Mat Fox
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I would like to preface this comment quickly- I am not trying to complain, be negative, or be a hater as, overall, I quite like RR games. However, after some time I am running into a lot of small things that are either (a) causing slight confusion, or (b) represent small, but consistence annoyances across RR games.

So I am having some trouble wrapping my head around increasing income in the game (more specifically the iconography). If I am correct, when you build a card with the coin symbol you increase income, which is also true when you attack a town. However, here is the confusing part (and possibly design mistake).

If you look at both the turn order track and tax action, which apparently simply grant a single coin once, they have the identical symbol to increasing income from the above mentioned actions/cards. For our first plays we were increasing income with the turn order, as the symbol is the exactly same. Is there a misprint in the rules (i.e., turn order track and tax action increases income) or did they just make the mistake of making the 'gain one coin' and 'increase income' symbols identical?

If the latter is true, I would like to mention we think this is another example of strange design mistakes or decisions in Red Raven games. After owning and playing almost the entire catalog (as I am a fan of the games overall), I am beginning to notice a consistent pattern with these sorts of small annoyances or mistakes in either the art, graphic design, or rules.

I will provide one more example to support my point- If you look at the turn order track and the tracks associated with resources, the coin symbol on the turn order represent coins that must be paid. However, on the resource tracks the exact same icon represents a "coin bonus" to be gained. With a little research and thinking it is quite easy to figure out, but these issues seem to arise in RR games over and over. Once again, I have tremendous respect for Mr. Laukat and quite like RR games, but I feel I must point these issues out in hopes that future titles will avoid these problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hinners
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the "gain 1 coin" spaces on the bidding track and player actions use incorrect iconography. It should be a "hand" symbol on the coin, not a "plus" symbol. This repeatedly confuses new players. It is not the only such inconsistency. A little disappointing considering this was the second edition of the game and a chance to really polish it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree 100% with the above comments. The benefits for building a building also have inconsistent iconography. In the same bar across the top, with no distinction made for quantity, you may see an icon for:

A Military card draw, which is thereafter gained each round,
A VP, which is gained only on scoring rounds, or
A type of Good, which is gained only once.

I suppose this is a case of Mr. Laukat, having spent 100's of hours with the game, assuming things are obvious which to a new player are anything but.

Oddly enough, this problem isn't present at all in Islebound, which came out the same year, and is a really great example of clear and consistent iconography throughout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.