Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not sure if this has been documented elsewhere, but what are the differences between the 1941 and 1942 versions? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
mikemarentette wrote:
Not sure if this has been documented elsewhere, but what are the differences between the 1941 and 1942 versions? Thanks.

Do some research.

The answers are out there. google will probably help you.

A) A lot of difference.

B) There's two 1942 games.

(41 is very slimmed down.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
1942 adds amphibious assaults, strategic bombing and new units--artillery and cruisers IIRC. For a comprehensive list download a PDF of the rule books either from BGG or on the Avalon Hill/WotC/Hasbro website. You can also view the board differences in the image galleries here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have done research and did not find out much. I have also reviewed both rule books. Thanks anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crixtey
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
consider 41 as watered down in order to be an entry level form of the game..

42 to is more the complete experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
mikemarentette wrote:

In my opinion, the main difference between 1941 (41) and 1942 Second Edition (42SE) is that 41 is the gateway or beginners edition and 42SE is the standard edition.

When compared with 41, 42SE is a richer version with more rule options (specifically: offshore bombardment during amphibious invasions, strategic bombing of factories, use of anti-aircraft guns to destroy aircraft), additional types of units (specifically, Artillery, Anti-Aircraft Guns, Cruisers, and (user-placeable) Factories), more money on the board and in players hands, a physically larger map (32.5" × 17.5" for 41, 40" × 26" for 42SE), a longer play time, and a few intangibles (e.g. 41 uses cardboard tokens to denote additional units under playing pieces, 42SE uses plastic "mini poker" chips); 41 has 4 dice of one color, 42SE has 6 dice: 3 of one color, 3 of another; etc...).

If you are looking to replicate the experience of playing the Milton Bradley Axis and Allies from the 80s, 42SE would be my recommendation.

The denoting of Second Edition is important - Axis and Allies 1942 (sans Second Edition, usually referred at First Edition as a back-formation) is a similar-but-different game with a smaller board and different pieces, rules, and set up.

When 1942 Second Edition is compared to the Axis and Allies 1940s games: Axis and Allies Europe 1940, Second Edition (Eur40SE); Axis and Allies Pacific 1040, Second Edition (Pac40SE); and the monster title you can play when you add them together - Axis and Allies Global 1940 (Glo40), you get a physically smaller game that plays in less time, is missing certain types of units (Air Bases, Mechanized Infantry, Naval Bases, and Tactical Bombers), and with fewer optional rules. I know you didn't ask, but it is a logical next question.

If that doesn't answer your question, feel free to ask more questions, so that we can answer them.

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks. I really appreciate your detailed answer rather than an answer that just tells me to go and look it up myself.

A couple of more questions if you don't mind. How many territories land and sea separately (approximately) are there in 1941 edition vs 1942 Second edition? I looked at pics of the map and there does not seem to be much difference in Europe between the two maps or maybe I didn't look carefully enough. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Forgot to add my second question. Is 4 hours (or less) playing time for 1942 Second Edirion a reasonable estimate? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have noted the map differences. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Your original question was pretty vague. When in doubt take the high road when you feel you are being slighted instead of mirroring the bad behavior. The games are 95% the same but there are tons of minor differences between the two versions that only a rule book comparison can truly cover.

mikemarentette wrote:
Forgot to add my second question. Is 4 hours (or less) playing time for 1942 Second Edirion a reasonable estimate? Thanks.

4 hours is realistic if all the players know the game. Our first few games ran 6+ hours until everyone learned the rule difference (from other versions) and strategy options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
mikemarentette wrote:
Thanks. I really appreciate your detailed answer rather than an answer that just tells me to go and look it up myself.
I am just trying to help, both you and anyone who comes looking for the answer to this question in the future.

mikemarentette wrote:
A couple of more questions if you don't mind. How many territories land and sea separately (approximately) are there in 1941 edition vs 1942 Second edition? I looked at pics of the map and there does not seem to be much difference in Europe between the two maps or maybe I didn't look carefully enough. Thanks again.
I don't know that answer to that question, and wouldn't know without counting it out for myself. I invite you to look at the images at the following axisandallies.org pages and count for yourself:
1941 - http://www.axisandallies.org/p/axis-allies-1941-preview-setu...
1942SE - http://www.axisandallies.org/p/axis-allies-1942-second-editi...

And if you're feeling particularly giving, you can share your results with us.

As a general note: if you are looking for more information about Axis & Allies in general, the fan site axisandallies.org is a good place to go for that information.

-M_R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
mikemarentette wrote:

TTM07 wrote:
4 hours is realistic if all the players know the game. Our first few games ran 6+ hours until everyone learned the rule difference (from other versions) and strategy options.

Mark's answer sounds about right to me - 4 hours is really only doable when the players are experienced at A&A, and then only when playing with victory conditions short of total victory. Even experienced A&A players would be hard-pressed to successfully invade Berlin and Tokyo or Moscow and London in 4 hours against players doing their best to prevent that.

-M_R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Based on this discussion, I have decided to sell my copy of 1941 and buy 1942 Second Edition. Thanks for the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually just made the decision to buy 1941 instead even after recently playing 1942 SE (if only for the first several turns).

All of the points made here for 1942 SE over 1941 are valid, and I would absolutely love to spend a whole afternoon/evening immersing myself in this superior version of the game. However, that is unlikely to happen anytime soon, if ever.

1941, on the other hand, is far more likely to hit the table because its time commitment is far more manageable and learning it will seem far less daunting for those I would need to teach it to. It keeps the core game intact while reducing the number of additional mechanics to keep up with (no having to explain how artillery pairs with infantry or having to remind new players how naval bombardment or strategic bombing works during the game), so teaching it will be much easier and the players are less likely to get overwhelmed with the number of pieces, territories, and special mechanics.

Most of the people I play games with prefer games that last 1-3 hours, and anything longer than that rarely gets touched. That is not to say we don't enjoy longer games. My wife and I have several beloved 4, 6, 8, or even 10-hour games on our game shelf. We simply can never find the time to play them or the people to play them with. Because of that, we try to steer clear of buying new games that aren't likely to get played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Tricorder wrote:
All of the points made here for 1942 SE over 1941 are valid, and I would absolutely love to spend a whole afternoon/evening immersing myself in this superior version of the game. However, that is unlikely to happen anytime soon, if ever.

1941, on the other hand, is far more likely to hit the table because its time commitment is far more manageable and learning it will seem far less daunting for those I would need to teach it to...

And that is a very valid point. I like to play monster games, games that go all day, when I can. And sometimes, I don't have the time to do so. The designer of the game, Larry Harris, is on record as saying that, "[Axis & Allies 1941] might end up being the most-played version of the game ever published", and the time it plays in, as opposed to other versions, is the reason why.

So, get on with your bad self, and enjoy A&A '41 when you can. The other, longer, versions will still be out there if you find yourself with time and partners to play them.

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.