Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vadim Deylgat
Belgium
Melle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played quite a few deck builders, one of the things I instinctively try to do is thin out my deck. Yet I feel that this game doesn't really allow for that to happen, nor does it seem necessary to win. There are some cards that let you destroy other cards, but in the games I've played so far, I think the most a single player had destroyed was 4 cards. In the games we've won, I haven't seen a lot of card destruction. Maybe it has to do with the fact that you have more control over the way your discard pile is formed and thus your next hand? I would love to hear other views on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
Initially I was missing methods of sliming one's deck as well, but the game really does not need this effect that much. One reason is tat you do not buy that many cards (paying for charges and manipulation of breaches), the other reason is that you have much more deck control.

Having said that I still like to acquire cards that allow me to slim my deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a slim deck is fine, but the fact that there are Nemesis cards that force you to discard cards, destroy card, or that allow you to discard cards so that you don't trigger something bad, doesn't entice destroying too much either. Having an 8 card deck is great and fun, but it makes reacting to the cards I mentioned above quite painful. As such, finding the right balance is essential.

As the person above me mentioned, you also don't buy that many cards either. My last game was against Prince of Gluttons, and there were two cards that would let you destroy other cards. As a result, both my characters' deck were very slim, since the Prince doesn't let you buy that many cards, as the more cards you buy, the closer you are to losing, and I focused my efforts mostly on opening breaches and buying charges (one of my spells requiring me to pay a charge to deal 2 more damages.) I also had the spell that deals 3 damage per card discarded, and you don't want to discard anything other than crystals and sparks to that one, as well as the gem that gives you +2 aether if you put a card on top of your deck.

Culling is always fine, but a deckbuilding game where it is required is poorly designed in my opinion. It never feels necessary in Aeon's End, even though I will always try to destroy cards if given the option. And that is partly why I like randomizing the market cards better: it forces me not to choose cards that destroy other cards

Overall, the game is designed in such a way that there are situations where you simply are better off not destroying cards at all, with some market set-ups being weaker with a slim deck full of powerful cards. And I like that a lot.

You can try going in any direction you want: heavy on charge, full-on damage, breach-focusing extravangaza, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always found thinning our decks to be a good thing. There are very few cases were I'd rather want any of the starter cards than one of the cards I've bought. Getting rid of the starter cards means I'll play the good cards more often.
We've had a few games where one player's decks were down to about 6-8 cards. Two hands of spells cycled.

We've started playing against Crooked mask on increased difficulty. This is probably the only case where I'm not sure if I should thin my deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryin
United States
Paris
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

My last game was against Prince of Gluttons, and there were two cards that would let you destroy other cards. As a result, both my characters' deck were very slim, since the Prince doesn't let you buy that many cards, as the more cards you buy, the closer you are to losing,

If I remember right, you can buy the cards that the Prince of Gluttons 'eats', so then you don't thin out the cards to buy in the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thinning in Aeon's End can be as useful of a tool as in other deck-builders, but it's much more situational (where it's almost always done when available in other deck-builders). The main thing is that you have to understand when it's appropriate to use it.

In Aeon's End, since you control your deck, it's much less necessary to think for reliability. You can better set up your discard to control what you draw, so if you plan things out, you can more reliably get good cards together and make good purchases.

However, even without deck thinning for reliability, the other thing deck-thinning provides is speed. If you only have a few high-value cards, then you'll want to be able to get them out and use them more often. You only need 2 turns to get through a 10-card deck, no matter how good or bad its contents are. This is compared to a non-thinning deck, which can often lead to 15-20 card decks, requiring 3-4 turns to get cards out - more for spells, which also take a turn to set up and cast.

Deck-thinning definitely has its place - it's just necessary to find the right timing to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometime into development, I observed how little deck building you do in Aeon's End compared to other games. The monstrous decks of Dominion where the game is full of curses, copper gain, etc... just don't exist here.

Since deck thinning is such a consistent strategy in deck builders, I found it very interesting when there are more rewards for not doing so.

One of the design goals in the new stand-alone expansion are more incentives for players to have larger decks. There are a few player cards that do interesting things with discard piles, and a nemesis that encourages a larger deck as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
klakak wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

My last game was against Prince of Gluttons, and there were two cards that would let you destroy other cards. As a result, both my characters' deck were very slim, since the Prince doesn't let you buy that many cards, as the more cards you buy, the closer you are to losing,

If I remember right, you can buy the cards that the Prince of Gluttons 'eats', so then you don't thin out the cards to buy in the market.

You can, but the card on top of its pile often is not what you're after, so you would benefit from buying charges and focusing breaches more At least my characters, Adelheim and Kadir, did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Deylgat
Belgium
Melle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qxc0 wrote:
Sometime into development, I observed how little deck building you do in Aeon's End compared to other games. The monstrous decks of Dominion where the game is full of curses, copper gain, etc... just don't exist here.

Since deck thinning is such a consistent strategy in deck builders, I found it very interesting when there are more rewards for not doing so.

One of the design goals in the new stand-alone expansion are more incentives for players to have larger decks. There are a few player cards that do interesting things with discard piles, and a nemesis that encourages a larger deck as well.

You really have to stop teasing us like this Kevin, I'm already dreaming of all the stuff that the expansion will add in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Midav8 wrote:
qxc0 wrote:

You really have to stop teasing us like this Kevin, I'm already dreaming of all the stuff that the expansion will add in the future.

I'm not at liberty to say anything more for now. Ever so soon, more information will be available
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qxc0 wrote:

I'm not at liberty to say anything more for now. Ever so soon, more information will be available

Yes, yes -- and our definition of "soon" may not be the same as yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.