Subject: Geek of the Week #590 : Brandon Nall (Empulsive) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
"Landry" Lieve
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone, my time as Geek of the Week is up, time to announce the new one! His name is Brandon Nall:

Brandon Nall
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Our paths crossed a few months ago on the Pay it Forward First list, where I helped him get a few harder to get games by sending him a care package from Belgium (I love helping out). We talked a bit and I found out that he is doing his own board game podcast, the Brawlin' Brothers Boardgaming podcast. Listened to a few episodes since then and learned that he has quite a bit to say, about life, about board games, about gaming with his family, about whisky, about food. He also spreads the BGG love on the forums and through other social media so in my opinion he is a perfect BGG Geek of the week, with a lot of interesting stories to tell.

An introduction as written by the man himself:

Empulsive wrote:
WOW! This is a huge honor and an amazing privilege! Thank you so much for Geek of the Week nomination, Lieve… I take my geekiness very seriously and this is complete validation.

Now you get to read all about me – where to begin?? I am a 37 year old business owner, from sunny New Mexico. I cut my teeth in the video game industry, with 11 years of work and countless amazing projects. 5 years ago I decided I was sick of “working for the man” and left my very secure position to set out on ADVENTURE (sort of like Frodo, but without the ring) – starting my own Web Design business. Thanks to my work in the video game industry, my hobby was playing video games… LOTS of online games. At some point during this “adventure” I realized that video games were lacking something. The HUMAN ELEMENT was what I really craved - I had to figure out how to satisfy my competitive side WHILE including face to face interaction… Enter board games. Wow – what a monumental discovery for me!

This “discovery” started slowly with the typical fair – Catan, Munchkin, Ticket to Ride…. From there I took a big leap and bought a (what I thought was a very expensive) copy of Zombicide. I was certain there was no way it could live up to the price tag, but boy was I wrong. I thought that this was as good as boardgames could get and I figured I’d never find anything better. Until the first time I fell in love with a euro – Castles of Burgundy blew my mind! Still a top 10 game for me, this game was single handedly responsible for introducing me to the WIDE world of gaming and helped me understand that theme isn’t everything.

My group’s love of gaming continued to grow and festered into us hosting monthly events in the community. Most of these events ended being 40-50 attendees! I love introducing people to and teaching games - this was the ultimate platform to take advantage of that. 6 or 8 months into these monthly events, I got the itch to do something more for the community. For some strange reason putting together a podcast seemed like a good idea. I partnered up with one of the other organizers of these events and we set out to make the most wild and crazy Board Game Podcast that we possibly could.

Enter Brawling Brothers Boardgaming Podcast. Some 16 months, 35 episodes and hundreds of hours of recording time later my little show has turned into something special. Thousands of listeners from 50+ countries - Men and women of varying race, religion and creed – all coming together to listen to whatever we decide to talk about (its not always board games). This has become a labor of love, and I'm continually humbled by the response we get! I’m always tickled to get a message or a post on the Brawling Brothers Guild from someone saying “Thanks for the XYZ segment, it made my 75 minute commute so much better” or “You guys got me through my workout this morning, thanks for keeping me company” or "I'm going through a nasty divorce and I've binged 40+ episodes in the last 3 weeks, thanks for keeping me company". Flattering and fueling. I love this community and my involvement in it just makes me want to do more and more.

Now, what do you all want to know about ME?!

And then of course, the tradition of 2 truths and 1 lie, can you figure it out?

Poll
Can you spot the lie?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I spent 12 consecutive hours with Uwe Rosenberg during the design process of Fields of Arle.
58.9% 56
Brawling Brothers Boardgaming Podcast will be the first podcast to have a full length review of Gloomhaven.
20.0% 19
I'm a contract employee for NFL Films and work on the field 4-8 games a year, capturing the amazing sport for future generations to enjoy.
21.1% 20
Voters 95
This poll is now closed.   95 answers
Poll created by elephantgirl
Closes: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:00 am

Enjoy your week in the spotlight, Brandon!

