Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Bragg
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Hello!

I was hoping some of you guys might be able to offer me some advice. I'm going to try running a STAW campaign setting with a larger group ( 5-10 people, rotating attendance) using a system cobbled together from a couple of resources, with some changes:

1. I was planning on using a modified version of Sean Patten's wonderful coop house rules found at the below link as an introductory piece ( most people in the group have never played). I think this lends itself to a fun way for people to learn the rules and not feel that instant dislike some people might get upon immediately losing to a well-oiled or broken fleet fielded by an experienced player.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1229123/staw-allied-campaig...

The setting ( won't bore you with too many details) involves a giant spacetime event that helps explain multiple versions of unique characters as well as Mirror Universe stuff.

After a number of games where people can learn/ decide if they like the game mechanics and setting, the plan is to move on to a more classic competitive campaign for the second part. So, after the chaos settles, the galaxy is up for grabs and no more friends!

2. This second part of the campaign makes use of some modified rules made by Mr. Classicor found in a link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zA9QB7TyDs

This stage involves a star map, with fleets moving system to system and either conquering or peacefully establishing relations with various races. In short, it becomes a fairly standard battle campaign with fleets encountering each other, a STAW game ocurring, and the winner gaining a system, which are worth points at the end.

This is where I need some advice form anyone kind enough to offer it.

I have decided to let players choose the option of peaceful first contact, or a conquering new homeworlds they encounter in this second part.

This is what I have so far:

"Players may only field cards that share the FACTION symbol of your stated FACTION, with the following exception:

1.FACTION cards from homeworlds you have made peaceful first contact with, may be added to your fleet as ALLIES, meaning
a) they are subject to "friendly" language when it comes to card
effects.
b) They are added at +0 SP.
c) You cannot mix these cards cross faction in your aboard your own
ships or vice versa without the use of the Officer Exchange
Program resource.

2.FACTION cards from homeworlds you have chosen to conquer may be added to your fleet as SUBJECTS, meaning that
a) they DO NOT benefit from "friendly" card text
b) These cards cost +2 SP for Captain/ Crew/ Elite Talent upgrade, and
+1 for Ships/Tech/ Weapon upgrades.
c) They are considered "plundered" resources and may be added cross
faction aboard your own ships or vice versa.

3. FACTION cards from homeworlds you have NOT conquered or made peaceful first contact with ( but NOT cards from the other player's own FACTION) may be obtained and added to your own fleet and treated
a)under the rules of the Conquered FACTIONS above if
b)both players agree to initiate a TRADE upon both entering an
EXPLORED system.
c)Cards obtained this way are traded 1 SP: 1SP and are treated the
same as cards obtained via CONQUERING, as explained above.
d)If trade negotiations are not reached that are amenable to both
parties, a standard STAW game commences.
e)If TRADE is successful, then both players withdraw to the system
they came from, and the system the trade ocurred at is under the
rules of a CEASEFIRE for 1 turn.

My main question would be - do you think the Peaceful/ Conquered differences are balanced enough or too unbalanced to work effectively? Any suggestions on how to make it more balanced if not?

Is the 2 SP penalty too much for Crew/ Captains? My thinking was that a conquered planet would not so easily go along with their subjugators, and though tech and weapons would be more easily taken, the conquering faction's unfamiliarity with such tech would make them difficult to use still.

I was also considering adding the option of players trading to obtain these cards if they both agreed to do so upon entering a system instead of battling. The cards would be subject to all teh rules from the second Conquering section, and neither player would be able to trade cards from their own original faction in such a transaction.

Other house rules would include:

- 1 cloaked mine per Praetus ONLY
- All Stop resource in play for all players

Any advice/ criticism would be much appreciated! (EDITED FOR CONTENT)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stefano magliocchi
Italy
Grosseto
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One question: what about the Prime Directive of Federation? Normally all Fed staships contact new worlds with diplomatic actions, not with military conquest (more akin for Klingon).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bragg
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Good question. The main goal was to provide the slightest bit of limited role playing or story line element to keep people more into those sort of games interested. So we weren't going to be too strict on canon-behavior for the different factions.

That being said, the second part of the campaign where that mechanic comes into play takes place in the aftermath of "cosmic resetting" of the known galaxy where Factions are basically starting over from scratch in a universe that is sort of a combination of various timelines, mirror universes, what have you...

A case of making the story line fit the rules set I guess. But in that scenario perhaps the Federation ( or Federations?) that survived the cataclysmic event become more militant or despotic. Basically whatever the players decide will become the story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

To stay thematic and allow Federation players to work outside the prime directive have them count as secret (or not so secret) operatives of Section 31.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stefano magliocchi
Italy
Grosseto
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or a die roll on a diplomatic table. If ok, the system is Fed allied, if not the system stay neutral. Next turn you can try with a bonus on die roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bragg
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Oooh... I like the idea of incorporating Section 31. Fits thematically with the story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bragg
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
A diplomatic table could could add some good flavor. I'm going to have to see how complicated things get. Don't want to scare off the more casual gamers in the group though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.