Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Entry Thread for Hotel Escape
Designed for The 2017 9-card Nanogame PnP Design Contest!

Hotel Escape
# of Players: 1
Game Time: 5-10 min (depending on your AP handicap...)

Components:
[9 cards] - single sided (print twice)
[1] - Rules (working on pocketmod version...)
[3] - d6 dice- any colors are fine. -OR- 3 small cubes/markers*
[1] - cube/token/pawn/meeple/LEGO minifig...

*There are two sides- you can choose which to use when you play.

You checked in. Can you check out?

I'd like the game to be entered in:
Best Overall Game
Best Solitaire Game
Best Thematic Game (Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy, Dungeon Crawl, etc)
Best Written Rules
Most Innovative Mechanic Category

Logo:

Download Links:
Rules
https://1drv.ms/b/s!Al-7NpLwYUN9yRrta2GEXh3etYZx (These are the contest rules! I have no idea why it didn't update!!!!)

Game Components (it will only be low-ink for the contest)
https://1drv.ms/b/s!Al-7NpLwYUN9yRbtsBhfzCB5cxXn

(both should open PDF for view/download)

{EDIT 1-22-17} Reduced components and streamlined the game. New logo.
{EDIT 1-24-17} Components Ready!
{EDIT 2-7-17} New cards uploaded (same link as above)
{EDIT 2-8-17} And new version of rules are up (same link as above)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: {WIP} 2017 9-card contest: Hotel Escape (IDEA Phase)
Cool, a double Eric design! Subscribed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Eric,

Just remember you still need some graphics or a graphic image on your logo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
Hi Eric,

Just remember you still need some graphics or a graphic image on your logo.

I'm a low-art kinda guy... I'll find a flower or something. (only kinda sarcastic comment...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flann Christenson
United States
Bemidji
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
govmiller wrote:

I'm a low-art kinda guy... I'll find a flower or something. (only kinda sarcastic comment...)

Maybe a ladder out a window?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, played a few games with the current components...

A typical starting position. Notice the FLOOR die is actually NOT on the correct number...

Here's what a set up should look about like. Remember, you can set the FLOOR die to what ever number you want. It has typically taken me 5 to 7 moves to get to the Lobby Card. The thing I have to keep reminding myself is that the hallways wrap- so those BLOCKS often only take away an idea move, not the only move. (The wrapping bit is something I may think about taking out... maybe the cards can move that way, but you can't...)

And here's me on the Lobby Card...

No big deal. Plenty of PANIC left. And yes, even though the PANIC die goes down when go down a floor, it cannot go below 1 (so it would just stay) and it might just go right back up when you get off the elevator...!

And a final pic of me getting out...

Not bad- PANIC of 3. I think this particular game was about 4 minutes... It plays pretty quick once you have the system down.... And it doesn't take long to get that down...

It's been set up to basically have you win. It's just a matter of how long it takes and how close you cut it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wack
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is so much cooler than a standard meeple, if you can afford the room for it on the cards !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MJ Petrie
United States
St. Johns
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I help playtest for you? Let me know when the rules and PnP is ready.

Is this you vs the hotel type of thing? The lower your sanity the more likely that you can't escape?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetie2625 wrote:
Can I help playtest for you? Let me know when the rules and PnP is ready.

Is this you vs the hotel type of thing? The lower your sanity the more likely that you can't escape?

It's ready! Files are linked in the top post... (or should be...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't seem to spot anything in the rules to tell me where to start the meeple. Help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
I can't seem to spot anything in the rules to tell me where to start the meeple. Help?

Yeah- wasn't sure of the best place to put that. It's actually in the middle of the second page...probably not the best place, but wanted to get all the card info out of the way.

Spot 3...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules are very clear and all looks nice and puzzley. One suggestion on the rules: the bullet point that says two EXIT and two sets of Elevator buttons -- maybe you want to specify that that is in addition to the lobby card.

The other thing is that the luck of the deal seems very prominent here. Lay out the cards just right and the game is won. If I am correct, any advice on how to handle that?

Results of first playthrough are that I won within six moves. Maybe I'm missing something? Is there something that restricts my moving between floors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
Rules are very clear and all looks nice and puzzley. One suggestion on the rules: the bullet point that says two EXIT and two sets of Elevator buttons -- maybe you want to specify that that is in addition to the lobby card.

The other thing is that the luck of the deal seems very prominent here. Lay out the cards just right and the game is won. If I am correct, any advice on how to handle that?

