Popular Tags: [View All]
Dominique Doguet
France
SAINT SYLVAIN
SEINE MARITIME
flag msg tools
Unaware... Really ?
badge
In case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening and good night !
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody.

First I apologize if my question has already been asked - I browsed the forum but didn't see anything like it.

I've only played this game once (with a beginner like me, so we spent a LOT of time understanding and applying the rules). I can feel the great potential of this game, but I'm afraid to miss or overlook something while playing, so I'd like to practice against an A.I. and am considering buying and downloading the Android app. But will it be useful to me as a rookie ? Is there a tutorial mode ? Will I learn to play the game with this app (with a learning curve) ? Or should I choose to practise it more with my game buddy ?

I'm awaiting your answers and thank you very much for taking the time to read my post.

Have a nice week-end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
The AI of the app is completely worth it. While the AI doesn't give expert or intermediate players much of a game, it is fantastic to learn the cards, game basics, and DEFCON suicide cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The AI for the game on Steam is not bad. Being a beginner, it beat me a few times (I mostly triggered nuclear wars). But after a dozen plays I beat it all the time. But even then, it was still entertaining. (there is a handicap system to help out the AI a bit)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
It's absolutely worth it as a new player, the tutorial is really good and the game UI itself does a great job of making you aware of your options and the consequences of your actions. It also shows the dice rolls that are being made in a way that allows your mind to easily transfer this knowledge to the tabletop version.

Also, the AI provides a decent challenge that is not unbeatable. The game is also very easy to pick up and put down so you'll play so much of it that you'll have no chance of not learning it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... I am disgusted and disappointed, but I still want to believe people can be honest and sensible.
badge
If am still here, it is only for the gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a rookie, it is worth it if you have no face-to-face partner as it is an excellent way to get familiar with the cards and with the basics of the game play. I had played the game a couple of times face to face and once on Wargameroom or Vassal and had a few solo games by myself. I lost a couple of games because of my own terribly poor play and another 6 to 8 because I clicked the wrong button or misread the DEFCON level. Many of the games I played with the AI were challenging while allowing me a very satisfactory comeback in the final turns.

However, if you do have a player to play constantly with, either a rookie or a patient teacher, the app is functionally no better than the Wargameroom or the Vassal implementations and you can use
Twilight Strategy
to avoid the pitfalls of groupthink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Doguet
France
SAINT SYLVAIN
SEINE MARITIME
flag msg tools
Unaware... Really ?
badge
In case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening and good night !
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, 4 answers, 4 invitations to download it : you made my day !

Many thanks to Ken, Marc, Inappropriate Andy and Bitchy Little Boy for their help !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
The AI for the game on Steam is not bad. Being a beginner, it beat me a few times (I mostly triggered nuclear wars). But after a dozen plays I beat it all the time. But even then, it was still entertaining. (there is a handicap system to help out the AI a bit)
For sure, the Steam game is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alter Zausel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing the Android version for some weeks now, and it is a really solid implementation. However, the AI has its flaws, my favorite being the T1 AR1 China Card coup in the Philippines!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
followup question: which screen size is minimum in your opinion? i have a 5,5 inch mobile screen, i imagine playing TS on it a rather fiddly experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
I play on a 5" screen quite happily, it does require a bit of pinch-zooming but the UI deals with it fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clawf1ng3r wrote:
followup question: which screen size is minimum in your opinion? i have a 5,5 inch mobile screen, i imagine playing TS on it a rather fiddly experience.

same here: it's the only thing that makes me hesitating in purchasing TS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools
badge
mb
Alter_Zausel wrote:
I've been playing the Android version for some weeks now, and it is a really solid implementation. However, the AI has its flaws, my favorite being the T1 AR1 China Card coup in the Philippines!
Everybody complains about it, but I imagine that maybe the AI is just ahead of its time, and in 10 years the community thinking will converge on the idea that it's the best opening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Thorp
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a good candidate for an opponent to play regularly face to face, I think you should do that, otherwise you will quickly be far ahead of him in skill. Have fun learning the strategy together! +1 read just a bit on twilight strategy.com after a few games- both of you. It will be. SO MUCH more fun that way!

If your opponent isn't much interested though, the app is truly excellent and they recently improved the AI. It's still not great, and occasionally still makes really dumb moves, but is no longer the complete pushover it was just a month ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Heron
Poland
Krakow
maƂopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my money the main reason to get the app is for the online play, not the AI opponent.

I have the Ios version, and my only serious gripe is that the app closes if you switch to another app. It's the only app I've tried that doesn't support multitasking. Hopefully Playdek will address this issue in a future update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls