Subject: Rule clarification: claiming a win with stashed gold rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pouyan A.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
When claiming a win with stashed gold, do you beed to be in your home port to display your stash and officially claim them as glory points? Or can you be anywhere to claim it?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calidoggg wrote:
When claiming a win with stashed gold, do you beed to be in your home port to display your stash and officially claim them as glory points? Or can you be anywhere to claim it?

Thanks in advance.

You have to be in your home port.

Wrong answer; see below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouyan A.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks. Rule book didn't specifically say (at least in the non-expansion one) so that's why I asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking it was in the rules, but if not there then it's in the FAQ. You should download that from the files section if you haven't done so; there are quite a few other gray areas it will clear up for you.

Repeated the wrong answer, but I'll stand by the suggestion to download the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouyan A.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Sphere wrote:
I was thinking it was in the rules, but if not there then it's in the FAQ. You should download that from the files section if you haven't done so; there are quite a few other gray areas it will clear up for you.

Not there either. But it's fine, makes complete sense to declare your stashed gold as glory points only when you're at your home port.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think these answers are entirely accurate. You must be in your home port to stash gold, but you do NOT need to be in your home port to claim stashed gold for the win. And remember, no more than half your points may come from stashed gold. These rules are clearly explained on page 9 of the original rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have the rule book in front of me but I believe you have to be in your home port to stash the gold but if it is already stashed there is no need to be in your home port to use the stashed gold towards your 10 (or higher) glory points.

Edit: Took so long posting Harold been me to commenting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouyan A.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah. It appears it's left up to interpretation. Rule book doesn't specifically say we have to be in home port to declare the stash as glory points. But since it's not clearly stated either, minus a response from Christian verifying either way, I think I like the requirement to be at your home port to declare your stashed gold as part of your glory points. Unless you guys can think of a logical reason or a game-breaking reason to not play this way. Let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. I also thought you had to be in your home port. I don't have the game with me right now so I'm not sure where I read that.

Good question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
If it doesn't say you have to be, then why would you assume so? It says you have to be in your home port in order to stash gold. But, you don't have to stash gold as your final action in order to get to 10 vps. In fact, you could even theoretically reach 10 vps without even stashing any gold.

Also, there's a card in the game (Rumor?) that allows a player to stash gold in one of the ports along the north coast of S. America. And there's a port ability that allows any player to stash gold there for an additional 5 coin fee. It doesn't follow that one would stash their final VP amount in such a port and then have to go back to their home port to claim any previously-stashed gold in order to win. Nonsense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
calidoggg wrote:
When claiming a win with stashed gold,...

I think the problem is with the above statement. Players announce the end game trigger by declaring they have 10+ VPs. There is no distinction with how they produced their final vps, whether by stashed gold or combat, or fulfilling a mission, etc. Makes no difference in game terms. The only thing your home port has to do with it is if they are stashing gold, then they need to be in their home port or one of the two ports I mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calidoggg wrote:
Yeah. It appears it's left up to interpretation. Rule book doesn't specifically say we have to be in home port to declare the stash as glory points. But since it's not clearly stated either, minus a response from Christian verifying either way, I think I like the requirement to be at your home port to declare your stashed gold as part of your glory points. Unless you guys can think of a logical reason or a game-breaking reason to not play this way. Let me know.

No one is supposed to be certain how much you have stashed and if you manage to stash your 50 without anyone noticing you won't be target number one. In most of our games once someone is close to 5 Glory points they are considered high target priority ... even to the merchants if they don't think the have a good chance to get to 10 quick enough! Plus having to be in your home port kind of reduces the value of the port that lets you pay extra to stash outside of your home port, or the Spanish captain that can stash in any Spanish port, or the Glory card that let you stash anywhere.

Play as you wish of course and Christian will likely weigh in at some point.

Edit: I guess trying to watch a movie while responding I should expect that someone would beat me to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouyan A.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
kingmaker fan wrote:
calidoggg wrote:

No one is supposed to be certain how much you have stashed and if you manage to stash your 50 without anyone noticing you won't be target number one. In most of our games once someone is close to 5 Glory points they are considered high target priority ... even to the merchants if they don't think the have a good chance to get to 10 quick enough! Plus having to be in your home port kind of reduces the value of the port that lets you pay extra to stash outside of your home port, or the Spanish captain that can stash in any Spanish port, or the Glory card that let you stash anywhere.

