Michael Moon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi guys,

I've been posting a little bit in the Board Game Design section about movement mechanics and said a few times about posting my game into here so that people could understand better what I am talking about.

Currently my game is themed on a world that has been sundered and the elements have gone wild, wondering out into the world will reveal a ever changing scene of the elements battling it out to seek control over the world.

To represent this, there is the Game Board which is made up of Tile pieces. These tile pieces are drawn out, not knowing what they are, and get placed so they connect up to other tile pieces. The placing down of Tiles happen when a character moves off a tile "Into the Void", essentially if there is a exit off the tile where a tile isn't placed, draw one and place it in the orientation you want.

Speaking of orientation, there are five different World Tiles, the Crossroads, the Straight, the Turning, the Junction, and the Deadend. They all have different pathways meaning the Game Board is built up to be a maze of different paths from the Starting Tile known as 'The Last City of Itasa', the last standing bastion on the world of Itasa. There are also other tiles known as the Lost Tiles, these are in the world to represent the lost technology of the world native inhabitants, the Itasians.

When a character move onto a World Tile they draw from the Elemental Deck, this deck reveal a location card for a element, there are cards for each element and locations can either be enduring, erratic, or inert, the type effecting what it does to the players. If a card is enduring it is in play for the whole game, erratic means it disappears at the end of the round, while inert locations don't do anything at all and will be discarded at the end of the round. Different locations can do different things, if they are not inert.

For a while I was going to use a eight sided dice for movement, a player would roll the D8 and add on any bonus, move to new tiles and draw new locations. However recently I have thought that the dice roll would add another layer of randonness in a game that is already pretty random. Therefore I am thinking of a new system of actions with Expedition being an action. This action would be where you move your character off its current tile, either to a already drawn tile or into the void where you'll draw a new tile. Any card drawn on that tile is all resolved in that Expedition action, if you have to do combat then that is included with the movement.

You can preform an action multiple times, meaning you could do the expedition three times, moving three tiles, offering far more control to the players. I am also thinking of a system where you can spend willpower to gain an extra action to do something. Of course willpower is a very limited resource and spending it all wouldn't be a smart move.

There is much more that I can write up about my prototype game but that is the concepts at are pretty concrete at the moment. For now just those, let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One idea could be that move to a new / unexplored location costs 2 Actions, but a move to a known location costs 1. Seems reasonable that exploring new territory involves more caution / less speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another idea: spending Willpower gains you an Action this turn, but next turn you have one less Action available. This could be chained:

* Turn 1: (3 Actions available) use Willpower -> 4 Actions
* Turn 2: (2 Actions available) use Willpower -> 3 Actions
* Turn 3: (1 Action available) use Willpower -> 2 Actions
* Turn 4: rest!

Nett result is that over 4 turns you have used 9 Actions, as opposed to the usual 12. So, unlikely that someone will use it this much, but they can choose to. Another example:

* Turn 2: (2 Actions available) NO Willpower -> 2 Actions
* Turn 3: (3 Actions available) use Willpower -> 4 Actions
* Turn 4: (2 Actions available) NO Willpower -> 2 Actions

Nett result is that over 4 turns you have used 12 Actions, as normal.

NOTE: that once you choose Willpower, the penalty kicks in, even if you do not actually make use of all available actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Moon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
gamesbook wrote:
One idea could be that move to a new / unexplored location costs 2 Actions, but a move to a known location costs 1. Seems reasonable that exploring new territory involves more caution / less speed.

It does seem logical that moving onto unknown location would cost more, I feel however that it would slow down the pacing for the game too much.

I am going to have a think about the additional cost of exploring a unknown location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Moon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
gamesbook wrote:
Another idea: spending Willpower gains you an Action this turn, but next turn you have one less Action available. This could be chained:

* Turn 2: (2 Actions available) use Willpower -> 3 Actions
* Turn 3: (1 Action available) use Willpower -> 2 Actions
* Turn 4: rest!

Nett result is that over 4 turns you have used 9 Actions, as opposed to the usual 12. So, unlikely that someone will use it this much, but they can choose to. Another example:

* Turn 2: (2 Actions available) NO Willpower -> 2 Actions
* Turn 3: (3 Actions available) use Willpower -> 4 Actions
* Turn 4: (2 Actions available) NO Willpower -> 2 Actions

Nett result is that over 4 turns you have used 12 Actions, as normal.

NOTE: that once you choose Willpower, the penalty kicks in, even if you do not actually make use of all available actions.

This is a interesting idea, I do want there to be some visual(very noticeable) trade off when it comes to using your willpower, my current idea was trying to link it up to other places as well to make it as temping to use it as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.