Subject: Mission 3, rules. Spoilers I guess rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
Sweden
Västerås
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi! We just now played the game for the first time and really enjoyed it. However, we did get stuck on Mission 3 and I guess we may have some rule wrong. It seems like the mission is on a very tight timer.
The boss has four slots for cards, and you add one card per turn. We got unlucky and had level two green early and then pulled two green cards the next turn to lose the game. We got a total of 0 damage on the boss. It was easy enough to open the runes but we never got into range to attack the boss. The randomness from the boss cards and damage cards made it so that our mechs hugged the walls and kept rotating on the spot. And even in the best case one only has nine (four stacks, two cards per stack + one final round) rounds to get 10 damage in. This is quite short to get the mech moving in a controlled manner and get proper damage cards into attack range.

Perhaps we have missunderstood something about the speed of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco van Barneveld
Netherlands
EDE GLD
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By your description it seems your read the rule just fine, but got very unlucky with your draws.

Yes, it's timed for max. 10 rounds, but it's do-able. (We'd beat it first time in round 7)
Just shuffle the cards and have an other round of fun

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T
msg tools
This level definitely has a different feel than the other early ones, because of the short and unpredictable time limit. (I have only played up to 6).

1) Be aggressive with attacking the boss. You can't wait to get yourself sorted and you have to accept damage.
2) The yellow boss card where the boss jumps to a random mech is actually helpful because he is always in range for attacks and his damage is spread across the players.
3) The yellow boss card which closes the shields (and heals at level 2) is basically game over, so don't select it if you have ANY choice.
4) Draw well. It is probably 7 mech turns minimum to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael gave some good advice, I'll add:

Schematics are very strong in boss fights, since you get to choose the color they deal damage in. One character has a very strong reusable schematic that unlocks early and helps a ton.

Also, building for mobility is extremely useful. Our group usually tried to get turn, omnistomp, attack, turn, omnistomp, attack. We were very good at taking down shields pretty early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Sweden
Västerås
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! I guess we just really sucked at this one! It just felt so different from the previous missions. We will have another go at it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.