Hide
19 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Factory scoring overpowered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Parker Kinds
msg tools
I've found that the person who controls the factory at the end of the game seems to always win. Curious if anyone else was finding the same thing. The only times this hasn't happened is when the person controlling the factory has the lowest popularity or was way behind on stars. This rarely happens in our games though because if that player is sitting on the factory, usually the lead player is able to battle to place the final star and thus leapfrog the second highest score player. Seems like like the 8/6 extra coins bonus from the factory is difficult to overcome if everyone is evenly spread out during the end game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends. Often in the games I've played the game ends over a final battle for the factory. The person who attacks puts themselves in a position where they're guaranteed to win the attack, and they end the game by getting a final star (or something). They win because they have the most stars and the factory territory bonus is pretty nice.

Now, the last game I had the factory at the end of the game but still lost. My opponent had two more stars then me and maxed out his structure bonus. Theee are all sorts of situations and ways to play against someone who has claim to the factory. Keep them from having any other territory, get your popularity higher, spread out more, get the most out of structure bonuses, place your final stars before them... or you could just kick them out of the factory and claim it for yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hasn't been an issue in our 6 sessions. Only twice has the player controlling the factory won the game. I've won 3 times and I haven't ever controlled the Factory at the end of the game...in fact, I've only ever went to the Factory twice in all of my plays...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, factory scoring is overpowered, the game wasn't playtested.

/s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaworu17 wrote:

/s

Please tell me you're joking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
Kaworu17 wrote:

/s

Please tell me you're joking.

He rates the game a 9 so I think it's just a touch of sarcasm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
/s usually stands for that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
/s usually stands for that

Obviously I'm not aware of all Internet traditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I wasn't patronizing, sorry about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last game I played, I controlled the factory and still lost!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the 20 or so games I have played, the player who gets the sixth victory star seems to win- sometimes only just. The exception seems to be where that person has really rubbish popularity (not gone beyond the first level).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PEdorido wrote:
Last game I played, I controlled the factory and still lost!

This has definitely happened to me, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking the factory certainly helps, it is worth 3 hexes in final scoring, but not if you are spending a lot of resources defending it while others are acquiring hexes more easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Leist

Hagerstown
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
Every winner we have had controlled the factory space at the end of the game. I am not saying it is overpowered, just adding data points. 12-14 games and 100% factory space for winner. We thought about making it worth 2 territories instead of 3, but thought the main problem was that the person controlling it until the final round was expecting those points and it seems they should have looked for a way to end it early. Of course, the person winning would still have control of the factory, but the wild swing in points in the final turn wouldn't be the reason for the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Zappala
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Kaworu17 wrote:

/s

"and the winner is... *struggles with envelope*... Jeffrey Speer!!!"

Ahem...

The reason why the person with the factory is a forerunner in a game is that it is the most contentious and resource bare spot on the board. Only a powerful faction will be able to control it if the factory is a lynchpin in a session.

Here is a flawed statement: "I control the factory, therefore I am winning the game."
Here is a more concrete statement: "I can win the game if I can be on the factory during my turn in which I end the game."

Controlling the factory at the appropriate time is an *indicator* of one's strength during the game. But controlling the factory at any given time does not mean one is strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kendl
United States
Hartford
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
In the 20 or so games I have played, the player who gets the sixth victory star seems to win- sometimes only just. The exception seems to be where that person has really rubbish popularity (not gone beyond the first level).

That's usually because if I don't think I'm going to win, I'm not going to trigger a 6th star yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Derr
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Get off my Avatar NERD!
mbmbmbmbmb
guardianz wrote:
Kaworu17 wrote:

/s

"and the winner is... *struggles with envelope*... Jeffrey Speer!!!"

Ahem...

The reason why the person with the factory is a forerunner in a game is that it is the most contentious and resource bare spot on the board. Only a powerful faction will be able to control it if the factory is a lynchpin in a session.

Here is a flawed statement: "I control the factory, therefore I am winning the game."
Here is a more concrete statement: "I can win the game if I can be on the factory during my turn in which I end the game."

Controlling the factory at the appropriate time is an *indicator* of one's strength during the game. But controlling the factory at any given time does not mean one is strong.

Very well said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Chandler
United States
Burke
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The REAL problem is that my opponents are OP...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
The factory is important for scoring, certainly. On the other hand...

My son managed to come in last place while having the factory and six stars while his two opponents only had three stars each! In his defense, he knew his situation was only going to get worse when he ended things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.