Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Herbaceous» Forums » Rules

Subject: Star Anise card question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Sittel
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
I admit it... I am a Euro-gaming snob.
badge
I'm addicted to racing 'round the cones (autocross).
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the regular herb planting limited to only the containers that are still open, or can it supplement any container, to better a score already established on an earlier planting turn?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For reference, this is the text from the Star Anise card contained in the funding exclusive Flavor Pack Mini Expansion.

Move 1 Herb from personal garden to any Container (does not count as Potting).

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcsittel wrote:
Is the regular herb planting limited to only the containers that are still open, or can it supplement any container, to better a score already established on an earlier planting turn?

I am puzzled how your use of the term "regular" planting connects to the subject line and a special case for Star Anise.

Otherwise, it seems to me that the rules are quite plain for the regular case in this quote regarding STEP 1: POT HERBS.

Each Container Card may only be used once per game.



(Bold as published)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Baraf
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the answer you are looking for is: When using that action, you still need to follow the rules of any given pot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcsittel wrote:
Is the regular herb planting limited to only the containers that are still open, or can it supplement any container, to better a score already established on an earlier planting turn?


Yes, you can add an herb to any container, even if that container has already been used, as long as the herb matches the container's rules.

For example:

* if you have four lavender in the large pot you may add one more lavender

* if you have lavender, tarragon, and mint in the wooden planter, you may NOT add one more lavender

* if you only have two herbs in the glass jar, you may add one more
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneleaf wrote:
mcsittel wrote:
Is the regular herb planting limited to only the containers that are still open, or can it supplement any container, to better a score already established on an earlier planting turn?


Yes, you can add an herb to any container, even if that container has already been used, as long as the herb matches the container's rules.

For example:

* if you have four lavender in the large pot you may add one more lavender

* if you have lavender, tarragon, and mint in the wooden planter, you may NOT add one more lavender

* if you only have two herbs in the glass jar, you may add one more


The use of "regular" in the original question makes me wonder if the question is perhaps referring to the opposite scenario? What if I use Star Anise to place a single card in an empty pot. Can I still perform a "regular" potting action for that pot later?
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
stoneleaf wrote:
mcsittel wrote:
Is the regular herb planting limited to only the containers that are still open, or can it supplement any container, to better a score already established on an earlier planting turn?


Yes, you can add an herb to any container, even if that container has already been used, as long as the herb matches the container's rules.

For example:

* if you have four lavender in the large pot you may add one more lavender

* if you have lavender, tarragon, and mint in the wooden planter, you may NOT add one more lavender

* if you only have two herbs in the glass jar, you may add one more


The use of "regular" in the original question makes me wonder if the question is perhaps referring to the opposite scenario? What if I use Star Anise to place a single card in an empty pot. Can I still perform a "regular" potting action for that pot later?


I don't think so. I believe the distinction is that moving the single herb with Star Anise doesn't consume your potting action for that turn -- so you can move one herb to an already potted container, then do a normal potting with another container.

Hopefully @ebaraf can verify.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
stoneleaf wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:
stoneleaf wrote:
mcsittel wrote:
Is the regular herb planting limited to only the containers that are still open, or can it supplement any container, to better a score already established on an earlier planting turn?


Yes, you can add an herb to any container, even if that container has already been used, as long as the herb matches the container's rules.

For example:

* if you have four lavender in the large pot you may add one more lavender

* if you have lavender, tarragon, and mint in the wooden planter, you may NOT add one more lavender

* if you only have two herbs in the glass jar, you may add one more


The use of "regular" in the original question makes me wonder if the question is perhaps referring to the opposite scenario? What if I use Star Anise to place a single card in an empty pot. Can I still perform a "regular" potting action for that pot later?


I don't think so. I believe the distinction is that moving the single herb with Star Anise doesn't consume your potting action for that turn -- so you can move one herb to an already potted container, then do a normal potting with another container.

Hopefully @ebaraf can verify.


I would have thought it would since step 1 is pot. At the time you draw the star anise you would have already potted (or skipped potting) for the turn
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rusticchasm wrote:
stoneleaf wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:
stoneleaf wrote:
mcsittel wrote:
Is the regular herb planting limited to only the containers that are still open, or can it supplement any container, to better a score already established on an earlier planting turn?