Results of first playthrough are that I won within six moves. Maybe I'm missing something? Is there something that restricts my moving between floors?

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll peek back at the rules- but yes, there are two EXIT and two sets of elevator buttons. And one of those need to match up with their counterparts on the Lobby Card. Probably need to find a better way to say that...

After more plays (a while ago) 2 floors is good to get a start, but 4 floors should make for an okay game. And yes, if the cards favor you, getting to the elevator in 5 or 6 moves can happen. Likewise, if the cards line up after you flip them, it may only take another 5 or 6 moves to get to the EXIT.

The two things I've thought of to make it "harder" are to not wrap the edges, and eliminate the Panic reduction for going down in the elevator.

I'll come back to this once I can get a few more things worked out with my other game...

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First time providing playtest feedback, so I hope I am actually providing helpful comments. My son (12 years old) and I took the time to play the game.

Nice flavor in the rules. Engages the reader.
Graphic on the rules looks washed out.

Recommend moving the description of the "Open" rooms to the section just after the "Some things to note about the cards". It was there that you described the Exit and Blocked, then proceeded to the movement (action), but the "Open" rules was at the very end. So we forgot what the "Open" was for our first few plays.

There is not a thematic reason for the "Blocked" passageway. Graphically, it would make better sense if the passage was actually blocked (crowd of people, maid trolley station, wall, etc).

Some clarification of the movement actions may be needed. I recommend adding "of your choice" when the rules state "You will shift a card of your choice...". I would also clarify that this can be in any row and does not have to be the row or column the player is on. The graphic on the card always led us to try to execute the moment on the axis shown, but I do not think that was the intent.
If the actual move is a swap (two cards changing place), then I recommend changing the move to Swap instead of shift. At first, I figured the shift would move the entire row or column, but the lobby prevents that for its associated row and column. But the rules clearly state it only involves two cards and is "essentially swapping places."

The rule "You can manipulates the same card on successive turns" threw me off because of the word same and the only card other than the lobby card mention was the one the player is standing on. So I had to re-read it a couple of times. Perhaps a better sentence would be " Each action is performed only once, but a card may be manipulated on successive turns."

I recommend adding "from spot 7" and "from spot 4" on move rules to the lobby for clarity. "If you have lined up a set of elevator buttons on the card in spot 7 to the elevator buttons in the lobby, you can enter the lobby card from spot 7." And "If you line up the Exit in spot 4 with the Exit in the Lobby, you can enter the lobby card from spot 4."

I would also add "The Exit of the lobby is only available on the 1st floor, and can only be entered from spot 4. Likewise, only the elevator of the lobby is available above first floor and can only be enter from spot 7 on floors 2-6."

The die counter was a bit tedious to use. The movement is pretty fluid and successive. However, returning to the die to rotate to the right count over and over slowed the game down a lot.

It may be better to use a counter bar on the lobby and move the token with each move (Perhaps on a turn counter bar at the bottom of the lobby instead of the die counter). The counting of panic level in the die was much less frequent and did not slow the game down.

First play went very fast, completed in 3min, 19 sec. Second play was much tougher. 12 minutes, and hit the panic level. But I attribute it to the misunderstanding of swap/shift rules. Next play was not timed, but went quickly also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Patrick! All good suggestions...!

I originally had tracks with a cube for a counter. I went with the die since it took up less space on the card- but I'm not against going back to three tracks and three cubes. (And once the contest is over, I might make some paper squares with tracks and a standee so the game is really portable.)

Yes, the logo needs help. As I get more stuff figured out in Inkscape, I'll go back and make a better logo. I wanted one that might actually be resort hotel logo.

I like the suggestions on the wording. I've intentionally let it sit so I can come back to it with suggestions and fresher eyes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New cards uploaded!!! Uses the same link as in the original post.

Changes:
thumbsup New Logo!!!!
thumbsup Removed "BLOCK" word & replaced with hopefully better wall/arrow.
thumbsup Now TWO Lobby cards to choose from- one with dice and one with tracks- choose whichever works best!
thumbsup Added more explanatory text on cards.

