mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
symbol when played, so they are
useful for cards in the Dungeon that
require many different symbols.
You don’t have to use all the symbols
when you play a Magic Bomb.

Quote:
A card laid is a card played. Once you let go of a card to play it to the middle of the table, it cannot be taken back. (It’s OK to show a card to other players without actually playing it if you like.)

...except when facing a Boss: Once you get to the Dungeon Boss, you are not allowed to play Resource Cards that don’t match the boss’ symbols. You also can’t play Action cards that target Monsters, People or Obstacles (Bosses don’t count as any of those types). You need to match the Boss’ symbols to defeat it! Any cards played this way have to be taken back.

So my question: when playing a Magic Bomb against a Boss, which wins: the "you don't have to use all the symbols" or the "you are not allow to play resource cards that don't match the boss' symbols"?

BTW, what's the significance of the star in the middle of the magic bomb?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Missy F
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure where you are quoting from but you ARE allowed to play cards that don't match the required symbols. They just don't have a purpose and get discarded from the game for good (not placed in your discard pile.)
The only reason you would want to do this would be to draw new cards, keeping in mind if every one has no cards left to draw, you loose!
Therefore at the end of the game when you fight the boss, you just throw cards down to pick up more to try to defeat it, discard to pick up more cards.

If you are playing a magic bomb on a card/ boss that doesn't need one of every symbol then the unused symbols are wasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystek wrote:
I'm not sure where you are quoting from but you ARE allowed to play cards that don't match the required symbols. They just don't have a purpose and get discarded from the game for good (not placed in your discard pile.)
The only reason you would want to do this would be to draw new cards, keeping in mind if every one has no cards left to draw, you loose!
Therefore at the end of the game when you fight the boss, you just throw cards down to pick up more to try to defeat it, discard to pick up more cards.

If you are playing a magic bomb on a card/ boss that doesn't need one of every symbol then the unused symbols are wasted.
I'm quoting from the rulebook from the Kickstarter PnP. While you are allowed to play "extra" symbols for non-bosses, the rulebook categorically states that this is not the case for Bosses (see my second block quote). So unless you can demonstrate why I should credit your assertion over the rulebook, I'll stick with the rulebook that I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had clarification from the designer (via the publisher's web page for the game)

mccrispy wrote:
2. How do Magic Bombs work against a Boss? They provide all the symbols, but you aren’t allowed to play non-matching symbols against Bosses, though the description of the Magic Bomb says “You don’t have to use all the symbols when you play a Magic Bomb”. So which takes precedence? The Boss rule or the Magic Bomb rule?
Connor wrote:
You can play magic bombs against a Boss, since they will always match at least one of the required resources. Similarly, you could play a Sword&Shield resource card even if only one of the two resources match.
This is an interesting clarification and I felt the need to seek some further detail, I'll post anything I get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the physical game and the first question that came to mind is this.

So is that if the rulebook say "you dont have to use the other symbols on resource card", then you can get around the "dont play non matching resources against boss" rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MVashM wrote:
I got the physical game and the first question that came to mind is this.

So is that if the rulebook say "you dont have to use the other symbols on resource card", then you can get around the "dont play non matching resources against boss" rule?
Probably, I guess what the rules should make clear is that with multi-resource cards you can ignore (as if they weren't on the card) any symbols that you don't want to use. (What's needed is a wording that means that the symbols are effectively not on the card if you don't want them to be, so that you can avoid conflict the with non-matching symbol rule for Bosses.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.