Yes, you can add an herb to any container, even if that container has already been used, as long as the herb matches the container's rules.

For example:

* if you have four lavender in the large pot you may add one more lavender

* if you have lavender, tarragon, and mint in the wooden planter, you may NOT add one more lavender

* if you only have two herbs in the glass jar, you may add one more


The use of "regular" in the original question makes me wonder if the question is perhaps referring to the opposite scenario? What if I use Star Anise to place a single card in an empty pot. Can I still perform a "regular" potting action for that pot later?


I don't think so. I believe the distinction is that moving the single herb with Star Anise doesn't consume your potting action for that turn -- so you can move one herb to an already potted container, then do a normal potting with another container.

Hopefully @ebaraf can verify.


I would have thought it would since step 1 is pot. At the time you draw the star anise you would have already potted (or skipped potting) for the turn


Oh, right you are! So ignore that last thing I said. :-|

Which means I have to interpret the rules the other way and say the that a pot/planter used by Star Anise does not count as used, and can be planted normally later. Although, I also think that would be a tactical mistake as it would give clues as to which other herbs you wanted for that planter (so I will never do it myself).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Kirk
msg tools
So, with the star anise card, has there been an official answer on whether we can use a pot that has already been flipped. I would think not, but other comment thinks otherwise
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capitan k wrote:
So, with the star anise card, has there been an official answer on whether we can use a pot that has already been flipped. I would think not, but other comment thinks otherwise


By "flipped" do you mean potted? The purpose of star anise is to allow one more herb to be planted in any pot as long as the rules for that pot are followed, especially after the pot has already been planted. Using star anise on an empty pot would be... less optimal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Kirk
msg tools
Yes, by flipped i mean potted. For Star Anise, I agree it is more optimal to add to a potted card, but is it legal? Ethan, how do you know this is Eduardo's intention? Forgive the question if you were involved in development or if previously discussed with designer.

This was the only card that received questions during explanation of game yesterday. It was also asked if you can add the one card to the 'pair' pot and later pot an uneven number to complete the pair.

Great game and beautiful production!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is legal. The discussion was either here or on the KS page/comments, I no longer remember where.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group had quite the argument over the Star Anise card last night and after checking here today I do not see a definitive answer to our question.

One of our players had not put ANY herbs into any of their pots when the Star Anise came out. Since the action is not optional we said she had to put a single herb into one of the 4 pots at this point. She wanted to know if she could add to this pot later and I was of the opinion that she could not because once having put an herb into a pot it would be considered used and could not be potted again per the "Each Container Card may only be used once per game" rule.

I interpreted the (does not count as Potting) stipulation on the card to signify that the act of putting the herb into the pot at the time the Star Anise comes out is not technically considered taking a "potting" action which is why while taking the Star Anise action you can add an herb to a pot that has already been potted. BUT that it does not indicate that on future turns after the Star Anise card has long been discarded you can add more herbs to a pot that you put a single card into due to the Star Anise card.

I would greatly appreciate an official statement on whether you can later add herbs to a pot that contains a single herb placed due to the Star Anise card. Thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
niledesign wrote:
My gaming group had quite the argument over the Star Anise card last night and after checking here today I do not see a definitive answer to our question.

One of our players had not put ANY herbs into any of their pots when the Star Anise came out. Since the action is not optional we said she had to put a single herb into one of the 4 pots at this point. She wanted to know if she could add to this pot later and I was of the opinion that she could not because once having put an herb into a pot it would be considered used and could not be potted again per the "Each Container Card may only be used once per game" rule.

I interpreted the (does not count as Potting) stipulation on the card to signify that the act of putting the herb into the pot at the time the Star Anise comes out is not technically considered taking a "potting" action which is why while taking the Star Anise action you can add an herb to a pot that has already been potted. BUT that it does not indicate that on future turns after the Star Anise card has long been discarded you can add more herbs to a pot that you put a single card into due to the Star Anise card.

I would greatly appreciate an official statement on whether you can later add herbs to a pot that contains a single herb placed due to the Star Anise card. Thanks.


We have always played that the star anise "breaks" the rules and you can add to a pot that contains herbs or one that is empty (and fill it later)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.