Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Carlson
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Splish Splash Catapult is a cute dexterity game in a small package. Player are attempting to flip (using a supplied wooden seesaw) cardboard balloon tokens onto eight round cardboard targets in the middle of the game area. (The difficulty of the game is decreased if the targets are very close together.)

On one’s turn, a player selects a balloon token (either in the starting pile or one that had missed in earlier rounds) and launches it with the seesaw. If it lands on one of the targets, the player claims it as a prize. They also claim any balloons in the play area that match the color of their launched balloon token. Play continues until all the balloons in the starting pile have been launched.

There is a modicum of strategy (try to pick balloons that will match the color of ones already lying around) but the game is mostly technique. Unfortunately, I (and my teenaged opponents) found the “catapult” to be very hard to use effectively. Basically, anyone who got their tokens to land anywhere near the targets won the game. Admittedly, our tokens were not extremely close together (which I now highly recommend) but even with a denser board the catapult is not straightforward to use.

As a family game with somewhat “random” results, it plays just fine. Gamers who want a more cutthroat game that heavily rewards technique may want to look elsewhere.

Rating: Not for me.

Review originally appearing at www.GamerDad.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.