And now, a few easy questions from me to start you off:

1 Which 3 places would you like to visit in your life and why?
2 Have you played solo games? If so, did you enjoy it? Why/why not?
3 Favorite recent movie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Brandon!
Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Brandon!

I've been listening to your podcast since November. You and Josh are like the morning show of board game podcasts. Here are my three questions:

What is the best game you have ever only played once?

What is the best game you have ever only played twice?

What is the best game you have ever only played three times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Carnelaine
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grats Brandon! What is the #1 game you haven't yet played but want to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Brandon, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Brandon. Have a great week!

What is your favorite spaceship? And why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, awesome, awesome. Congrats Brandon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 What are your opinions or memories of playing Risk?
4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?
5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?
6 As someone who has done a smattering of web design myself, what game reminds you most of designing a website?

I thank you for your time. thumbsup cool

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Nall
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elephantgirl wrote:

1 Which 3 places would you like to visit in your life and why?
2 Have you played solo games? If so, did you enjoy it? Why/why not?
3 Favorite recent movie?

1 I LOVE to travel and have a HUGE list of places I'd like to visit. The very top of that list is Egypt,I'm completely fascinated by ancient egyptian culture and one of my bucket list items is to see the pyramids. I'd also love to go to Ireland (heritage) and Japan (unbelievable culture).

2 Funny you ask this. We actually discussed it on the show last week! My favorite part of gaming is the social aspect... This has slowed my interest in Solo Games However, in the last year I've made friends with Travis from Low Player Count. My relationship with Travis has definitely bolstered my interest in solo games. In the last 6 months I've enjoyed many solo plays of Terraforming Mars, A Feast for Odin and Scythe. I'm currently knee deep in (solo) Arkham Horror: The Card Game and its really, really great!

3 Recent... Thats a challenge. I absolutely loved the humor in Deadpool. I've laughed so many times at that movie! My favorite movie or all time is Gladiator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Nall
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?

A great question!!! I initially thought Gandalf... But everyone picks Gandalf, right?!

What about Rand al'Thor from Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series? Such an amazing character with unmatched strength and power! I love that Jordan allows us to experience Rand's journey to discover his true power... From a scared boy to a mighty wizard, the Dragon Reborn!

What we need is a great Wheel of Time game. Maybe an All vs One type game. Oooo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Nall
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jrtolf wrote:
Congratulations, Brandon!

I've been listening to your podcast since November. You and Josh are like the morning show of board game podcasts. Here are my three questions:

What is the best game you have ever only played once?

What is the best game you have ever only played twice?

What is the best game you have ever only played three times?

Thanks so much for the HUGE compliment! If I had to describe our show to someone in just a few words, I would definitely call us the "Morning Show of Board Games"... So great to know that others think of us the same. THANK YOU!!

1 Food Chain Magnate - My mind was pretty much blown by this. Its unfortunate that its so heavy, because it really requires the right group. I'm determined to get it to the table a few times this year. So much exploration to be enjoyed!

2 Glass Road - I LOVE me some Uwe and this is an excellent design. I have to make more time to play this!

3 Endeavor - This is a really great game that was somewhat of a Grail Game for me until I found a copy late in 2015. Excellent game that I need to get more plays in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Donohue
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
Kneel puny Doomtrooper before the might of the Ezoghoul!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Brandon!

1) If you could completely forget a game and experience it all over again for the first time, what would it be?

2) Do you have a favorite fictional robot?

3) If you and Josh had to face off against another podcast in a "You Got Served" style b-boy dance contest, who would you go up against?

4) If you were a pro wrestler, what would your finishing move be called?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burk
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut.
badge
These colonial marines are some very tough hombres
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Brandon! Enjoy your week!

What's the longest game you've ever played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Brandon! You guys are some of my favorites.

Question: which wargame are we playing at HeavyCon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Nall
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Melancholie wrote:
Grats Brandon! What is the #1 game you haven't yet played but want to?

