Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Must have expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Lennon
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Kinds new to the game but really getting into it. Just wondering what you all felt were the best expansions and why? Was it because of upgrades or pilot attributes? I'm really interested in the tantive iv but not sure if it's worth it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone's bound to say 'All of them!'

The Tantive IV is good for the cards, and the model itself is very iconic and looks good on display.

Personally I found the Decimator an excellent expansion due to the way you can create different and very distinctive builds from the cards that are supplied with the ship. It's not my favourite ship, but it stands out as a fun expansion to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want the most value from a single box, you're looking for the veteran packs. All of them are great experience-in-a-box sets for the ships that come with them. My favorites are the imperial ones, but that's because I love TIE Interceptors and TIE Defenders.

The StarViper is the expansion that comes with the Autothrusters upgrade, which is great for so many ships. Unfortunately, the StarViper itself may be a tremendously fun ship, but it's a bit overcosted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lennoncc wrote:
Kinds new to the game but really getting into it. Just wondering what you all felt were the best expansions and why? Was it because of upgrades or pilot attributes? I'm really interested in the tantive iv but not sure if it's worth it

This is kind of such an open question that there's no real answer to it. What kind of ships do you like? What faction do you prefer? How much are you intending to get?

Honestly, I wouldn't get any of the big epic ships early on. You can't use them in normal games.

Starting out I'd be looking for some good ships you like with solid pilots, which still gives you tons of options.

I play Imperials, so I can list a few for that faction...

Imperial Veterans is definitely a really good one with two ships and makes the TIE Defenders very strong. Some other ships that come with all the right cards without having to buy other packs would be the Inquisitor's TIE and TIE f/o. Over time you'll have useful cards lying around from other purchases but right now likely not unless you proxy (which you should when possible). I've heard the TIE Striker is good right out of the package too, but don't have one yet myself.

Edit: if you want a large ship for Imperials, I recommend the Decimator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
lennoncc wrote:

For having fun, get what you want. I know that sounds obvious but if you are a fan of the Falcon for example, get it. You like seeing a bunch of A-Wings fly get them.

Because I was an initial playtester, I have kept getting at least one of each but rarely do the new expansions wow me in the way those first waves did of the iconic ships. I don't play competitively and so am almost to the point I think I am done. I can continue to play and be happy with what I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Veterans, without a doubt. Great cards, great pilots. And "cutting the cord"--really cool scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own nearly close to half of everything, but I LOVE X-Wing. An open ended question like that is impossible to answer though...

I just buy what looks cool and feels nostalgic. Hasn't failed me yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Lennon
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Proxy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lennoncc wrote:
Proxy?

The term originates in MtG, at least in the way it's used here. A proxy is a stand-in-for-the-real thing. In terms of X-Wing, it means that you can and should go ahead and use upgrade and pilot cards as you see fit, whether you own the original card or not. For example, Autothrusters is a very useful upgrade, and it only comes with the StarViper expansion - and only Scum players need / want that. So for casual games, you just spend the two points for Autothrusters during list building and maybe print out the card (or use an online or app list builder and maybe print the list), and play with Autothrusters even though you don't own the card.

For tournaments, you'll need the actual card. Everything else, just play the way you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Lennon
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Any rebel must haves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll say that a lot depends on how you play. There are some people who play high level competitive tournament play. For those games, there are numerous ships they don't consider to be "competitive". You will rarely see them on tournament tables. They might have an uphill battle. Or...maybe it's that the power creep is there if you add in a bunch of combos for some ships...but they aren't there for others. So...if you are wanting to play at the local tournaments, you might want to avoid some ships. One example is the T-65 X-wing. It rarely sees tournament play, but sometimes someone wins a Regionals with it.

If you don't do tournaments, then anything is fair game. It's all open. It's all about having fun and fly with the ships you want. There are 100 pt games and 101 other versions, including Epic and Cinematic.

One thing I will say about the CR-90 is that once you get one Epic ship, you will want another so you can battle it out. Just warning you.

There is a campaign with the CR-90 and I have a podcast that just reviewed all the missions for the campaign. It's called the Shuttle Tydirium podcast. Personally, I would change some things if you were going to play that campaign. It's a bit hard to win as Rebels as it is now, but with a few slight changes, then I think it's a balanced campaign. If you were thinking of getting it and want to know about it, then you can always listen to our episodes.

