Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Hoping I can get a couple of play tests in with a quick review, the games link in the database is below. Thanks in advance!

Sapos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reyalicea wrote:
Hi guys,

Hoping I can get a couple of play tests in with a quick review, the games link in the database is below. Thanks in advance!

Sapos

What do you mean by playing on a "7x7 board on the points":
This: Or:
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+-+
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Since on the points and on the squares (on a one space larger board) are functionally equivalent. And since most people already own an 8x8 square board...

Second: starting location for white was d9 & e9--how is that possible even the 8x8 board? Even worse, Black appears to have his four starting pieces in a square and Whites are separated into 2 piece groups.

Third: It seems like the game will be drawish if the players choose not to engage each other. And it seems likely that a player who jumps himself will have an opportunity to place his baby is place where another jump can occur next turn. And since capturing puts pieces back in the opponent's reserve....

So it seems a player could only lose by placing all of his pieces on the board having no available captures and not being allowed to jump his own pieces, because he has no reserves. (Is jumping your own pieces allowed without placing a baby?)

Maybe obligatory captures and the elimination of captured pieces may be necessary to make this game work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyleara .
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I understood it is that you don't add a new stone after every single jump, you only add one after a turn/sequence of jumps. In this way, the board doesn't fill up nearly so quickly.

I believe the d9 & e9 are typographical errors meant to be d7 & e7, but we'll have to wait for a response from OP.

And I think you're right about the 8x8 board, if you look at the picture, that's what I see..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyleara wrote:
The way I understood it is that you don't add a new stone after every single jump, you only add one after a turn/sequence of jumps. In this way, the board doesn't fill up nearly so quickly.

That doesn't really matter--it still adds one stone every turn that you do not capture an opposing piece.

Nowhere directly do the rules say that multiple non-capturing jumps can be made (It only says "multiple captures" in move that where both friendly and enemy pieces are jumped.) It also you "must do one of the following" on the move at the very top. That's a contradiction in the rules.

It sounds the rules should be:
- Each turn a player must make one or more jumps with one of his pieces.
- Each jump must be in an orthogonal direction over one friendly or enemy piece into a vacant space directly after the jumped piece. The jumping piece may change direction between jumps.
- An enemy piece is removed from the board and returned to the owner's reserves. (Question: Also is this immediately after the jump or at the end of the turn--this can make a difference (For example: Given XOX, player O can capture both X pieces if captured pieces are NOT immediately removed. He does this by jumping over the left piece and the going 2 jumps to the right.))
- If no enemy pieces are jumped, a piece from the reserves is placed in a vacant adjacent space to the final position of the jumping piece. (What happens if that is not possible? Possibly jumping over a friendly piece into a corner, with the other possible space also occupied.)

I repeat frequently on BGG--Rules writing is HARD!!!!

Quote:
I believe the d9 & e9 are typographical errors meant to be d7 & e7, but we'll have to wait for a response from OP.

I realize that English may not be the OP's native language, but mistaking a numeral is a language independent error.

It still seems that if the players don't engage, the game will be very drawish. And if captures aren't compulsory, you can't force engagement. Also replenishing the opponent's reserve may mean the game never reaches a conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, thank you Richard for pointing out my glaring mistake on the starting positons and you can simply play on the spaces of an 8x8 using a set of checkers

Quote:
I repeat frequently on BGG--Rules writing is HARD!!!!

I agree, and would you mind me using your clarifications instead of my unintelligible nonsense for the rules

Quote:
Each turn a player must make one or more jumps with one of his pieces.
- Each jump must be in an orthogonal direction over one friendly or enemy piece into a vacant space directly after the jumped piece. The jumping piece may change direction between jumps.
- An enemy piece is removed from the board and returned to the owner's reserves.

Yes this is correct!

Quote:
(Question: Also is this immediately after the jump or at the end of the turn--this can make a difference (For example: Given XOX, player O can capture both X pieces if captured pieces are NOT immediately removed. He does this by jumping over the left piece and the going 2 jumps to the right.))

Remove immediately after the jump in your example.

Quote:
- If no enemy pieces are jumped, a piece from the reserves is placed in a vacant adjacent space to the final position of the jumping piece.

This is also correct

Quote:
(What happens if that is not possible? Possibly jumping over a friendly piece into a corner, with the other possible space also occupied.)

If you are unable to capture or add a friendly piece because you are unable to like you described above or you run out of pieces in your reserve you lose

Quote:
It still seems that if the players don't engage, the game will be very drawish. And if captures aren't compulsory, you can't force engagement. Also replenishing the opponent's reserve may mean the game never reaches a conclusion.

Of the games I have played I have yet to see a draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sapos (frogs in Spanish) is a game for 2 players
15 - 20 minutes play time, for ages 8+

Materials
8x8 board
32 pieces in two colors, 16 pieces of one color, and 16 pieces of another color

Object
Player last to move wins.

Setup
The game is played on the spaces of an 8x8 board that starts out with 4 pieces of one color placed on the points d2, d3,e2,e3 and 4 pieces of another color are placed on d6,d7,e6,e7. The remaining 24 pieces are held in a player's respective reserves.

Play
Choose a player to move first and then the second player will move twice only on her first turn, thereafter turns alternate.

Each turn a player must make one or more jumps with one of his pieces.

Each jump must be in an orthogonal direction over one friendly or enemy piece into a vacant space directly after the jumped piece. The jumping piece may change direction between jumps.

Clarifications
An enemy piece is removed from the board immediately after a jump and returned to the owner's reserve.

You may not add a piece from your reserve if on the same turn you have captured an enemy piece

If no enemy pieces are jumped, a piece from a player’s reserve is placed in a vacant orthogonal adjacent space to the final position of the jumping piece.

End of game
The game ends when a player is unable to take his turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyleara .
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job getting the rules all sorted out thumbsup

We played this last night We don't usually play abstract games much, but we appreciated that even the longer games of Sapos were still reasonably short so we were able to play several rounds and had time for other games too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Giles
United Kingdom
Dorset, England
flag msg tools
designer
I've made a simple local mod for this game so I can play it on TTS with my brother online.

You can download it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B27ysevhpB7jNVFxRm5yN1FfMXc....

Go to the TTS saves folder. (For Windows this is Documents > My Games . Tabletop Simulator > Saves.) Rename the file to TS_Save_n.json (change "n" to a number not already taken), and put it in that folder. It should now appear in the "saved games" within TTS and let you load it in.

Includes the rules, initial setup, and bowls with the extra pawns in.

I hope other playtesters will find it easier to get started with this mod. If you want me to remove this file, I can take it down ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool sir, I'll try this out over the weekend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one thing, the start positions are wrong in TTS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.