Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a showdown against the hand L2, and my guy with a dbk badge drew quad strike. In the end we took the punishing just as usual, but I noticed that you could use quad strike as long as you have survival, am I right?

Basically, you can just place the survivors, spend 10 survival for 10 quad strikes one after the other, resulting in likely 10 wounds without reactions.

Is this the case in your opinion too? I searched all the manuals to find a limit to that, but I found nothing.

For reference, quad strike is a dbk tactics card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the survivor who drew that tactics card can activate it. But as long as they have survival to spend, sure. It's rather good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Buller
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
Oldschool
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit off topic, but the tactic cards are drawn, not chosen right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, but you still have a one in three chances of drawing what you need, assuming you have all the badges for all the expansions that you add.

About the tactics owner spending survival, it was accounted for, and actually you just need to have a lonely ant to make the whole thing crazy (at LY15, your survival limit is easily between 7 and 11, depending on choices and luck (and expansions and settlements lost... That is 14 to 22 wounds the second turn, assuming you don't use up survival for anything else)

You could annihilate a L1 lion God the first time you apply the tactics, without even triggering a reaction.

To further elaborate, if you choose sotf (that will be viable in 1.5, barbaric and have clan of death, a fresh survivor starts with +3 st, that is a base 12. If survivors are not newbies, your start can easily be 16-18. Since the card says to sum that to a roll and compare with toughness, I tend to assume that you can still succeed of you roll 1 (due to the wording), exactly like you could still fail if you roll 10 but you have 4 -1 strength survivors.

And, of course, there are so many options to recover survival in battle that it is not practical to list them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you accounted for it in your post. I wanted to clarify for general discussion.

However I don't really know what more to say, except that I toned down my original comments on this matter. In truth, this card is utterly broken and it the prime reason why you absolutely have to keep all 3 expansions worth of tactics in the deck at all times. Just to stop drawing it so often.

I really do not have a solution for this card outside of house rules and at the moment the only recommendations I can think of is to do one/some of the following:

1. Remove it from the deck
2. Reduce the D10 rolled to D5s
3. Have it only knock down the monster
4. Make it once per showdown <- I think this is my preferred choice, it's amazingly powerful anyway.
5. Make all survivors spend survival
6. Increase the survival cost

But none of these seem to fix the problem, if you get quad strike you can pretty much kill anything that has under 20 wounds with minimal risk. It doesn't feel like this card was properly tested at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
This came up a few months back on KDM Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/KingdomDeath/comments/555gjv/what_i...

Essentially the thought back then was that the phrase, "Each Survivor may spend 1 survival" is how it really should be read.

Quad Strike is probably the top contender for a perma house-rule until an errata is produced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Aranha
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording is confusing, but to me the card reads as (at some point) during the survivors' turn if you're in the required alignment spend 1 (and only 1) survival to Quad Strike. "If you do", then proceed with the specified wound check.

Otherwise, I agree this card is broken in the end game. I could drop GSK to 7 cards on t1 without drawing a HL.

To me the text that is really missing from the card is "limit once per turn"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.