Rules update coming soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Newer rules are up!!! (same link as in the OP)

Still 2 pages! (unlike my other entry...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: {WIP} 2017 9-card contest: Hotel Escape (Contest Ready Phase)
And I'm in. I'll give everything a quick double-check. Don't expect any changes, the one change I'd make I can't do in the contest. I'll wait until it's over, then make the change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Meyers
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Eric,
I have this queued up to print soon and get an authentic test (love the puzzle feel!), I had a quick question from my overview of the rules/cards.
It looks like in the current version, both exits are on card #4 and both elevator buttons are on card #7. Thus it seems it would be easy to try to move card four to spot four, and leave it (maybe needing to make a flip depending on the even/odd status of the floors) to get out easy, and to just move and leave card 7 on spot 7, so there is easy access to the buttons (it seems on some floors that you would come out into card 7 and immediately be able to go back down one floor, on the other floor you'd just need to flip that card once to get it back). Not sure if I'm missing something there. Is it better to randomize each floor (except the lobby)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
boristhebad wrote:
Eric,
I have this queued up to print soon and get an authentic test (love the puzzle feel!), I had a quick question from my overview of the rules/cards.
It looks like in the current version, both exits are on card #4 and both elevator buttons are on card #7. Thus it seems it would be easy to try to move card four to spot four, and leave it (maybe needing to make a flip depending on the even/odd status of the floors) to get out easy, and to just move and leave card 7 on spot 7, so there is easy access to the buttons (it seems on some floors that you would come out into card 7 and immediately be able to go back down one floor, on the other floor you'd just need to flip that card once to get it back). Not sure if I'm missing something there. Is it better to randomize each floor (except the lobby)?

Each floor should be randomized each time you go down. And yes, some floors may end up being easier to get through than others.

Let me know how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Meyers
United States
flag msg tools
designer
The rules make it sound like you only flip over the cards between floors, not pick them all up and randomize them; maybe what you want to happen could be better clarified in the rules. More after I get a play in....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
boristhebad wrote:
The rules make it sound like you only flip over the cards between floors, not pick them all up and randomize them; maybe what you want to happen could be better clarified in the rules. More after I get a play in....

Probably a good reason to go check my memory against what I put down...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Eric

Had a couple of plays of Hotel Escape.

I don't own any card sleeves so I simply stuck the 2 sides back to back, making sure the same numbers weren't on both sides (Minor point: if sleeves are a prerequisite of playing the game then it needs to be stated in the components, or at least an alternative solution suggested).

Rules are generally clear although I couldn't find a mention anywhere of where to start my meeple. So I went for the furthest spot from the lobby (spot 3).

I played 2 floors (learner) to start with. Made it out in 11 moves.

Then I tried 4 floors (regular). This took a couple of minutes and I was on panic level 5 when I exited. I never need to rest.

I'll try the harder 6 floor option next, but wanted to check that I played correctly:

Having got a card 7 to spot 7 in order to go down a floor, for the next floor, it will simply flip to its opposite side. There is then no reason to want to move it and the focus becomes landing on a card with a flip action to flip card 7 back to show the buttons.

I was fortunate in both games to draw card 7 close to spot 7.

So far the game was easy to complete so we'll see what awaits with the card distribution for a 6 floor game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tucky60 wrote:
Hi Eric

Had a couple of plays of Hotel Escape.

I don't own any card sleeves so I simply stuck the 2 sides back to back, making sure the same numbers weren't on both sides (Minor point: if sleeves are a prerequisite of playing the game then it needs to be stated in the components, or at least an alternative solution suggested).

Rules are generally clear although I couldn't find a mention anywhere of where to start my meeple. So I went for the furthest spot from the lobby (spot 3).

I played 2 floors (learner) to start with. Made it out in 11 moves.

Then I tried 4 floors (regular). This took a couple of minutes and I was on panic level 5 when I exited. I never need to rest.

I'll try the harder 6 floor option next, but wanted to check that I played correctly:

Having got a card 7 to spot 7 in order to go down a floor, for the next floor, it will simply flip to its opposite side. There is then no reason to want to move it and the focus becomes landing on a card with a flip action to flip card 7 back to show the buttons.

I was fortunate in both games to draw card 7 close to spot 7.

So far the game was easy to complete so we'll see what awaits with the card distribution for a 6 floor game.

Thanks Mark! Like Jason pointed out earlier, it seems what is in my head isn't exactly what is on paper. Doesn't seem to matter how many times I look at the rules on paper, I go with what's in my head. (Sleeves and starting point- I may have just assumed too much...)

And yes, it should be winnable. I haven't come across a combo of cards where I get stuck. I may have to take the "long" way around to move a card, but I always walk out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

The rules link was pointing to the WRONG set!!!! It has now been corrected!!!!! (At least I hope so...!!!!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.