Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several years ago, I got the coffin box Dust Tactics starter box.

Since then, I picked up some of the expansions via FFGs clearance sale.

I now have come to realize, at some point, new rules were released for this game.

How do I know if the expansion sets I have are for V1 or V2 rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything released by FFG is V1. Everything released by Battlefront is V2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And v3 released by Dust Studio last year as well as 2.5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankysan wrote:
Everything released by FFG is V1. Everything released by Battlefront is V2.

You're forgetting about the "revised" FFG rules that started with the smaller core box. You practically need a spreadsheet to keep track of the various permutations of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest version of the rules are available as a free download on the Dust Studio website. New cards have been made that give the current stats for all minis ever sold. With the new rules and cards, you have everything you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
V1: published by FFG. The easiest way to identify them is if the cost of the units are below or equal to "4". Mostly the original Core set, operation Cyclone and the very first few unit boxes, which were duplicates of those found in the original coffin box core set.

V1 revised: all other products published by FGG. Also includes the first few units from Battlefront: Operation Achilles box, the SSU power armours, the bunkers and a few others. Previous units required updated stat cards that was sold by FFG, though the adjustments were minor, mostly just the cost of units. The updated cost of units for revised can still be found as a pdf from FFG's website (page 14 of the Seelowe pdf).

V1.5: the three starter sets published by Battlefront. Includes a proto v2 ruleset, with stats for units that are in line with v1, but are not 100% similar. A weird set of boxes not compatible with anything else out of the box.

V2: everything else not mentionned before published by Battlefront. For all older units, requires updated unit cards for v2 that cannot be bought or found anymore.

V3: the newest set of rules. Published by... no one really. Dust Studios seems to publish it by itself. Again, all previous units require updated cards to work, which are not the same as those before.

It's a huge mess. Personally, i found v2 to be a stupid system (you're going to need to buy lots of Dust Tactics dice packs to play that one), and v3 continues to be the same as v2. V1 revised was the best version. Stick with old discounted FFG boxes and you're fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the boxes I have say FFG, but also Dust Studio.

Does this mean they are V1?

Also, how can I tell if they are V1 or V1.5?

Or is it fine to just play using V1?

I have not played the game much, but want to get back into it, so I really do not know anything.

Basically, just want to buy some more stuff, but not sure whats compatible with what. I was going to get this revised rules book on miniature market, but now not sure if I need it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The safest bet is to buy (or download) the new rules and cards. That way, everything that you have and everything that you buy will be compatible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so miniature market has the 2nd edition rulebook in stock, but only the new cards for allies in stock.

I assume there is a download somewhere for the axis cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the cards are available for download somewhere (Facebook?), but I'm not sure. I got mine from www.gametimeminiatures.com, that has all the cards, as well as a bundle pack with the rules/cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The final cards have not yet been released as PDFs, but you can find individual unit cards on the official store. The preview PDFs (that are mostly the same) can be found here: https://mega.nz/#F!OkEBFRCD!QKWiEaInmxpC2HCBMlSJ4w

For axis, the ones you want are:
AXIS_ALLCARDS.pdf
D47-BLUTKREUZ-PROOFREAD.pdf
D47-NDAK-PROOFREAD.pdf
Dust1947LuftwaffeAllCards.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see Dust 1947 stuff, whats the deal with this version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1947 is the latest version. V3 if you will. Rules are available for free on the official page (www.dust-models.com). It's very similar to V2 in play style, with some changes and additions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dust 1947 is the name for the newest version.

Ninja'd by Frankysan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im just wondering if I should just get the 1947 rulebook, then 1947 cards, as they seem available to buy.

I really dont want to have to dig through PDFs to play V2, unless axis cards are available somewhere.

This is frustrating
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
Im just wondering if I should just get the 1947 rulebook, then 1947 cards, as they seem available to buy.

I really dont want to have to dig through PDFs to play V2, unless axis cards are available somewhere.

This is frustrating

My recommendation, in that case, is to buy the bundle pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that if you are going to buy anything, it's best to go with 1947, as that's the currently supported version. Both the rules and cards are available for free as PDFs so you can read and try it before purchasing anything. Or you can play V1 with the stuff you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I go 1947 card pack, it includes new cards for everything FFG came out with?

Also, what is a good big expansion to get? As I said, I have the coffin box, then a bunch of unit expansion, but none of the larger box expansions.

Actually also have the "revised core set" as well. I assume the coffin box and revised core set mix?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Started reading through the 1947 rules and they look so much more complicated, and looks like I would have to get new dice too.

Now thinking of just staying with V1 or V1.5 if thats what the revised core set came with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You actually don't need to get the new dice. The old work fine for most situations (succeed on one symbol = crosshair, succeed on two = blank) and for the exceptions you can use normal d6.

But the rules are a bit more involved, yes. So it's up to you and the people you want to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dust 1947 cards include cards for every mini released (other than the very newest, which come with their own cards anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Siegel
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of releasing multiple army and rule books, Dust Studios has been releasing cards for the units and a new rule book.

All of the previous expansions released by FFG and Battlefront are compatible with current rules. Alternately, you can use current units with past expansions as well. It may take a little math to figure out unit costs but its quite simple.

When you compare the various updates to the rules and cards to other game systems (i.e. Warhammer's numerous books and editions, Warlord Games' Bolt Action, Flames of War), its not as horrid as everyone makes it out to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I just am wondering if what I have now works with V1.5 or not.

The boxes have both Dust Studios and FFG on them.

I understand I can make them work, but want to know what version they are meant to be played with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
I guess I just am wondering if what I have now works with V1.5 or not.

The boxes have both Dust Studios and FFG on them.

I understand I can make them work, but want to know what version they are meant to be played with.

what you have is a mix of v1 and v1 revised.
You don't have v1.5 (this is only the three starters published by Baytlefront).
If your boxes all say FFG, that's all you have.

Just play the ruleset you have and for those units you have which shows a cost of 4 or less, go check their revised cost in the Seelowe pdf page 14.

That's all you need.

or go þhrough the hassle of playing v3 (aka 1947), printing a whole bunch of unit cards...
but 47 is the worst ruleset yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, that is good to know!

Then yeah, if all I have is V1 dont see a reason to change to the newer versions.

I have no intention of really buying any of the new stuff, just buying more of the old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.