This is pretty easy for me... My love for Uwe Rosenberg games is well documented, and I think The Colonists has some pieces of it that are very Uwe.... I really, really, REALLY want to get my hands on a copy of this and play the heck out of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Nall
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Jocab wrote:
Congratulations Brandon. Have a great week!

What is your favorite spaceship? And why?

That honor would go to the SSV Normandy (Mass Effect). I'm falling back on my videogame background a bit here, but I can't think of a better ship. The SSV Normandy saved ALL LIFE in the known universe from destruction by the Reapers. Boasting a Tantalus drive core, this ship has cutting edge stealth technology, is fast AND quiet! I've also personally spent many, MANY hours of my life wandering around this incredible ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Nall
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
midnight_reaper wrote:
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 What are your opinions or memories of playing Risk?
4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?
5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?
6 As someone who has done a smattering of web design myself, what game reminds you most of designing a website?

I thank you for your time. thumbsup cool

-M_R

1 Honestly, I really am not a fan of war games.... There is just something about the traditional theme of war that rubs me wrong. I've never really put my finger on it, but it just doesn't call to me.

2 I've heard many say that Star Wars: Rebellion is really just a cleverly themed war game. I'm sure we could start a WHOLE THREAD debating this, but I absolutely love this game so if there is any part of it that is "wargamish" then count this as my vote!

3 Risk was a game that we played countless, COUNTLESS hours of in the 80's. I have very fond memories of playing with my Uncle and friends around the holidays. I haven't played it in probably 25 years, but I'm still sure that controlling Australia is of value!

4 Confession time here - I've never actually played Axis & Allies! My podcast parter, Josh, lists this as a top 10 game for him. He absolutely loves it and has spent many, many drunken interludes trying to convince me how much I'd love it. Again, the theme is hard to swallow, but I think I'd like the dice chucking! I owe it to him to at least try it.

5 This is an easy one for me! Crokinole is one of the oldest games on BGG, and should be revered as one of the best! The only perfect 10 I've ever given in BGG rankings... EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE should have a Crokinole board sitting around to introduce people to boardgaming.

6 Now THIS is a great question! I thought on this all afternoon, and I think I have a creative answer that well describes this creative industry - La Boca is my answer! In this game both people have to try to build a structure on a board with a shared number of cubes, not knowing what the other person is building.... This is all complicated by a timer ticking down! Nothing represents the trials and tribulations of attempting to understand what a client wants and HOPING you are building exactly that, as much as La Boca.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin V
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You're gonna have to get through me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Three weeks in a row of knowing the geek of the week!! So that means more random questions:

We all know you like talking about food, so what is the strangest food you have eaten?

Do you like hot (spicy) food?

Fantasy or Sci-fi?

How is your RPG group doing?

Was that the first time you played a RPG?

What was your favourite online video game?

Oh and congrats!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Brandon and enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo B.
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
All right. Then, fine. The title is "Cheese Song". Eh-hem. Hn... Here I go:
badge
Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Brandon!

Here's my usual questions:
What's the weirdest thing that's happened while you were playing?
What's your favorite comic/manga (if you have one)?
If you could have one superpower what would it be?

Thanks!
Enjoy your week! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Sklar
United States
Toms River
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandon,

Congrats on your awesome week! Was hoping to finally meet you and your partner at HeavyCon this year, but "the man" so far has denied my vacation time. Will still try my best to get there!

Can you give me a Grumpy Gramps update? Has there been any contact lately?

Erick
@Gralem02
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandon,

Congrats! You honestly deserve this amazing recognition for all that you do for the community...from lugging thousands of boxes at Scythe during a convention to having to sit with Josh in War Room Studio B several times a month.

Now, onto the questions...

1.) If stranded on a desert island, what three games what you most want to have?
2.) On that island, who would you want to join you (it's suddenly not as deserted) [up to two others]?
3.) What was, in your opinion, the greatest NFL game of all time?

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor King
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Congratulations Brandon the Geek! I would like to know your favorite wizard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Congrats! Enjoy a week of good gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarfs are not Happy
mbmbmb
Cool, I've been looking for a new podcast to check out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.