Personally, I think any ship, except the Tie Phantom, is a good addition to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
August222 wrote:
Imperial Veterans, without a doubt. Great cards, great pilots. And "cutting the cord"--really cool scenario.

I agree with loving the scenarios. I also love Preystalker from Slave I. I don't use the ship very often, but that scenario was good. So, Cutting the Cord is definitely a cool scenario, but it is in Imperial ACES. Not Veterans. Aces is a good expansion, but since it is 2 of the same ship, not great.

Since this is a totally subjective question, I will add my nickels worth.

I think the Most Wanted set for Scum is top notch. I play Scum often.

For Rebels, Rebel Aces is a super set.

For Imperials, Imperial Veterans is a super set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heychadwick wrote:
Personally, I think any ship, except the Tie Phantom, is a good addition to the game.

I'm glad you made it obvious that this is a subjective assessment Personally, I love the TIE Phantom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im totally new to the game, here is waht I was planning on getting based on what people had said.

2 x Core set (original)
1 x Imperial veterans
1 x Rebel aces

Is this okay? will the two expansion work well agains eachother?

any other thoughts, change something? this is litte over 100 $, so I dont want to spend more at the beginning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
2 x Core set (original)
1 x Imperial veterans
1 x Rebel aces

While the two core sets are the best value-for-money when it comes to ships, the X-Wing and TIE Fighter expansions come with different pilot and upgrade cards, some of them really good. So you can, if you want, switch out one of those two cores for a TIE and an X-Wing. Or you can just print out Wedge Antilles and Howlrunner and have fun.

In terms of balance, with the things you're planning to buy, the rebels might have a hard time punching through the defenses of a TIE Defender with the x7 title. I think you'd have more fun with Imperial Veterans instead of Imperial Aces (and Interceptors are more interesting and varied to fly than Defenders, too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest not getting two of the same core. One of each would give you more variety of ships/cards/pilots as well as having the new damage deck from the new core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
Im totally new to the game, here is waht I was planning on getting based on what people had said.

2 x Core set (original)
1 x Imperial veterans
1 x Rebel aces

Is this okay? will the two expansion work well agains eachother?

any other thoughts, change something? this is litte over 100 $, so I dont want to spend more at the beginning

I think this is a good buy.

I really like having all the extra dice, and all the extra templates.

I personally think this is a good start. I like having the TIE fighters and X Wings. If you enjoy your gaming here, you can buy virtually anything you want after this and I suspect you will be happy doing so.

The suggestion of having 1 of each core set is just as good I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been mentioned, if you buy the core sets, it's a great idea to buy one of each. I am new, also, and am glad I got one of each!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I mix the two core sets? Damage decks and so on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:

Tokens, templates, range rulers are the same. The rules are the same, though the new core has a slightly better presentation for them.

The two damage decks are different, and both are tournament legal. The old one is slightly better for swarms (crits that don't do anything against swarmy ships), the new one slightly better for aces and ships that rely on secondary weapons (fewer crits that cripple those kinds of ships in particular).

The ships are obviously different, which is good IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
Tolchock wrote:

Tokens, templates, range rulers are the same. The rules are the same, though the new core has a slightly better presentation for them.

The two damage decks are different, and both are tournament legal. The old one is slightly better for swarms (crits that don't do anything against swarmy ships), the new one slightly better for aces and ships that rely on secondary weapons (fewer crits that cripple those kinds of ships in particular).

The ships are obviously different, which is good IMHO.
should I mix the two togheter for one big pile for both players. Randomize the two decks to the two players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't mix them together, they have different backs and a mixed deck isn't legal either.

Just hand a deck to each player, doesn't matter that much which at this point, you're not at a competitive level yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll often just use the same damage deck with a player for casual games. So much easier.

I say chuck the old damage deck. The only reason it's still allowed is because enough people whined loud enough. I say stick to the new deck for all purposes because they meant it to replace the old one entirely. It's just used by people to game the system now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lennoncc wrote:
Any rebel must haves?

Heroes of the Resistance is great. Rebel Aces is good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.