epic quest to the table again this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Fabbi
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Proud member of the Cult of the New.
badge
The King of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think that Galaxies followed by Quest. Worst is West and defenders. Which is unfortunate because I really wanted to like West. Way to random and swingy. Too much of a runaway leader situation in every one of the west games I've played as well as there always seems to be one poor soul who gets really shafted every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandcastle
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite is Kingdoms, but I admit that probably I'm playing Galaxies wrong: everybody says it's the best, but usually our games become very long and boring, with a lot of downtime...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I thought was any good was Tiny Epic Galaxies. Sold off the rest as they were dull. Much rather play something else for the time commitment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gagnon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Graphic Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't read the other answers, i'm sorry i'm at work and have very little time to browse the forum but i'ld be surprised if someone disagreed with this:

Galaxies is the better maybe tie with Quest
Western is the worst

All others can barely be called games, they are dull as hell. Good concept, poorly implanted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have only played Kingdom, Quest and Galaxy. Quest is the best to me, but it's not as exciting as I though it would be. Galaxy and Kingdom are just average games to me.

Scott Almes knows how to market a game very well, but I've never played a game by him that impressed me too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valpuri Kerttula
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Thanks for the review! Just what I needed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See also: ►Tiny Epic Confusion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Could anyone explain why they feel Galaxies is the best? I read the rulebook and was underwhelmed by what I read, but everyone here seems to be saying it's the best one, so I'm curious why.

Also, could anyone who has played TE Quest chime in with how that fits into the rankings?

I was underwhelmed by Galaxies. It just felt like "roll some dice and move some cubes" to me. The planet abilities were very ordinary, which didn't help much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

I was underwhelmed by Galaxies. It just felt like "roll some dice and move some cubes" to me. The planet abilities were very ordinary, which didn't help much.

After now playing most of the TE games, I agree. I just find Galaxies to be a little dull compared to the rest. I bought the expansion for it, which helped a decent amount, but the base game felt like it was just lacking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie L

New Jersey
msg tools
Odinsfury wrote:
I have only played Kingdom, Quest and Galaxy. Quest is the best to me, but it's not as exciting as I though it would be. Galaxy and Kingdom are just average games to me.

Scott Almes knows how to market a game very well, but I've never played a game by him that impressed me too much.

I agree with the bolded part. I do like the games overall due to the portability, but I don't think I'd consider any of them otherwise.

I still haven't played my copies of Kingdoms + expansion and Western, so here are my rankings for now:

Galaxies (+/- expansion) > Quest > Defenders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.