United States
Chandler
AZ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
[This space intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
When you look up "I Spy" in the BGG database, you see that there are a lot I Spy variants out there. The composition of the I Spy pictures lends itself well to search or memory games. Apparently they capitalized on that.

The I Spy Memory game was a garage sale purchase for me. My daughter (2) has recently decided she want to "pay games!" with her daddy and I certainly couldn't let that sort of enthusiasm go unencouraged. I picked this game up because we didn't have a memory variant yet.

Note: As I review, I will look at the game from both a parent and child perspective. I'll give ratings based on each.

Components:
The box that the I Spy game is in is about four times bigger than it needed to be. The cardboard divider provided is almost useless and the tiles tend to slip around with the least excuse.
The tiles on the other hand are perfect for little children to play with. They are obviously meant to withstand little hands and feet as well as the occasional bite. The tiles are divided into two types, riddle and picture tiles. The pictures are excellent and the riddles are cute.

Instructions:
Nothing special here though they do give rules for multiple variations you can play with the tiles.

Game play:
For a memory game, the tiles have a little twist. While there are two pictures of each item, they are shown in seperate locations. An example is the old key is shown partially buried in sand on one tile and in sillouhette on the other. This can be confusing for smaller kids but also helps them make connections in another context.

The riddle game consists of reading the riddle and finding all the items mentioned in it on the cards. This can be fun with a little bit older kids than mine.

The match game is an excellent one for small children as you put out one of each picture and then flip over a tile from the other half. First one to find the other gnome/cat/safety pin get the cards.

Overall there are lots of good options for play.

Fun:
Parent:
This is a game you can leave the kids playing without worrying about choking or game destruction. The pieces are visually exciting but doing the same game over and over can wear a parent out.
Child:
Fun to look at the neat pictures. Easy to use pieces. exciting to spot/find matches.

Overall rating:
Kids can learn good things playing this game and are apt to enjoy it for many years before they get bored with it. The strong pieces make it a likely candidate to save for grandchildren too. You might just need to get another box for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always took issue with this game because it takes a game I played for free as a kid and turned it commercial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.