R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Lets try to predict where the nation will be in 4 years re: national politics
Trump re-elected, Republicans still control house and senate
Trump re-elected, Republicans have partial control or none
Trump defeated, Republicans control house and senate
Trump defeated, Republicans have partial control or none
Trump impeached, Republicans control house and senate
Trump impeached, Republicans have partial or no control
Global Thermonuclear War / Martial Law
Other (please specify in comments)
      73 answers
Poll created by rylfrazier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious to see what people think the future holds.

Honestly I have a very hard time predicting what the American public will do in the future. I didn't think that the democratic party would nominate Hillary if she were as weak as I thought she was, so when she was nominated I just assumed there was something I had missed about her and that she would pull out a "great campaigner" hat out in the stretch but she just got weaker and weaker over time.

As far as Trump goes, he has literally no appeal to me as a candidate or a human being so it's very hard for me to predict when his popularity will wane. I have a rough basic understanding of why people like him and the many reasons why they vote for him, but it's very tough to say for sure what will happen in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, the republicans have already made clear they wont impeach him for anything as long as he plays along.

If president trump does cross them then they might.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Unfortunately, the republicans have already made clear they wont impeach him for anything as long as he plays along.

If president trump does cross them then they might.

Republicans will throw Trump under the bus as soon as he does something really stupid, then they will blame him for all of the damage they have done to the country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went "Trump defeated, republicans have partial control" just because I have some degree of hope that 1. Trump caught lighting in a bottle and won't be able to repeat against someone other than Hillary and 2. the democrats do actually gear up and fight rather than pushing up another "time served" party hack like Hillary next time around.

I still feel like the ACA and health care insurance costs cost them the election but literally nobody on either side of the aisle seems to agree with me or even really talk about it, but in terms of "thing the government did that actually effected people I know which they are either upset or happy about" it is the #1 topic.

While some of my friends are super duper happy that they can now get care for serious medical problems which they couldn't get before, a TON of my friends are pretty unhappy about how much their insurance went up in the last 8 years and blame the ACA for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly can't begin to guess where we will be four years from now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where will we be in four years?

Shantytowns.

Internment camps.

Revoked voting rights of oppressed groups.

Of course, I'm basing all this speculation on what I read here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
VOTE "moi' for "Director" of any SEXY NUDE FEMALES "Camp Internees"! "Band" sort even. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enhanced wealth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
No change because the same dumb idiots that voted for him this time will not admit (if in fact they are) worse off under him and that they made a mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snoo Py
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
I am convinced that in 4 years from now, Drumpf (aka Fuckface von Clownstick)will have made at least one major blunder on the international scene - at least as big as Bush 43 did with Iraq - which will cost us dearly.
On top of that, his economical and political isolationism, as announced in his acceptance speech, will cost us on the long term. The friendly world that allowed us to prosper is about to end.......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing trump will resign in 2-3 years, for "health reasons", but will have caused enough damage for the Republicans have partial to no control.

And by "health reasons" I mean he's fucked something up badly and/or shown enough general incompetence that the repubs force him out. He resigns to save face and keep his supporters on the repubs side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an interesting possibility that I hadn't considered. Good thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:
I'm guessing trump will resign in 2-3 years, for "health reasons", but will have caused enough damage for the Republicans have partial to no control.

And by "health reasons" I mean he's fucked something up badly and/or shown enough general incompetence that the repubs force him out. He resigns to save face and keep his supporters on the repubs side.

Unless low population red states with higher than average white strongly right wing (beyond being merely "conservative" and slipping into racist nationalism) populations are addressed in some way, republicans will continue to dominate the senate the rest of our lives. And I have no solutions for it so I expect it to continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:

I went with "Trump impeached, Republicans control house and senate"; there's no way he resigns. It will be the Republican establishment which sells him out, and it will happen before the midterm elections. That's my formal Koldfoot-approved prediction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pruitt
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump will not be re-elected. His policies will fail to achieve the desired/promised effects, disappointing his base while galvanizing his opposition.

The Republicans, unsure how to respond to and work with Trump, will appear weak and ineffectual and lose at least partial control of Congress.

