Tyrants of the Underdark» Forums » Variants

Subject: Market deck options rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rondo Army-Winner
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
We have come up with a variant that is very playable and lets us use all of the four basic market decks in every game. It tends to utilize the Drow deck more heavily than the others which, IMO, lends to the flavor of the game greatly and lets the players see more of those cards in every game. It also somewhat limits the availability of (demon) cards dropping Insane Outcasts which, again IMO, tends to drag out the game but still allows for both the pollution mechanic and viewing the other demon cards (side by side with Drow, Elemental, and Dragon decks).

Here it is:
The setup changes slightly with respect to the market deck as follows:

1) Shuffle and place the Demon market cards [face down] on the market deck space. Turn the topmost card face up immediately above this market deck. Place the insane outcasts deck to the left of it.

2) Shuffle and place the Dragon market cards [face down] on the Devoured cards space. Turn the topmost card face up immediately above this market deck.

3) Shuffle and place the Elemental market cards [face down] on the Victory Points space. Turn the topmost card face up immediately above this market deck.

4) Shuffle and place the Drow market cards [face down] on the Insane Outcasts cards space. Turn the topmost three cards face up in the remaining market deck spaces (3).

5) Place the victory point tokens in a cup to the right of the market board (should not be loose on the board to begin with).

Modified rules:
The end game is triggered if any single market deck is depleted.
Market cards are replaced from their respective decks.

It has been our experience that the end game triggers become much closer (deploying last troop and depleting the Drow market deck). We also can't wait to see what the two expansion decks are going to bring but suspect for this rule variant we will exchange two of the non-Drow decks with the Aberrations and Undead decks.

Hope you enjoy this!
Cheers,
sfs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great idea!
Does it solve any particular problems u had encountered?

For example, after 10 games, im thinking promotion cards are overpowered.
Most games have been one by whoever managed to get more promotion.

Acquiring them is very luck dependent. So the game becomes very swingy, which is not what we want.
It's one of the main problems with random card deckbuilders.

Maybe you're variant allows everyone a better chance of getting promote cards? That would probably solve the problem.

Regards, Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Zalman wrote:
Great idea!

Acquiring them is very luck dependent. So the game becomes very swingy, which is not what we want.

Maybe you're variant allows everyone a better chance of getting promote cards? That would probably solve the problem.

Regards, Sal

That's common among new players. No one seems to understand how to end the game quickly, so games are long, which favors promotion-oriented decks. A deck that aims to end the game quickly by focusing on getting a lot of units out hard counters decks that focus on promotion. But sure, assume you mastered the game and it's fundamentally broken after 10 plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
That's common among new players. No one seems to understand how to end the game quickly, so games are long, which favors promotion-oriented decks. A deck that aims to end the game quickly by focusing on getting a lot of units out hard counters decks that focus on promotion.
But sure, assume you mastered the game and it's fundamentally broken after 10 plays.

Thanks for the first part of your response, a very intelligent comment, which makes sense, and a solution that i will certainly try.

As for your last sentence... less helpful.
I didnt say the game was broken. Nor that i am a master of anything.
I simply mentioned an issue we had encountered, and was enquiring on ways to solve it. This didnt necessarily need to be a change to the game.
As per your analysis, it may just need a rethink in strategy.

I guess u may have misunderstood my intent, since the original post is in variants forum.
As for the OPs variant, i like it for bringing a different style of game, not because it fixes anything i see to be problematic. Hence why i asked him.
Sorry for any misunderstanding. Although i think ur tone was a bit harsh.
Regards, Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalman wrote:
Great idea!

Regards, Sal

Shouldn't you manage this with above board and on board tactics.... I.E everyone attacks the player with the promotion cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rondo Army-Winner
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
To the question of whether this solves any particular problem or not, my answer is mostly 'no'. There were a couple of annoyance issues at best and, as noted earlier, we thought that having the heavily Drow-influenced market was appropriate for a Drow based setting. (Ok, so one annoyance was with the Demon deck as you may have guessed from my original post. There were several games where multiple cards that assigned Insane Outcasts were available from the start.)

In contrast to your statement about promoters being the general winners, we have not had that experience. We have had heavy promoters out played by controllers, assassins, and even VP queens, as well vice versa. While some are eager to get to the promote cards, other cards are just as important should you plan a different strategy, e.g., the ability to place and recall spies can greatly aid someone whose plan is to focus on Conquest or just be a pain to others aiming for board domination. Sure you still want to be able to slough off those original 'low' value cards to have a better chance of getting the 'higher' value ones on subsequent draws, so some balance is needed with regard to promotion and whatever strategy is targeted. Being able to change strategy based on what is presented in the market is one of the cool things about this game and what differentiates it for me from say, Dominion, where you have the same static kingdom decks in any one game.

Also, promotion too early in the game can be disastrous if you are not replacing your resource cards appropriately since one tends to put starter cards in their inner circle first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Many thanks Rondo, i will certainly try different strategies to counter the promotion strategy.
Regards, Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.