3 Posts

Small World Underground» Forums » Rules

Subject: What's the point of Tomb? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Bjork

Virginia
msg tools
If I understand it correctly, the ONE occasion where its attached race goes into decline, instead of typically leaving one decline-race token in each of the regions you were in, you get to redeploy all of them as desired.

So, basically if you had 6 surviving units in five regions when you decide to cut bait on that race, you could:

1) keep all six (instead of discarding one),
2)abandon a region, and
3) stack three of them in one region you don't want your opponent to get easily, and leave one token in each of the other three.

Big. Deal.

Am I missing something? If I do indeed understand the ability, this seems really lame. Maybe someone could illustrate how this would be nearly as useful as any of the other special powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
saxguy007 wrote:
If I understand it correctly, the ONE occasion where its attached race goes into decline, instead of typically leaving one decline-race token in each of the regions you were in, you get to redeploy all of them as desired.

So, basically if you had 6 surviving units in five regions when you decide to cut bait on that race, you could:

1) keep all six (instead of discarding one),
2)abandon a region, and
3) stack three of them in one region you don't want your opponent to get easily, and leave one token in each of the other three.

Big. Deal.

Am I missing something? If I do indeed understand the ability, this seems really lame. Maybe someone could illustrate how this would be nearly as useful as any of the other special powers.

Hmmmmmmmmm well okay I'll try.

Tomb is an in decline defense ability. This means that in order to really gain millage out of it you want your faction to get in decline a little sooner than normal and not stretch them to their limit.

For starters your example is kinda unfair as you described a fairly unlikely situation where the power is indeed kinda bad rather than a situation that's reflective of something likely to happen in a game. It's also worth noting that it is not correct since you cannot abandon regions during redeploy (you can only do it during "ready your troops").

So first of all the 6 units you used in your example is not realistic. Realistically you will have more in the ballpark of 11 units (adjusted for races with more/less tokens) even at the point where you you have 5/6 territories. Now this is the point where people will usually consider declining. If they have a combination that still has steam in it and maybe a few decline tokens still on the board they might decide to stick with it. In the case of Tomb, especially if it's your first race at the start of the game, this is when you want to decline.

So you decline with 6 regions and 11 tokens. You decide to equalize your defenses across your regions as evenly as you can. You are now heading into your following turn with 5 regions defense of 2 and 1 region defense of 1.

This is actually really really good. As the game goes on and the board fills up the regions most targeted at ones with in decline tokens on them. They are generally the cheapest regions to take (1 unit) and hurt opponents making them the most desirable regions to go after. Your regions however are pretty expensive. It takes 4 units to evict most of your regions. As an added bonus if someone does attack one of your stacks you get to use the surviving unit to reenforce one of your not attacked regions. Sure there might come a point where your opponents decide they cannot let you have them that much longer and attack but assuming good opponents they are unlikely to attack you very quickly

Most in decline abilities are just that. You need to make good use of them when the faction is in decline in order to really benefit from them and not keep them around too long. With Tomb it's all about declining them with a good number of regions while you still have enough tokens to make the defense in decline relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bjork

Virginia
msg tools
OK thank you.

I guess I really had to think out of the box (for me) on this one. To ditch a race a turn or two early so as to leave a well-defended legacy race makes sense now that you describe it so. I'm just used to only going in decline when I can't take over more than one territory.

I can see where this could come in handy in a 3+player game to make your legacy territories less desirable for take-over if easier targets are available. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.