GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,203 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game recommendations for older people rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I'm looking for suitable gateway games to play with groups of older people in assisted living accommodation - say, 60-80+.

I'll get my defence in first: I know there's no reason at all why older people cannot and should not play ANY game, from Cards against Humanity to TI3 and Pie Face. But... although nothing should be totally ruled out, on the whole, I think, they're more likely to want to play something else.

So, with that clear, the games I'm thinking of would ideally have no or few really fiddly bits, decent-sized text, not be too long (an hour or less), not overly complex, ideally beautiful and engaging.

They could be fun and silly - Dobble; physical - Rhino Hero, Ghost Blitz; mathsy - Lost Cities; 2 player - Balloon Cup, Jaipur; 3-4 player - TtR USA, Alhambra; co-op - Pandemic. Hopefully you get the idea!

Any contributions greatly received!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Perez
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think The Game on Fire (expansion) is a fun coop to play.

Kingdomino- it is a tile laying game and players are trying to create the best kingdom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian taylor wrote:
Hi

I'm looking for suitable gateway games to play with groups of older people in assisted living accommodation - say, 60-80+.

I'll get my defence in first: I know there's no reason at all why older people cannot and should not play ANY game, from Cards against Humanity to TI3 and Pie Face. But... although nothing should be totally ruled out, on the whole, I think, they're more likely to want to play something else.

So, with that clear, the games I'm thinking of would ideally have no or few really fiddly bits, decent-sized text, not be too long (an hour or less), not overly complex, ideally beautiful and engaging.

Why not some of the simpler, but well-made, abstracts?

Advantages:

* easy to learn
* only need to find one opponent
* usually have fewer, larger pieces
* well-made and solid construction (assuming wooden pieces)
* attractive to look at it (again, assuming wooden pieces)
* length can be variable, depending on learning time and opponent

Not sure I should link to actual commercial games, but will try and find some pics here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games that worked well with parents and parent-in-laws for me were Bohnanza, San Juan, Tsuro, and Ticket to Ride (10th Anniversary as the large board was really good for my mom's poor eyes and the bits were large enough for her to handle easily).

I think other games that would work well (that I haven't tested yet) are Nile Deluxor, Sheriff of Nottingham, and Splendor.

For cooperative games, I'd stick to the lighter/faster/less fiddly Forbidden Island (and maybe Forbidden Desert).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just some ideas ... these are mostly higher recommended games, but there is a much larger selection out there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Work for all ages?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife's grandmother is in her 80s and enjoys card games. One of her favorite games is 10 Down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Gran, who is in her 80's, doesn't really play games. But she loves Snorta! It leaves her (and all of us) in fits of laughter.

Hilarious, lovely components, and suitable for up to 8 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquire might be a good choice. And for a shorter game No Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all, brilliant suggestions already! I agree with No Thanks! and Forbidden Island probably a better bet than Pandemic (at least at first, and some of those abstracts look a good choice. Recommendations of games already tried and tested with the oldies are particularly helpful. Haven't heard of some of them - Snorta, Game on Fire, 10 Down - so looking forward to checking them out.

Keep 'em coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the nod to Ticket to Ride: 10th Anniversary. It's simple to learn and then it board and components are easy to handle. It can also play as fast or slow as the group wants and allows ample time for needed breaks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
10th Edition TtR looks fantastic, tho at the current price the gamers I have in mind will need to write me into their will first...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Ginley
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I knew a lady in her early 90's, fiercely competitive, who took on all-comers in DRAUGHTS (Checkers)and rarely lost a game. When she did lose, she insisted on a rematch and would try to wear her opponents down in subsequent games.She could play for hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.