Other predictions:

-If Chuck Schumer plays his cards right, he could be the next president (provided someone can be groomed to fill his shoes in the Senate). I can see Warren as his running mate (although they might choose to go with a candidate from the Midwest or West Coast).

-Donald Trump may militarize the Mexican border in the name of stopping illegal immigration and drug trafficking. He may even occupy some Mexican territory, causing an international incident (which will temporarily boost his popularity in certain circles but will ultimately weaken his and the United States' standing)

-The "Trump" will become an ironically popular hairstyle for men.

EDIT-I'm not a Democrat but this is how I think it will go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:

I don't think Trump cares if his supporters are on the Republican side. That would mean he cares about the Republicans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Martin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should list "Sleeping at the feet of the oligarchs" as a choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about the exact timing, but a war that cannot be contained erupts in North Africa and/or the Middle East as the climate destabilizes too much. Refugees try to reach Europe and collapse the EU. This causes a worldwide global economic depression.

Blue Ocean Event at the latest summer of 2018 and people start to die from cold exposure as the Arctic no longer keeps winters in check. Colder winters, hotter summers, along with overall warmer temperatures destroy crop yields and billions starve. Fish stocks are collapsed as well.

Trump will be re-elected by a landslide and Americans will wish we did build a wall on the Mexican border while we still had manageable budgets. Illegal immigration becomes the over-ridding political issue. Republicans control both house and senate as nationalism and xenophobia resurges in the wake of climate collapse. Florida, New York, and other low lying areas of the US are underwater as the Greenland and Antarctic ice melts and raises sea levels after global dimming ceases and temperatures shoot up.

More people start to realize that modern civilization will be extinct by the end of the century as we have failed to do anything about greenhouse gasses and triggered too many positive feedback loops. With the economic collapse any large scale geo-engineering efforts will not be economically possible as EROI of fossil fuels becomes non-practical. The moon shot of transiting to solar power fails due to the global depression.

But what do I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

I don't think Trump cares if his supporters are on the Republican side. That would mean he cares about the Republicans.

No, but he cares about his ego and reputation. Allowing him to step down instead of kicking him out will (Trump thinks) keep both. Doing what he can to push his supporters back to the repubs will be part of the graceful exit deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone want to start a betting pool on how long until the Pope gives some sort of mild criticism, and Trump tweets STFU?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump being a legitimate president will become an alternative fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Unless low population red states with higher than average white strongly right wing (beyond being merely "conservative" and slipping into racist nationalism) populations are addressed in some way, republicans will continue to dominate the senate the rest of our lives. And I have no solutions for it so I expect it to continue.

America (as a whole) has been winning steadily since we got out of the housing crisis. Employment, GDP, and manufacturing have all gone up, lockstep with the stock market, of course. Russia, the EU, and even China have a lot of problems; the US has remained a financial safe-haven, which has kept interest rates low--a free market signal that the US is doing well.

So why did "America's losing" sell so well? Because red state America is losing. Increased automation--and automated driving is largely a blue state product--has turned red state manufacturing jobs into blue state service jobs. Off-shoring, enabled by the GOP, has continued. Red states generally hate change, and change is still, after hundreds of years of the industrial revolution, still accelerating.

The tax cuts proposed are typical neocon, trickle down cuts: make the coastal elites richer. ACA benefits more people in red states than blue states, despite opposition; though, the only things Reps. seem certain to repeal are the aspects that make it fiscally responsible, so the deficit is going up hugely. Trump is now, in the CIA speech, coming off as an intellectual elitist.

So, the question seems to be when his followers will be disillusioned with him, not if. Obviously, the Dems will push to make it sooner, 2018 if they can. They want to be set for 2020 redistricting. Trump may be odious enough to make them stop playing nice and be as propagandist as the GOP and Trump.

Corporate donors may pay off the GOP, or they may be upset at the amount of corporate bullying Trump is willing to do. I doubt they'll like a irresponsible federal budget. The corporations have a responsibility to their shareholders, not their workers.

A wild card would be a red state hurricane hit. A Katrinaesque fiasco would push a lot of people to decide they really do want a working federal government. But, it's been a long time since a hit; it's possible we're in a new normal due to climate change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.