GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,482 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Conquest of Paradise» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules question after first play, Cards that effect combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question nr1:
Tatoo and Haka have the same effect: "One enemy panic rolls in each battle causes 2 units to retreat".
They are forced to retreat to nearest controlled isloand group, correct?

Does this card only work for one die roll during each of the battles you partipate in? Or does it work for every die roll you choose to have it active?

Example. I attack 3 places.
1st battle have 3 die rolls then its over. Does this card only effect one of these die rolls, or does it effect all three?

And then second battle, I can use it again, but with the same question as for the first battle.

And finally the third and last battle, same question as second and first battle.

Question nr 2:
When I retreat, it say I must retreat to an Island group I control, that effectly means a village correct?

Question number 3:
Can I have landbased units on atolls? Or do they need to sit in canoes, just like open water hexes?

I hope this questions make any sence

Really really loved the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that one panic roll causes two units to panic, although of course you are right reading the text literally. Kevin may want to clarify this.

The card text reads: "one enemy panic roll in each battle", so if you have three battles in a round, you might be able to use that card once per battle, up to three times in a round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
Tatoo and Haka have the same effect: "One enemy panic rolls in each battle causes 2 units to retreat".
They are forced to retreat to nearest controlled isloand group, correct?

No, it causes two units to panic instead of just one. In hindsight, this could have been worded better. blush

Tolchock wrote:
Does this card only work for one die roll during each of the battles you partipate in?

Yes.

Tolchock wrote:
Or does it work for every die roll you choose to have it active?

No, just once per battle.

Tolchock wrote:
Example. I attack 3 places.
1st battle have 3 die rolls then its over. Does this card only effect one of these die rolls, or does it effect all three?

Just one.

Tolchock wrote:
And then second battle, I can use it again, but with the same question as for the first battle.

You can use the card again in this next battle, but again, just once.

Tolchock wrote:
And finally the third and last battle, same question as second and first battle.

You can use it in this third battle, but just once.

Tolchock wrote:
I hope this questions make any sence

Yes, they are good questions! In fact, I think I would have worded these cards a bit differently if you had asked the question earlier. Maybe for the third edition...

Tolchock wrote:
Really really loved the game!

Thanks! blush

Kevin

edit: Thanks for the correct answers, Neko! You beat me by 3 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:
We play that one panic roll causes two units to panic, although of course you are right reading the text literally. Kevin may want to clarify this.

The card text reads: "one enemy panic roll in each battle", so if you have three battles in a round, you might be able to use that card once per battle, up to three times in a round.
But not more then one time in each of those battles, that is what we also think.

I have also edit more quesions to the original post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:

Question nr 2:
When I retreat, it say I must retreat to an Island group I control, that effectly means a village correct?

Right. An Island Group without a Village is not controlled by anyone, even if there are units there.

Tolchock wrote:

Question number 3:
Can I have landbased units on atolls? Or do they need to sit in canoes, just like open water hexes?

Yes, you can:

http://www.gmtgames.com/nnconqpar/Official_CoP_FAQ_V2_2.pdf

but that does not come up in practice really, except for very rare circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:
Tolchock wrote:

Question nr 2:

Right. An Island Group without a Village is not controlled by anyone, even if there are units there.

Tolchock wrote:

Question number 3:

Yes, you can:

http://www.gmtgames.com/nnconqpar/Official_CoP_FAQ_V2_2.pdf

but that does not come up in practice really, except for very rare circumstances.

Okeh thanks. In out first game I had an atoll as outpost with 3 warrior band on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KMcPartland wrote:

Tolchock wrote:

Okej, one more addition question about using cards in battle, then Im all set
If I say, "okey Im going to use this tatoo card for this die roll". And the roll come out so the cards effect dident really matter, for example it was a 6 so I had to remove a unit. Can I then use the card again until the card have effectivly been used or have I already consumed the power of the card even thou the effect of the card never took place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:

Correct!

Tolchock wrote:

Warrior Bands can sit on atolls by themselves. This is covered somewhere in the FAQ- they will even force enemy War Canoes to stop. I suppose a Colony could sit on an atoll, but why would they ever?

Kevin

edit: Ack! Necko beat me again! And his answers are even better than mine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
KMcPartland wrote:

Tolchock wrote:

Okej, one more addition question about using cards in battle, then Im all set
If I say, "okey Im going to use this tatoo card for this die roll". And the roll come out so the cards effect dident really matter, for example it was a 6 so I had to remove a unit. Can I then use the card again until the card have effectivly been used or have I already consumed the power of the card even thou the effect of the card never took place.

Roll the dice before playing the card and the problem disappears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:

I believe the card affects "one enemy panic roll." So, no, you wouldn't have used up the card yet. Generally, I don't think you have to say that you are using the card before you roll the dice. You can apply the card after the dice have given you the roll you needed to activate the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:

If I say, "okey Im going to use this tatoo card for this die roll". And the roll come out so the cards effect dident really matter

First you roll the die. Then, if the result can be affected by your card, you declare that you are using the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KMcPartland wrote:

edit: Ack! Necko beat me again! And his answers are even better than mine!

ninja

And I even did 20 minutes of yoga between answering one question and the next one! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
"okey Im going to use this tatoo card for this die roll".

Ah, here's your mistake. You don't announce that you're using a card until the necessary roll comes up. Sometimes, your Tattoo card will remain face-down for an entire battle, when you attack and never roll a 4 or 5 (or when you defend, and your enemy never rolls a 2 or 3).

Kevin

edit: I must just be slow. Everybody beat me with that answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:
And I even did 20 minutes of yoga between answering one question and the next one! laugh

I did take a lunch break in there...

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played second time today, really really like this game, what the games want to accomplish it does it very nice. Cant understand why people complain over the randomness of the game. i have been unöucky with discovery and island but still won. The event card is nice catch up machanic!

Now to a rule question. The art and culture cards that give an additional ammount of VP if a certain requiremwnt is fullfolled when the card is released. Does that extra vp always apply if it was true when the card was revealed but changed after som game turns. For example the "Moai" card. One player got this got today, he had two villages on the island when he played it. So he then discard one of the villages. The card is now worth 3p, correct?

Is this card always worth 3VP to the player now? Even if he lose the island?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The additional VP is lost and regained every time the island is lost and reconquered. So you must control it at game's end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the kind words, Viktor! blush

Quote:
i have been unöucky with discovery and island but still won.

Yes! I have seen people have amazingly bad luck exploring, and still win. One fellow found exactly one Atoll and about 20 Open Ocean- and he won, and we weren't even using the Event Cards! He played a very savvy game- manipulating the turn order so that he snatched a few islands out from under the noses of the player who first found them, before they could colonize them. Then, he picked off a few poorly defended small islands with his War Canoes. He just edged out the victory.

Thanks Neko, you are correct. The value of the card is determined at the time that it is counted. So in one Victory Step, the Moai card could be worth 3 VP, and in the next turn's Victory Step, after its owner lost Rapa Nui in combat, it's only worth 2 VP.

Tolchock wrote:
For example the "Moai" card. One player got this got today, he had two villages on the island when he played it. So he then discard one of the villages. The card is now worth 3p, correct?

Correct. This presents a difficult decision for any player holding the Moai card and controlling Rapa Nui. Do you reveal the card before the end of the game, so that you have an opportunity to rebuild the lost Village? Or do you hold the card until the end of the game, in which case you effectively lose the bonus point (that Village you just removed was worth 1 VP). If you reveal the Moai card too soon, you might make yourself a target, the other players knowing that you will lose the bonus VP if they take Rapa Nui from you.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.