GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Wondering if I have missed out on any 2 player games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So in the past I came on here and asked for suggestions for casual 2 player games to play with my girlfriend who doesn't like take that games (or abstract games like Hive or Onitama). When I came on here I got some good suggestions. I picked up Jaipur which we had fun with, Patchwork which I really enjoy.

Since coming on here I have gotten my girlfriend into other games (like Broom Service, Mechs Vs Minions, Isle of Skye, and Karuba to list a few). Raptor sadly ended up being a bit of a bust (although I still love that game and am holding onto it).

Our interest in playing the lighter games lately has waned though. I am attempting to sell my copy of Jaipur at the moment because it simply never gets to the table, and I don't see the point of holding onto it really. Patchwork is staying though because I still really enjoy that one.

My question to you all is, have I missed any small casual 2 player games lately that have come up? I keep up to date with Dice Tower reviews, and keep an eye out for suggestions, but I have not seen anything which really looked good to me. I know there was a new game which looked a lot like Patchwork but I didn't think we needed another game like that one.

Before I ramble on anymore, please share your suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santorini has been a big hit at my house. My wife and I have played it a lot and over the holidayss it felt like someone was always playing it at our house.
I normally don't like abstract games, but this was one of my favorite games of last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Akrotiri is heavier than Jaipur or Patchwork, and if you are indeed heading in that direction, check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check Province. It's a very quick, simple yet "strategic" 2 players playable everywhere (ultracompact).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Schotten Totten
7 Wonders Duel
Mr. Jack Pocket or just regular Mr. Jack actually
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 7 Wonders Duel
+1 Splendor

Arboretum works well for 2 players but may be a bit too abstract. It can also get a bit "take that" if you let it. But it doesn't have to be played that way.

Kodama: The Tree Spirits is an interesting light game that works well for two. Very Zen.

I have heard good things about Hanamikoji too, but I haven't played it myself. It is on my wishlist.

Not small, but Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries may fit the bill. We really enjoy it and the UK map but that is an expansion not a standalone game.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases is brilliant but needs lots of time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're missing The Castles of Burgundy! Seriously, look no further for a meaty game that plays amazingly with 2 players in about 40 minutes.

If you do want to look further, this is my go-to geeklist when I'm looking for games that play best with 2 players:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/48970/best-two

It's a list of all the games that the BGG community has voted as playing "best with two", in order of rank.

Ok, I confess, we're also really enjoying Grand Austria Hotel right now. It's fabulous!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to both Santorini and Splendor

Also...
Jambo
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Trambahn
Cartagena
Kamisado, which I think may have been replaced by Kamisado Max. Very thinky.

Among the Stars (while the game does have special rules for playing with 2 players, the 2nd edition includes variant 2-player rules in the rulebook developed by someone here on BGG which play even smoother)

And you mention keeping up with Dice Tower...you've probably heard Sam Healey mention a game on several lists recently that has just been reprinted...Hanamikoji. Lovely, light card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Trambahn
+1 Castles of Burgundy
Gold West
Seasons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a lot of terrific suggestions here. I'm quite surprised that Targi has not been mentioned ... terrific little game. I'd also suggest looking at Odin's Ravens, maybe Star Realms or Hero Realms and finally, lately I've been enjoying Star Wars Destiny. Good luck with your quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kythrid wrote:
You have a lot of terrific suggestions here. I'm quite surprised that Targi has not been mentioned ... terrific little game. I'd also suggest looking at Odin's Ravens, maybe Star Realms or Hero Realms and finally, lately I've been enjoying Star Wars Destiny. Good luck with your quest.

I would have but it is difficult to get right now. Reprint is not scheduled until 2018. It is another one on my wishlist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Elements is a small-footprint 2-player game with simple rules, but surprising deep and addicting. A complicated variation on it that can accomodate more players is the newly released Capital Lux.

I suggest Odin's Ravens (Second Edition), like others have already suggested. It's a modern classic for a reason.

edit: most cooperative games work great w/ 2 players. Maybe check out Pandemic: The Cure, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, or even Ghost Stories.

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Targi, Odin's Ravens, Agricola Big and Small, Kahuna. Also agree Castles of Burgundy great for two!

Others in my collection are Times Square, Carcasonne The Castle, and Asante, though maybe not quite what you're looking for anymore.

I really love Catan The Card Game (might have a different name now - Rivals?) - lots to think about, but a big footprint and seems to take us ages! Also, Letters from Whitechapel works best (for me) with only two and is a real stressful brainburner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Zollinhofer
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just adding in another vote for Castles of Burgundy & 7 Wonders Duel.

My son and I love playing Legendary 2 player (not sure if you all are into the superhero theme).

My brother and I will play Dominion 2 player anytime anywhere (I know a lot of people are tired of it, but we still love it).

Carcassonne is a good 2 player as well that I didn't see mentioned.

Castles of Mad King Ludwig is also pretty enjoyable and in the same vein as Isle of Skye

I know you said abstracts wasn't your thing, but I've been playing Tintas in my classroom as well as with my family and it is a fun 10 minute game of hardly any luck.

Good luck finding something that works for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot to mention this one...

Taluva

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Croft
United States
Smithfield
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Santorini. And +1 to Carcassonne. They are currently rereleasing the expansions, which can add more variety to the base game. There are also many variations of Carcassonne to choose from. I'm currently waiting for my preorder to come in so I can finally get my Carcassonne South Seas copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric L
United States
Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not positive where the cutoff is for "small casual"..

Small footprint, short playtime, outstanding for two: race for the galaxy
-I really can't say enough about this one as a highly replayable moderately deep two player experience, that plays in half an hour or less. If I could only recommend one it would be this one. A little tricky to learn initially. I recommend watching rahdo's run through.

Arena Roma II. Great casual two player game

Small footprint, longer playtime: targi
-A bit thinkier. Possible AP/burnout with many plays in a row.

Larger, longer, great for two: Agricola, castles of burgandy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to carcassonne and odin's ravens

We also really like a average sized game called Seeland as is a little more interactive than some others and plays really well two player and gives you enough to think about.

A smaller one might be Samurai although this might be veering towards too abstract??

We also love a small card game called Port Royal - you can also play this co-op if you get the expansion and it's nice and cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Onitama
Hanamikoji

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Crokinole
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:
Akrotiri is heavier than Jaipur or Patchwork, and if you are indeed heading in that direction, check it out.

+1 on Akrotiri, though it may be rather expensive to obtain a copy.

+1 on Kahuna, but be advised, that when it's played well, it's very much a "take that" game.

+1 on Agricola: All Creatures Big & Small (which is apparently about to be reprinted).

Instead of Pandemic, I recommend Pandemic: The Cure (the dice version) or Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu (lite Chtulhu theme) because they play more quickly. My wife and I play them more than we play Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danijel Pošta
Croatia
Sigetec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Longhorn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.