Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Conan» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Pict Village: How to win (heroes) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
I've played the pict village (scenario 1) 3 times now, and each time the overlord managed to win with ease. I wonder if we are doing something terribly wrong as heroes.

I would like some descriptions about how the heroes have won this scenario and what strategies they used. Or do other people have the same experience that the overlord always wins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it once, but I think it's important to kill Zogar Sag asap. The Picts are mostly not a threat, but they can bog down the efforts to reach Zogar if you let them form up around him. Add the snake in the mix and it becomes to hard to finish him late.

So start with him and then search huts as fast as possible. Probably avoid the snake unless absolutely necessary: it takes more resources to kill him, which wastes your time and the turn limit is your enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zsolt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The heroes can win this, the trick is for them to manage their gems. Hadrathus is best used to find the princess, while Conan heads to Zogar. The OL will generally use the snake to try and block Conan meaning Conan needs to kill the snake. Shevatas meanwhile cannot be blocked so he is great for doing some exploring and killing minions while Conan is held up by the snake. Shevatas can also attempt to kill Zogar but can fail with bad dice rolls.

However it does seem surprising that the OL wins easily. I am concerned that maybe you are doing something incorrectly regarding rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Same as the above:
Rush Zogar.

But rushing the Serpent can be a better option, depending on the OL strategy: If the OL puts the serpent in the same hut as the princess ("dirty", but valid strategy. And that some call "unwinnable for heroes"), killing the serpent first is generally the way to go.

And of course, in any case you have to make optimal use of each hero's abilities.

PS: An extra trick for heroes ("dirty" but valid too) is to pass Conan's axe between melee heroes when dealing with bosses. It costs a gem, but sometimes the extra damage is worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zsolt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually putting the snake in with the princess is not necessarily the best strategy for the OL. It means the snake is unable to be used for blocking, which is one of it's major strengths, and gives the heroes an easier run in killing Zogar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Footballzs wrote:
Actually putting the snake in with the princess is not necessarily the best strategy for the OL. It means the snake is unable to be used for blocking, which is one of it's major strengths, and gives the heroes an easier run in killing Zogar.

Indeed! However, many people are adamant that this strategy makes it unwinnable for the heroes. Which is wrong .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The line of best fit for the OL is to put the princess in the bottom stone hut (near Hadrathus) and in the first turn park the snake outside the hut. This causes the 2 targets for Conan to be at opposite ends of the board (and in stone huts).
Hadrathus cannot teleport with the princess,Shevatas cannot evade with her and Conan cannot wall wreck the hut; this means they HAVE to kill the snake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lasse Kleemola
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shevatas will first make a run towards Zogar Sag and make an all-out attack. This will hopefully force the OL to spend some gems on defence already.

Unless the Overlord plays incredibly badly, at some point Conan practically has to kill the snake. Therefore, bumrushing it early is a valid tactic - this also gives you the benefit of the first strike on it. Belit can kill the lone Pict Warrior blocking the way, Conan smashes in the wall of the snake hut, Belit follows him in and Conan makes an all-out attack, Belit giving him a free reroll. Hopefully, OL will now have to spend even more gems.

If the princess was not in the snake hut or Zogar's hut, Hadrathus will now scout the hut in front of him. If she's not there either, Hadrathus can teleport to the bottom right hut. That should be the most likely locations covered (unless the OL has dared to try a double-bluff and placed the princess in one of the "easy" huts, trusting that the heroes won't even look there).

An alternative approach is to use Conan and Belit to clear the two leftmost huts of those pesky hyenas and Pict Hunters on the first turn, though this leaves the snake free to move to a blocking position on the Overlord's turn.

Yet another option is to have Belit accompany Shevatas. Whatever you do, you should always keep her around one of the other characters due to her giving them one free reroll per action in the same area. Also, on her own, she won't survive for long due to her poor Defence (yellow instead of orange dice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zsolt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If playing the OL I usually move the snake to block Conan from entering the stone hut with Zogar. Conan will kill the Snake but it will cost him a few gems and force him to rest at some stage. Shevatas can go in and attempt to kill Zogar but it may take a couple of turns.

Meanwhile it is a bit of luck if Hadrathus finds the Proncess and he may use up quite a few of his gems doing so.

As OL I reinforce the pict warriors before hunters because of their blocking ability, that is handy as it holds the heroes up and forces them to use gems to attack.

It usually goes down to the wire for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This scenario is not called unwinable because of the snake to block the princess. It is called unwinable because the OL can just spend his whole gemes to defend Zogar and move the snake to block the path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Grollmus
United States
Liberty Township
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Footballzs wrote:

Please explain. How does having the princess in the hut make the snake unable to be used for blocking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zsolt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I mean that the snake needs to stay with the princess and can't move around which allows the heroes to move freely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Grollmus
United States
Liberty Township
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Footballzs wrote:
I mean that the snake needs to stay with the princess and can't move around which allows the heroes to move freely.

Gotcha, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.