Friedrich» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Don't lose hope! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Mac
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Interesting 1st game of the year yesterday with Andrew (Prussia/Hannover) and new player Vicky (Austria/IA). I played France & Russia/Sweden.

Andrew had terrible luck with the CoF - Poems 2nd draw and no opponent cards before I won with Russia at the end of turn 14. (Elizabeth was last card in the deck.)

Andrew gave up E Prussia early but after one battle in the W clubs sector, Russia had no clubs and so decamped to cause some havoc around Berlin.

France attacked Prussia around Magdeburg early on and, having got the Saxony objectives, Austria had some big diamonds battles with Prussia in Silesia. Hildi also had a few fights, including one that drew some Russian clubs. Andrew used about 3 reserves over time, which the Russians picked up.

Having eventually picked up a few clubs (as well as 8 objectives), Russia returned to 14 v 6 battles in the W clubs sector around turn 10/11. Then, in turn 13, lucky Russia picked up about 40 points in clubs in one draw. I got a 3 way surround using a 3rd general and a supply train and went all in, playing the 3 reserves for 10 points each (Andrew still had 2). I won by 1 point!!! Gained the 9th objective and Andrew wasn't close enough to stop me getting the 10th on Turn 14.

It shows that, no matter how bad your hand, you shouldn't give up hope as the cards can turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha canna tell him much
mbmbmbmbmb
2624johnm wrote:
It shows that, no matter how bad your hand, you shouldn't give up hope as the cards can turn.

I agree - you must keep trying. After all your opponent may be bluffing, or make a mistake (perhaps I could have noticed a surround was possible - perhaps it was inevitable) or one of the minor events will give you the opening you need.

Sure you might lose, but you won't win by sitting on your arse!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Atkinson
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never give up. The first rule of Friedrich.

So, Poems and Lord Bute have come out and you’re drawing only four cards to Maria Theresa’s five? Well, this time you’re just going to have to win without having twice eliminated that 20-odd Austria triple stack.

Dohna is entrenched in Kammin and you only have the five of clubs? Maybe manoeuvring aggressively will winkle him out. Or you can just attack head on and hope for an acceptable retreat. Sure as eggs, you won’t win if you just sit on your hands.

You’ve blown all your hearts and Magdeburg is now nigh on impregnable for the time being? You can bet your bottom dollar the Prussians won’t be at all happy when you get to Saxony to unravel the defence in diamonds. Worth it just to see the look on Friedrich’s face.

It’s turn seven and your lonely Swedes are bereft of Russian support? No worries. Bide your time and look for openings. Just one Prussian oversight may be enough to let you pinch a cheeky victory.

Never give up, but maybe reconsider the best road to victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.