Edit: I guess trying to watch a movie while responding I should expect that someone would beat me to it!

Very valid points. However, thematically, I can chalk up those remote stash abilities to being able to use a courier ship or something like that to send my cash on to my home port. Lol, is that too much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouyan A.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
kingmaker fan wrote:

No one is supposed to be certain how much you have stashed and if you manage to stash your 50 without anyone noticing you won't be target number one.

BTW Dave, I only am talking about claiming the stash when CLAIMING VICTORY. Of course you can keep the stash a secret during gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
calidoggg wrote:
Lol, is that too much?

Yes.

I just looked it up, and the rumor card I was thinking of is "Coastal Caves" which states (in part):
Quote:
While at sea in the Cartagena sea-zone you may, as an action, deposit or retrieve stash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no requirement for being in your home port to declare a victory using stashed gold. The rules state that you declare a victory when you have 10 glory points, but there is no additional requirement other than the remaining players get to finish the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calidoggg wrote:
kingmaker fan wrote:
calidoggg wrote:

Very valid points. However, thematically, I can chalk up those remote stash abilities to being able to use a courier ship or something like that to send my cash on to my home port. Lol, is that too much?

So your Glory is only good in your home port if its related to gold but non-gold related Glory is good throughout the region? Play as you like!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry guys, it's been a long time since I played and I should do a refresher before answering such questions off the cuff. I remember having to race home on the last turn after somebody else declared, and was thinking that was on account of having to be there to count my stash. Actually it was because I had to add to my stash before counting.

Once again, I'm sorry for having given the wrong answer. I'll be more careful in future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calidoggg wrote:
kingmaker fan wrote:

No one is supposed to be certain how much you have stashed and if you manage to stash your 50 without anyone noticing you won't be target number one.

BTW Dave, I only am talking about claiming the stash when CLAIMING VICTORY. Of course you can keep the stash a secret during gameplay.

I just think that is a pretty big thing to have left out of the rules if one has to be in their home port to use stashed gold in their 10! And I still think the stashing for an extra 5 port, the Spanish stashing captain, and the Glory card were all included to allow someone to reach that 10 without that perilous run for home!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Sorry guys, it's been a long time since I played and I should do a refresher before answering such questions off the cuff. I remember having to race home on the last turn after somebody else declared, and was thinking that was on account of having to be there to count my stash. Actually it was because I had to add to my stash before counting.

Once again, I'm sorry for having given the wrong answer. I'll be more careful in future.

Yes, it does make for some harrowing runs and some spirited fights when one HAS to get home to win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calidoggg wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Do not need to be in home port to win.

The rules say you can reveal the stashed points at any time.

Rules Pg 3: Once a player reaches 10 Glory Points (including the
secret points for stashed Gold – see “Stash”), he declares
so and the game ends after everyone has had their turn.

I have won a few times without being in my home port. It's better that way, as people tend to hunt you down when they think you are near a win. This method is more like a ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

No worries, you are one of the most consistently accurate voices in these forums. You are allowed the occasional flub with needing a flogging!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouyan A.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the replies. I admit my understanding is wrong. After further thought, makes sense for you to not be required to be at home port to declare stash as glory during a victory claim. Sorry for all the hoopla!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite often, what happens is that a player has enough gold on board to win the game, but hasn't stashed it. He makes a mad dash to his home port (or another location allowing him to stash), which makes him a target for other players to attack. If he makes it and declares victory after stashing, he just happens to be coincidentally in his port at end game. But it doesn't have to end that way - he could stash gold before he has 10 points, then head out for another glory or two needed to end the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouyan A.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I have another question, related to this one:

Scenario: 3-player game.
Let's say the first player has claimed victory with stashed gold. The next two players then get one more turn each to possibly catch up or beat him. Let's say the second player has a chance to attack the first player and kills the captain. However, at the end of this round, both player 2 and 3 don't have 10 glory points yet.

Does the player's claim to victory get vanquished for yet another turn, since he has to pick a new captain? Will there be another round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.