Subject: Game Description needs attention rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C'mon. I'm not going to pre-order an $82 game if you can't even be bothered to properly describe it.

The description here on BGG is taken directly from the Publishers website
http://www.compassgames.com/preorders/sovereign-of-the-seas.... and neither reflects well on the level of care involved. As a big fan of Stephen Newberg (especially his Seapower & the State) I'd like to lend this more support that it currently merits

Game Description says it's Area Movement, like War at Sea (second edition).
Product Description says it's 50 miles per hex.
(Havana to Cadiz is about 4,500 miles, so 90 hexes)

Game Description says 1 full size map
Product Descriptions says 2 22x34 maps

Product Description says units are Armies

Game Description says covers 1756 to 1805
Product Description says turns are Quarterly
(so, 196 turns)

Playing Time is listed as 20 hours
(so just over 6 minutes a turn)

C'mon. I'll bet you've got a better game here than you are currently describing, don't sell it short with a sloppy cut and paste from some other game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Garland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Dukes we despise, Kings we cannot be, Gamers are we!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Game Description

Agreed. Having a great box cover is not enough for me to preorder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen newberg
Canada
ladysmith
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Well, that is interesting. No idea how I go about changing things as I am not very BGG instructed and I have no way to change stuff on the Compass site at all.

OK, off the top, it is an area movement game, so no hexes at all. No idea where that came from.

Turns are yearly, not quarterly.

There are no armies, instead the game uses individually named ships which the players can then form into squadrons and fleets.

Playing time is 3-4 hours per scenario, not 20 hours. There are half a dozen scenarios, 3 of individual wars and 3 more of campaigns.

I think what might have happened is that the description of another game I am doing for them must have gotten pasted into that.

The components looks about right. A couple of maps to fit it all properly, 600+ large size rectangular counters. Rule books, aid sheets, etc.

Best,
Stephen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen newberg
Canada
ladysmith
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Looks like the two are identical. OK, I sent them an email to try to get them on it to fix things. And there is some of the art posted at the Compass site. Its here:

http://compassgames.com/index.php/preorders/sovereign-of-the...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Stephen. I think emailing Compass to get it corrected on both sites is the best way to go.

Feel free to pile on more details!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen newberg
Canada
ladysmith
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Sure. The game covers 1756 to 1805. The three wars are 1756-1762, so 7 turns, 1778-1783, so 6 turns, and 1793-1805, which is a dozen turns, but tends to have a break about the middle most games as the two sides take a time out.

It really is world wide. Each sea area indicates its prevailing wind direction for each adjacent area, which has a major movement effect. Players have ports they control which change by scenario, some of which are subject to capture during play but many are not. The navies of England, France, Spain, Holland, and Russia are all represented. Tons of optional rules are included for those that like to shift things about and/or make it more complicated. Its a mechanically easy game, but it does take a fair amount of thought to play and play well. So if everyone is deep in the beer and pretzels, you are OK, but if one of you is not, they are going to win.

I had a lot of fun in design and development on it. A number of the mechanics are unique. Figuring a way to have individually named and rated ships and leaders for such a long time span without having a counter mix of thousands was interesting, and at that we still ended up well over 600. Ships use the large size rectangle ones, by the way. Its all pretty cool. I started on it in 2011, so as seems my norm these days, its taken half a decade to get it enough to my liking that it ends up getting printed.

best, smn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Description updated to agree with Compass Game's site
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen newberg
Canada
ladysmith
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Thanks, Mike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got an email from Compass that says both, expected publication May 2017 and Q1 2017. (Hint, it's April 2017 now).

Quote:
Sovereign Of The Seas MAY RELEASE STEPHEN NEWBERG DESIGN

Sovereign Of The Seas

SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS is an uncomplicated war game centered on the naval aspects of the series of wars between England and the various European powers between 1756 and 1805 for dominance of the world’s oceans.

Expected Release: 1st Quarter 2017

Game Product page at Compass is unchanged and continues the contradiction I previous pointed out of 1 map vs 2 map sheets....

Compass is showing no interest in presenting this game in a professional light, and I correspondingly have no interest in ordering it until more information is available. If that means waiting until there are actual customer reviews (and possibly paying more than the $82 pre-order price) so be it. Right now the only attractive things about this game are the topic and the Designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Game description from the Compass website as of 7/21/14:

Quote:
SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS is an uncomplicated war game centered on the naval aspects of the series of wars between England and the various European powers between 1756 and 1805 for dominance of the world’s oceans.

The game depicts this conflict at a strategic level, with most operational and tactical details represented by fast and easy-to-play systems, rather than intricate mechanisms. The intent of the game is to provide a broad overview of the historical events while being fun to play. SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS owes its original inspiration to the game concepts of WAR AT SEA published by The Avalon Hill Game Company, a game which covered the war in the Atlantic in World War Two. SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS borrows a number of these concepts from this earlier game as a starting point, such as area movement, individual capital ships, individual leaders, battle line resolutions, and rolling sixes to hit, and then diverges significantly to reflect the sailing warship era situation.

The object of the game for the English player is to destroy the naval forces of the European Powers player and prevent them from obtaining control of vital sea areas around the world. The object of the game for the European Powers player is to escape the forces of the English player and obtain temporary sea control of vital areas to support the continental and colonial objectives of various European nations. The game uses over 650 counters, one full size map, and numerous organization cards and play aid sheets.

Product Information

Complexity: 4 out of 10
Solitaire Suitability: 7 out of 10
Time Scale: Yearly turns
Map Scale: Area
Unit Scale: individuals ship
Players: 2 or solitaire
Playing Time: 3-4 hours hours
Designer: Stephen Newberg
Components:

Two 22 X 34 inch maps
Six Countersheets – approximately 600 counter
One Rulebook
Rules and Scenario book
Player Aid Cards
Dice
One Box and Lid set

Also there now a link to the rules: https://www.compassgames.com/downloads/SOTS_Rules-Only-0.1.4...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.